Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Los Osos , California
New Owner Questions

Is there a forum or a thread for new Airstream owners (or specifically Bambi newbies)? I have some probably fairly basic questions and am not sure where to ask them...is this the right place?
Thanks.
Hol & Lols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:52 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Yes, this is the place to ask, so ask away. You might want to review some of the Bambi threads. Questions seem to duplicate.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:57 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
Thanks. I couldn't find many Bambi threads...?

I saw this question posted somewhere but no one had replied.
Are there sheets, comforters etc. that actually fit the rear bed in the 16ft. Bambi? Where do you get them? Or do you just wing it with regular linens.

My dealer didn't have any Airstream catalogs for merchandise/parts etc. Is there such a thing or just what's available on line?

How long does the battery last if you are camping without hookups?
More technical questions later...I'm in the setting up stage.
TIA
Old 06-21-2006, 09:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Battery length depends on how much demand you put on it. I know that answer was not what you were looking for but it is the correct answer. If you are boondockers and can limit your batery usage to lights only it should last days.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:01 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hol & Lols
Thanks. I couldn't find many Bambi threads...?

I saw this question posted somewhere but no one had replied.
Are there sheets, comforters etc. that actually fit the rear bed in the 16ft. Bambi? Where do you get them? Or do you just wing it with regular linens.

My dealer didn't have any Airstream catalogs for merchandise/parts etc. Is there such a thing or just what's available on line?

How long does the battery last if you are camping without hookups?
More technical questions later...I'm in the setting up stage.
TIA
Bed sizes are fairly standard on AS. Several different models have the same size beds. Use the search tool (upper blue tool bar) and search for sheets or linens.

There are several places that make speciatly sheets and you may find some on the AS corp website - they have an online store. www.airstream.com

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome!

Quote:
Is there a forum or a thread for new Airstream owners (or specifically Bambi newbies)? I have some probably fairly basic questions and am not sure where to ask them...is this the right place?
Thanks.
Welcome to the forum and ask all the questions you need! Everyone here is really great ~ we all ask questions about a wide variety of things! Janet's suggest on the search tool is excellent, it takes a bit to learn to navigate the forum, but once you get the hang of it you will find lots and lots of info! Los Osos, you have great places to camp right near home! If this is your new trailer I suggest you do a weekend shakedown close to home to help answer some of the questions... battery life, etc. We used to have a SOB (some other brand) of RV and with 2 adults and a child could easily manage a 3 day weekend with our water supply and battery. We can be pretty frugal, however, if need be. No long showers... "sponge" bath or really short Navy shower. Good luck and have fun!
Mrs. Nor Cal Bambi
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:23 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
Thanks all. I'm taking the big shakedown cruise this weekend. Everything seems to be working on a quick trial. Is there anything that I should be sure to check or anything I should watch out for when I'm breaking in the new trailer? Are there some things that tend to need adjusting the first time out?
Old 06-22-2006, 03:51 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
Also, is the refridge supposed to be THAT loud???
Old 06-22-2006, 03:54 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Somewhere on , the East coast
Hi Hol & Lols

Los Osos - I think I know where that is! Aloha from a newbie 2005 Bambi owner also - 19'. Originally searched for Quicksilver edition but no bargains that I found. But we have a beauty and each time I walk in WOW can't believe it. Do you still experience that? Anyway maybe we can share our astonishment at how much there is to learn about these Airstreams. I call ours a "silver escape pod". Just sitting in it takes me away.....
dijer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:05 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
CaddyGrn

You are right about taking time to learn how to get around in these threads. I have sent notes I think are in cyberspace somewhere. If any of you all get strange notes from me about who knows what - sorry in advance, just ignore.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:44 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
Yes dijer, I have spent many moments this week just sitting in it, packing, organizing, and enjoying the space. I had a 16ft Scamp that I also loved (even drove that one to Alaska from CA before I sold it) but...wow, now THIS one. Wow. It feels so luxurious! Lots of bells and whistles that I didn't have before and better storage. I had to fold down the dinette every night to sleep in the Scamp. I really like the ready made bed in the back plus the dinette in the Quicksilver. And of course it just feels so substantial.

Congrats on yours too. I also liked the 19's but am used to the 16. And I have limited space to park/store it.

Funny, I call mine The Escape Pod too. I guess that's what we all like to do...escape.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome!

Some of us know where Los Osos is...

A new HD battery should run 48 hours +/-, depending on usage. Drains are furnace and lighting... One interesting trick is to carry a real long extension cord, in case you run out and there is an outlet somewhere in the neighborhood..

