Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Steps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2011, 12:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Indianapolis , Indiana
'64 safari steps repair question

The "channels" on each side are cracked and need redone.
(the floor above the steps is torn out) but I still can't see much of anything regarding how the steps are fastened in. Does it require removing the aluminum skin below the steps, on the bottom of the trailer or something?
Are the steps welded on or held on by bolts?
I have someone that can re-do the boxed channel so the steps will work properly.
Any help from someone that has done this before, will be very appreciated. thank you, Greg
Homewrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
the step mounts to slotted outriggers. They are welded to the frame rails. You can buy new ones at Out of Doors Mart. Is the step missing also?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
Been a while, no pics on this one. Here is what I remember. For certian mine were welded in no bolts. Welded to /between the frame outriggers on either side of the door. Mine apparently had been left down and caught something, badly bent. I can't remember exactly why but with the floor out and the belly pan down it was easyer to repaired them in place. It took an tourch to heat/straighten and arc welder to reweld a seam. I do remember the most difficult part. A funky piece of angle steel, slit at the angle except for the ends with a lip that holds the steps up. aprox 1/16 x 1 1/2 wide. Welded into the step assembly, just below the door threshhold. Depends on "spring tension" for lack of the proper term, to hold the step up. NO adjustment. Had to heat/cool mine to shrink it somewhere around a 16th of an inch to get the proper tension to secure the step, real pain to deal with. While you're in there a number of us have found a flaw in the '64 safari. One or both of the body bows anchor bolts miss the frame outriggers either side of the door frame where they bolt down through the floor, attached only to the plywood. As the floor parimiter decays in the door area this allows movement and sometimes cracks in the skins around the door area. They only miss the out rigger by about an inch. Welding in an extension tab to the outrigger gives a solid attachment point for the body bow. Mine was so bad it even cracked the door frame. No doubt the bad axle and unbalanced running gear magnified the problem. If you rework the floor in the tail end there's a boltdown problem there also, much easyer than the door area.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:07 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Indianapolis , Indiana
Two informative and appreciated responses. A lot to go on. I've dreaded the sag at my door, but I'm about to wedge new floor against the body, and buy some time. Sounds like removing a section of belly skin is required. My steps are intact and usable. Might see if shoring up the frame with additional steel is accessable and do-able. Thank you truly.
Homewrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:01 AM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
if you can reinforce, you can replace. When you go and step out, your entire weight is on the step. It would suck to suddenly find yourself on the ground with a broken step and leg. Even worst would be the nice lady that just asked for a tour.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote