Old 06-23-2006, 12:05 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Somewhere on , the East coast
Ah Yes

Ah yes travelled the AL CAN Hwy in a VW bus, that was awhile back before a lot of improvements were made. Stuck one night in White Horse late on a Sun night...but I digress. Let us know where you go and how it handles. Are you going on Questa Grade? We go over that each time we go to Lompoc but haven't pulled an AS over it yet.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:20 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Los Osos , California
Yes...the AL CAN could be a whole thread of it's own, lol.

Shakedown cruise this past weekend was great. Everything worked well. Got a lot of smiles and nods and "nice rigs".

Door is a little hard to open...hate to keep throwing a hip into it to get it to go. (?)

What do you use to clean the floor? Is has that lino or vinyl flooring that seems sort of flat rather than glossy.

Still a little sloppy on the backing up. Need a bit more practice!

Old 06-26-2006, 12:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
If I lived in Los Osos I might not leave...very nice

Question off topic...does Montana de Oro have TT camping? I went many times 20 years ago or so and loved how secluded it seemed.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:06 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
TT? (Sorry not enough coffee yet)

There are about 50 sites that are fairly primitive but very pretty.
Maximum motorhome length 24-27 feet.
No hookups (and I don't think showers either) but there are toilets.
Lovely beach and cove and tons of great hiking trails...
Gorgeous wildflowers and a bit of poison oak.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
TT = Travel Trailer, more coffee probably wont help.

So, at 25'11" we can camp at Montana de Oro? Is it a county park/ How would we make reservations?
Old 06-26-2006, 10:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
It has probably been 30 years since I was at Montana de Oro ~ once lived in Baywood Park... great spot. Anyway, if my senior memory is actually working, I think it is a State Park... Great what you find when you "google" something: Here is the link: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=592

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
Old 06-26-2006, 11:08 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
Montana de Oro is a CA State Park. They have a local # (805)528-0513 for info. If you go online and type in "Montana de Oro State Park" you'll get a lot of info. Some of the literature I had said "Motorhomes up to 24ft." some said 27ft. so I would double check your set up with the people there to make sure. The fee is $15. Morro Bay is $25-$34 w/ hookups.

It is easier to get in there than Morro Bay State Park because it is primitive.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks for the details regarding Montana de Oro. We hope to stop there on our next coastal adventure.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:45 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
Cleaning new floor?

On the flooring issue...has anyone found a good cleaner that doesn't make the floor too shiny or waxy? I don't want to strip it either.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:11 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Cleaning the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hol & Lols
On the flooring issue...has anyone found a good cleaner that doesn't make the floor too shiny or waxy? I don't want to strip it either.
I would find out the manufacturer of the flooring if you can... we recently purchased new flooring and the guy who owned the company happened to wait on us. Anyway, he said the newer flooring should only be cleaned with warm water and maybe a little bleach... no detergent or cleaners... all that stuff leaves a residue. I am not sure how warm water will get a floor in a camper really clean... but to protect the finish (even if it is a matte finish) you might check out the mfg's recommendations. Maybe you can find something online...???

I usually clean my floors with Spic n Span, but the flooring guy indicated I wasn't doing my floors any favors... who knows... so many different opinions...

Good luck!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
Old 06-28-2006, 11:45 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Hi Lols & Hols

we use 'simple green' for the floors and all cabinetry. It disinfects and cleans but is very mild and gentle. Not very good for tough stains but after almost 4 years our floors, countertops and cabinets still look new.

It's one of those green cleaners, gentle on the environment and guranteed not to leave residues in your plumbing which with a RV we feel is very important.

For the bed sheets I personally think you do not need to spend the extra $$ for special sheets. Our corner bed is considered a full by AS and regular and fitted sheets work just fine.

All you need to do is buy 4 elastic corner sheet holders (K-Mart. target etc) and secure them under the mattress to the 4 corners of your fitted sheets. Voila! you're sheets are now perfect fitting!!

We use a comforter with a duvet on top for a clean and fast bed makeover. The window side of the mattress is hard to reach so the comforter duvet combo works great. Ikea is a fantastic place for those.

Somebody may have said this already but do you have solar panels? those would help you boondock longer. You are in a great area for those.

Have a happy summer!
Old 06-28-2006, 01:17 PM   #26
Happy Trails

2005 16' International CCD
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Delaware , Ohio
One thing about the sheets in the Bambi: The curbside rear sheet corner in particular, loves to ride right off the corner because it's so rounded. We use suspender-like fittings you can buy most places they sell sheets (Wallmart, etc.) to keep sheet corners in place. This works with other Airstreams that have rounded-corner beds, too. We got our sheets through the factory which usually has a good selection. Just tell them which Airstream you're pulling and they probably have a set.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:23 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Running Springs , California
Nice to see the Bambi thread getting a little action! For a while it was a little scary with no use. In addition to the earlier post on solar and battery conservation there are a lot of posts regarding small Honda and Yamaha generators. I think the Honda tends to be a little more popular. I like having an inverter charger so that I can keep my batteries up. We camp a little consumptively when it comes to energy, with, among other things, music inside and out. But, at least there are options beyond the battery conservation and solar.

Welcome to the obsession!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:40 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
Leveling tricks?

Any good tips for leveling the trailer? I live on a steep hill with an uneven driveway where I park the Bambi. Can I jack up the trailer and put blocks under the lowest wheel? Or will that damage something? It is so uneven that driving up on levelers doesn't always work. Ideas???
Thanks!