There is also a fun thread on mistakes people have made and are making.. Search for "dumb" and it should come up with more complete title including some asterisks... Hopefully that will encourage you to be not afraid..

The bad ones are backing in or pulling forward with jacks down, or hitting something.. (ALWAYS try to have spotter behind when in reverse...) and driving off with wires or hoses attached, TV antenna up, and cupboards and refrigerator unlatched.. (Don't ask..)

There is a thread on how to turn off refrigerator fan which is the noisemaker, including the times not to do it... search for refrigerator and fan...

Bed is deemed a "Queen" in bedding specs, though at small end of limits, and rounded corner makes fitted sheets a problem. You may find unfitted ones easier to deal with anyway. ANother tip is to consider small "memory foam mattress topppers" available from internet stores for much less than Linens and Things kinds of places. For ~40, you can have 2" of real comfy and insulating foam on top of the mattress, and enjoy. Some folks even slide mattress out and insert foam block between mattress and wall to gain a couple extra inches of width at one end..

Enjoy and let us know how "shakedown" trip went..

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Also, is the refridge supposed to be THAT loud???
Wait til you hear the water pump ...

Days are long at the summer solstice so you'll be able to avoid most lighting loads while you prove what you can expect from your battery. Let your battery work to control your hot water heater, fridge and other systems -- they won't take much. You'll even be able to run the furnace fan for a weekend if you conserve. For durability you don't want to discharge a battery much below 45%. Be aware that a battery recharges slowly from an alternator -- maybe needing 200-300 miles of driving before you've recharged. Get a 'battery minder' (Google on that) to hook up overnight after you get home.

Be sure to bring flashlights. We have an LED lantern we really like. Certainly don't anticipate using a microwave on battery. Solar panels will lack any substantial storage batteries. Many folks stand by their Honda eu2000i quiet generators, though one will not run your air conditioner. We use our Honda at breakfast and dinner time when boondocking to run lights without running the batteries down. Generally I'm glad to reserve an electrical site if I'm headed to a state park. State and national forests are another matter ... depends on location but frequently no hookups available in our area.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:36 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
Nice to know some people have heard of Los Osos, lol. I often get "Where?" in response to where are you from. It is on the Morro Bay and between 2 State Parks (Morro Bay and Montana de Oro) and next to the ocean so maybe I'll see some of you parked near by!

Good tips Condoluminum. I'm making a checklist so I don't pull out still attached to anything or dragging anything underneath! I'll check out the "dumb" threads and see how many mistakes I've already made and how many I can try to avoid. It does help to know you're not the only one, hehe.

I'll keep you posted. The poor AS is going to get a good workout this weekend. Happy trails all!
Old 06-22-2006, 11:05 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Ah Yes

Ah yes travelled the AL CAN Hwy in a VW bus, that was awhile back before a lot of improvements were made. Stuck one night in White Horse late on a Sun night...but I digress. Let us know where you go and how it handles. Are you going on Questa Grade? We go over that each time we go to Lompoc but haven't pulled an AS over it yet.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:20 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
Yes...the AL CAN could be a whole thread of it's own, lol.

Shakedown cruise this past weekend was great. Everything worked well. Got a lot of smiles and nods and "nice rigs".

Door is a little hard to open...hate to keep throwing a hip into it to get it to go. (?)

What do you use to clean the floor? Is has that lino or vinyl flooring that seems sort of flat rather than glossy.

Still a little sloppy on the backing up. Need a bit more practice!
Old 06-26-2006, 11:38 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
If I lived in Los Osos I might not leave...very nice

Question off topic...does Montana de Oro have TT camping? I went many times 20 years ago or so and loved how secluded it seemed.
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:06 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
TT? (Sorry not enough coffee yet)

There are about 50 sites that are fairly primitive but very pretty.
Maximum motorhome length 24-27 feet.
No hookups (and I don't think showers either) but there are toilets.
Lovely beach and cove and tons of great hiking trails...
Gorgeous wildflowers and a bit of poison oak.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
TT = Travel Trailer, more coffee probably wont help.

So, at 25'11" we can camp at Montana de Oro? Is it a county park/ How would we make reservations?
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
It has probably been 30 years since I was at Montana de Oro ~ once lived in Baywood Park... great spot. Anyway, if my senior memory is actually working, I think it is a State Park... Great what you find when you "google" something: Here is the link: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=592

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote