Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2008, 05:37 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
philadelphia , Pennsylvania
city-based fulltiming?

hi everybody after lurking for a short bit, this is my first post to the forum.

many of you seem to be drawn the travel aspect of airstream living, whereas the simplicity is most attractive to me. The freedom to pick up and move to another coast is fantastic, but it's not where-I'm-at right now. anyway, my question:

is it possible to live fulltime in an airstream within a major city, such as philly? or just outside it? do they let you do that? is there space for that? Almost everyone on this forum seems to be set up in a proper campground. I'd like to move out of my house into a large airstream, but due to my job which gives me surprisingly good health benefits, i cannot live more than several miles from the center of town. Plus my heart is tethered to this city. I'm currently living in a suburb just past philly int'l airport, which is a nice distance from work and center city. whom in my local government should I ask about this?

is this entirely impossible? my naysayer "friends" think so.

i have never even set foot in an airstream before, so surely I will be asking some pretty naive questions. and if they're answered elsewhere in this or other forums, just link me please.

thank you all
headfirst
MeoHead1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
_

. , .
it's valentine's day so follow YOUR heart!

hi meo' and welcome to the forums!

lots of folks log on here and recount the same basic theme...

-simplify life
-reduce possessions
-cut costs
-go smaller
-live off the land (really this could be 'on' the land )
-and do it in an a/s....

so there are many threads that start this way but are hard to find because of funny titles...

like "i'm checkin' out" .....ok, that's not a real thread so don't search for it...

here is ONE of the typical versions...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ity-26143.html

for starters,

-research ALL of the rv parks and trailer parks in/near philly....

-then visit some and get a feel for this 'simple living' stuff....

because an rv park is the easiest place to live in an rv, month2month.

-next visit some rv dealers (any brand) and crawl around inside trailers...

-are these small spaces REALLY gonna fill your needs?

-then find out the zoning issues for areas YOU think you'd like to park it....

-that might be a vacant lot or on someone's property or in a back yard somewhere...

nice suburbs tend to have MORE restrictions that urban areas.

years ago a medical facility i worked in put hook ups out back and i lived in their parking lot, 4 a coupl'a years...

that stuff doesn't happen much anymore, except on tv.

IF i were trying to do this thing in philly, it still gets COLD there right?

i'd look for warehouse space to buy or lease and roll an a/s INSIDE it...

and hook up to the water, electric, and sewer...

then ride a small wheeled bicycle to worknplay....

Trophy Bikes

again zoning probably wouldn't allow this, but they don't allow chop shops or brothels in the city of brotherly love either...

cheers
2air'

and keep asking questions, it's all part of the aluminizing process, resistance is futile!

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey...welcome to the Airforums! I wouldn't be surprised if there are some folks here who are looking at the same possiblities as you are...the idea is fascinating and somehow alluring, I admit...I think it would be great to be able to live in an urban setting in an Airsteram...let us know what you find out...

See you down the street...
TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
thanks. that link had a lot of sobering information in it. The initial investment is barely handle-able right now, and so the maintenance could be a huge $$ challenge.

I'm trying to gtd myself clear of all the clutter in my house, and AS-life seems to be a part of some higher path, further along. geez, there's so much i hadn't considered. Naive!

well, I'll keep poking around. thanks, community.
-meo
Old 02-18-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Have you thought of living in a marina? I have a friend of mine who has a 26' Bayliner that he keeps in a marina on the river in Philadelphia. He has water, electric, sattelite tv and lockerrrom with shower. He runs an electric boat heater and claims it keeps it comfortable. He stays 2-3 days a week for his job. The marina is right next to the rock lobster and is just a couple of blocks from Old city...

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:07 PM   #6
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoHead1st
geez, there's so much i hadn't considered. Naive! well, I'll keep poking around. thanks, community. meo
Not to worry, Meo. You keep poking around and asking questions. That's how you do it. That's how you develop your dream and make it work. Anything is possible as long as you follow your muse let it happen.

It's all good.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Several things to consider as you have obviously discovered, though not completely impossible I would dare say. If economics are the primary concern, I would be interested in knowing if a full-time spot in an RV park that suits your needs would actually be any less cost than say, a studio apartment.

I could go on forever. I have erased so many thoughts here my backspace key is getting flaky.

You are on the correct path. Continue your research, and don’t jump “head1st”

Best Regards!

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Trailers are best when outdoor temps are such that one can crack a few windows. Week after week of 40F or 98F can be a bit depressing, so figure on this.

Still, I'd look at RV parks first. It's nice to have neighbors. I've met some college students saving money by living in trailers (and having a girlfriend with a place of her own seems to be key for avoiding claustrophobia). Second, might be you could do some work for the park and help offset fees.

The simple life (fewer possessions) is nice. Just remember that you'll have to work on it, and you'll want the skills of both a car mechanic as well as the contractors we all hire to work on our homes; as a way of looking at problems and their solutions. Have a look at some of the plumbing and electrical repair problems detailed on this great forum and see if you are comfortable with that.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:41 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
This year I spent over 60 nights in the L.A. area, mostly in huntington beach, malibu and chula vista. All in rv parks and close to the customers I need to see in southern california. That being said living in a streamer during extended cold wether would well be a challenge. In a nutshell living in a city can be done, you need all the hook ups and power so a rv parks or a county/city rv park is a must. I like the boat idea in a city marina, always good folk at marinas and the location may very well be what you are looking for. remember, be careful what you wish for.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
I must have had the same dream. As has been suggested I drove around to all the RV parks in my area. Actually there were more than I initially thought and I've still got a few left on my list. Some of them are very nice and quite appealing. I found it interesting because each park has it own personality. The one I really like is situated on a lake, allows full-timing for about $300 per month and is within an hour commute to the center of town. This park even allows hard-line telephone service. It occurred to me to spend a little time moving and spending a few months or weeks at different spots.

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:08 AM   #11
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman

years ago a medical facility i worked in put hook ups out back and i lived in their parking lot, 4 a coupl'a years...

that stuff doesn't happen much anymore, except on tv.
Actually in Boise both the major hospitals have RV Parking and full hookups for no additional charge. It can be a long trip for some to be treated. They are there primarily for patients and family. A nice touch.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Mariners that have facilities for on boat living may also entertain a trailer . I stayed at one once in Nova Scotia that was set up that way. It wouldn't hurt to ask.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

We are living full time in a 31 ft Sovereign in an RV park 20 miles from the center of Tampa Fl. The cost is very affordable and we are close to everything. The amenities fit our lifestyle and it's a very nice park with lots of big oak trees with spanish moss hanging from them.

That being said, if you decide to go this route, you should be able to find the kind of RV park to fit your needs. The nice part is if you decide you don't like the park you choose, you can hitch your home up and move. Works well if you are transfered, also.

No need to pack, rent a truck and unpack somewhere else.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Marie
Old 03-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #14

Currently Looking...
this is great information, thanks everyone

$300/mo sounds like a lot of money for property to which I have to carry my own shelter. In the single house i live in now I rent a room for little more than that.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoHead1st
this is great information, thanks everyone

$300/mo sounds like a lot of money for property to which I have to carry my own shelter. In the single house i live in now I rent a room for little more than that.

Well, the owner of the park has to pay all the costs associated with it. Taxes, infrastructure, maintenance and a little profit. $300 sounds cheap to me.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:50 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lodi , California
I've shared your thoughts about city-based fulltiming. If one is willing to do without full hook-ups, (say, have access to electrical but get fresh water and dump your tanks periodically at a truck stop with facilities), one would have a lot more flexibility. But then a tow vehicle (or motorhome instead of just a trailer) would be required. Maybe you could make an arrangement with a local business with ample, secluded space to trade some "security" presence in exchange for space rent. Perhaps a health club (giving you locker room access) might be ideal. I like the marina idea, too, with access to bathroom/showers by the docks, separate from the clubhouse, but I would think they'd be more likely to charge you rent.
MartyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyK
Maybe you could make an arrangement with a local business with ample, secluded space to trade some "security" presence in exchange for space rent.
Another possible option would be to live on a construction site in exchange for security.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Lot Rental

Most rental lots include water, sewer, electric and "amenities" - which could be an exercise room, shower room, pool, game room, etc.

Paula Ford
Old 03-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
Well, the owner of the park has to pay all the costs associated with it. Taxes, infrastructure, maintenance and a little profit. $300 sounds cheap to me.
The park I was describing for $300 a month is situated on a lake with spaces under trees within throwing distance of the water. Many of the spaces are directly on the water. There is a large community house with plenty of open space, tables, dining room, kitchen, sofas, big screen TV, and showers, plus the standard amenities such as electrical and sewage hook-ups. This park is exclusively RV so there are not tent campers. It's situated on a larger working ranch. When I drove through most of the folks there were retired and the park had a nice quiet, peaceful feeling. How could one "reside" in such an environment any cheaper?

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:14 AM   #20
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocoque
The park I was describing for $300 a month is situated on a lake with spaces under trees within throwing distance of the water. There is a large community house with plenty of open space.... When I drove through most of the folks there were retired and the park had a nice quiet, peaceful feeling. How could one "reside" in such an environment any cheaper?
Sounds great! What's their 'policy' on full-timing there? Do they have a time limit? Is the park an easy commute to where you work (seems everytime I'm in S.A., all I encounter is road construction, especially on that #@%$!! loop!)?

$300/mo. seems about the "low" average for parks around central Texas. Make sure and have a surge protector on the electric and pressure regulator on the H2O... some older parks have some infrastructure quirks...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote