Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Chatham , Ontario
Question Kwik-Eze steps

2000 Land Yacht 30'

I have just taken my MH out of storage and I can't get the steps to retract. I have lubricated the steps, checked fuses under the dash, behind the drivers seat and under the bed with no success. Anyone have any ideas?? I also checked the useless manual provided by the manufacturer they do not provide troubleshooting ideas or a way to manually retract the steps.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
robber2711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:55 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Robber, I had a similar problem on my 2004 LY and I think it was one of the battery sets that had discharged. I cheked everything I could think of while it wasn't working, then pulled it out of storage and took it home (about 10 miles) thinking I would work on it there. When I got home it was working fine. I blamed it on a discharged battery. Haven't had the problem since.

I do not know of a way to manually retract the steps.

Sam
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Had a similar problem a couple of years ago with my LY - it seems that the motor to retract the step had worn brushes. I found that using a mallet to tap on it would get it to work. After a year of this, I just had the motor assembly changed, and the problem was solved.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
My 2005 LYG has a green lighted toggle switch on the narrow wall on the left as you step up into the MH. I know that if I turn the switch on when the step is extended, that the step will stay extended even when driving.

Also, when that same switch is in the off position, and I am parked, with the ignition off and I open my door, my step extends and stays extended until I turn on the ignition and shut the door.

I know this sounds confusing, but hope it helps. Check around for a switch inside the coach that interacts with the step.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Rubber mallet definitely the easy short term fix if it is just a small amount of corrosion but when I replaced mine I took it apart to see what the problem was and it seems the motor they used is from a ford taurus window operator. Corrosion of white metal motor casing, the entire motor shaft was jammed with the white powder.
Long hard job due to weld on one of the bolts holding the step wasn't holding in place so the nut and bolt would turn. Don't put fingers or arms anywhere near the unit if power is still connected, it doesn't have a failsafe shutoff. It's automated computer designed to operate when conditions are met. Door closed, ignition on or off with key in so you also need to check magnet switch in door is working too.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
........you also need to check magnet switch in door is working too.
I forgot about the magnet switch, man, these things are sophisticated!
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Not sure its the same step, but on the Clipper I occasionaly have to tap the linkage with the rubber mallet to get it to close. Good lubrication on the slides is a must. I put a chunk of rubber hose on the stop just to change the stop position a bit and that seemed to help. I have a new motor in storage, but I want to get my money out of the original.
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
this is easy to fix

If you go to the Kwikee step website there is a troubleshooting manual. My steps stopped working just recently and it turned out that the motor had worn brushes. I ordered the motor direct from the manufacturer and it was $40.00. I unplugged the old motor then removed 3 bolts the motor comes right off. Easy peasy to replace. Works great now.
t7389sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Kwikee, Clipper, Land Yacht

On the CLIPPER the KWIKEE step is a "series 42" and my research indicates it takes the standard motor. (series 23 triple step requires the high torque motor)
The motor that fits "series 42" is "Dorman 742-206" for the 95-86 Taurus, Sable, 93-88 Continental. Drivers window lift motor. SKU 1330206-E6DZ5423394A-742-206-TAURUS-2
http://www.dormanproducts.com/catalo...LiftMotors.pdf

Page 5 of 20 shows the picture.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Rubber mallet definitely the easy short term fix if it is just a small amount of corrosion but when I replaced mine I took it apart to see what the problem was and it seems the motor they used is from a ford taurus window operator. Corrosion of white metal motor casing, the entire motor shaft was jammed with the white powder.
Long hard job due to weld on one of the bolts holding the step wasn't holding in place so the nut and bolt would turn. Don't put fingers or arms anywhere near the unit if power is still connected, it doesn't have a failsafe shutoff. It's automated computer designed to operate when conditions are met. Door closed, ignition on or off with key in so you also need to check magnet switch in door is working too.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:32 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Chatham , Ontario
Thanks everyone for your assistance. Had the steps repaired at Camping World, needed new electronic module.
Thanks again.
Robber 2711
robber2711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Just completed repair on my ASLY 2000. The step would operate erratically raising and lowering and resting in the lowered position. Got the Kwikee manual #875 which does give some troubleshooting info and also references for the different motors in other series of steps. Mine is a single step series 28 as shown on the chart on p.10.

The fix were a poor connections for the magnetic reed switch between the control module and also switch to ground. PO must have changed the switch and twisted the pigtail to control module and pigtail to ground and taped the mess. Over time the connections corroded and the fix was to use inline crimp connectors. Works great now.
I know that this is an old thread but the fix is easy.

Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote