Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2006, 10:08 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Los Osos , California
Montana de Oro is a CA State Park. They have a local # (805)528-0513 for info. If you go online and type in "Montana de Oro State Park" you'll get a lot of info. Some of the literature I had said "Motorhomes up to 24ft." some said 27ft. so I would double check your set up with the people there to make sure. The fee is $15. Morro Bay is $25-$34 w/ hookups.

It is easier to get in there than Morro Bay State Park because it is primitive.
Hol & Lols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Thanks for the details regarding Montana de Oro. We hope to stop there on our next coastal adventure.
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:45 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
Cleaning new floor?

On the flooring issue...has anyone found a good cleaner that doesn't make the floor too shiny or waxy? I don't want to strip it either.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:11 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Cleaning the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hol & Lols
On the flooring issue...has anyone found a good cleaner that doesn't make the floor too shiny or waxy? I don't want to strip it either.
I would find out the manufacturer of the flooring if you can... we recently purchased new flooring and the guy who owned the company happened to wait on us. Anyway, he said the newer flooring should only be cleaned with warm water and maybe a little bleach... no detergent or cleaners... all that stuff leaves a residue. I am not sure how warm water will get a floor in a camper really clean... but to protect the finish (even if it is a matte finish) you might check out the mfg's recommendations. Maybe you can find something online...???

I usually clean my floors with Spic n Span, but the flooring guy indicated I wasn't doing my floors any favors... who knows... so many different opinions...

Good luck!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:45 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Hi Lols & Hols

we use 'simple green' for the floors and all cabinetry. It disinfects and cleans but is very mild and gentle. Not very good for tough stains but after almost 4 years our floors, countertops and cabinets still look new.

It's one of those green cleaners, gentle on the environment and guranteed not to leave residues in your plumbing which with a RV we feel is very important.

For the bed sheets I personally think you do not need to spend the extra $$ for special sheets. Our corner bed is considered a full by AS and regular and fitted sheets work just fine.

All you need to do is buy 4 elastic corner sheet holders (K-Mart. target etc) and secure them under the mattress to the 4 corners of your fitted sheets. Voila! you're sheets are now perfect fitting!!

We use a comforter with a duvet on top for a clean and fast bed makeover. The window side of the mattress is hard to reach so the comforter duvet combo works great. Ikea is a fantastic place for those.

Somebody may have said this already but do you have solar panels? those would help you boondock longer. You are in a great area for those.

Have a happy summer!
Old 06-28-2006, 12:17 PM   #26
Happy Trails

2018 28' International
Currently Looking...
Delaware , Ohio
One thing about the sheets in the Bambi: The curbside rear sheet corner in particular, loves to ride right off the corner because it's so rounded. We use suspender-like fittings you can buy most places they sell sheets (Wallmart, etc.) to keep sheet corners in place. This works with other Airstreams that have rounded-corner beds, too. We got our sheets through the factory which usually has a good selection. Just tell them which Airstream you're pulling and they probably have a set.
bhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:23 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Running Springs , California
Nice to see the Bambi thread getting a little action! For a while it was a little scary with no use. In addition to the earlier post on solar and battery conservation there are a lot of posts regarding small Honda and Yamaha generators. I think the Honda tends to be a little more popular. I like having an inverter charger so that I can keep my batteries up. We camp a little consumptively when it comes to energy, with, among other things, music inside and out. But, at least there are options beyond the battery conservation and solar.

Welcome to the obsession!
geosouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
Leveling tricks?

Any good tips for leveling the trailer? I live on a steep hill with an uneven driveway where I park the Bambi. Can I jack up the trailer and put blocks under the lowest wheel? Or will that damage something? It is so uneven that driving up on levelers doesn't always work. Ideas???
Thanks!
Old 07-10-2006, 08:18 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hol & Lols
Any good tips for leveling the trailer? I live on a steep hill with an uneven driveway where I park the Bambi. Can I jack up the trailer and put blocks under the lowest wheel? Or will that damage something? It is so uneven that driving up on levelers doesn't always work. Ideas???
I assume you are asking about parking your Bambi without the tow vehicle attached. This sounds like a safety headache about to happen.

I can discuss chocking the wheel on the unjacked side. I can discuss how the trailer's front jack isn't very strong if subjected to lateral forces. I can discuss just where to place the jack. But if the location is this tilted that jack had better be plumb or .... This just screams unsafe. I wouldn't want the liability of it sitting in my yard with one side so high in the air on some laid up blocks. Could I please suggest you look at some solution of engineering your parking area by contracting for a level concrete pad? The risks to life, limb and 'luminum of it falling off or rolling off the jack or blocks just aren't worth it.

The only second choice I could see is exploring some off-site storage rental.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:46 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
Thanks for your reply. I know the question sounds a bit vague. I am relatively new to trailering (my family never did it growing up) and I don't know anyone locally who has one so I am an admitted rookie. When parking, I do try to find the most level spot, I do chock the wheels, and I do know where to locate the jack. (I read the manual ) I do park it with the tow vehicle (not that big of a rookie, lol) and try to find the least uneven area but one side still ends up lower. I guess what I was wondering is, if there would be a problem jacking up the back to put a leveler under the lower wheel?

Also on a related subject...Is it going to damage the refrig to be not completely level while in the off position?

P.S. I will not be the least bit insulted by very basic advice. I can use all the help I can get!
Old 07-10-2006, 10:03 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Additional info needed

When you say it is a steep hill and an uneven driveway, does that mean that the driveway is also steep? Can you ball park the grade angle?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:04 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Before disconnecting from the tow vehicle level side to side by pulling or backing onto leveling blocks. Chock the wheels , disconnect and level front to rear. Jacking is not necessary. leveling block can be purchased or made from short pieces of lumber.----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:16 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
The street is steep turning into the driveway. The driveway is slanted and has uneven spots but is not terribly steep...a real challenge to back up into though!
Old 07-10-2006, 10:27 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
We use the yellow staking leveling blocks.. campingworld.com.. Think of legos for big boys.....The nice part about them is you can back in...put a level on the counter for side to side level ...and on the floor to see if it is the same and pull forward just a bit slide in a couple of blocks back up on them and you're good to go.... They don't take up much space in the AS storage compartment and ready for use in those hard to level spots....
AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:39 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
The safe way

Mike Lewis is right.

An easy way to align the leveling block is to position your AS where you want it. After you determine what size or how many leveling blocks you need by using a level (you will learn the right combinations trial and error after a few times), then place the block adjacent (outside) to the wheel you are raising as if you were centering the block on the axle about two inches fron the tire. Now, pull your AS forward just enough to clear the block as if it were under the wheel/tire. Now slide the block behind the wheel/tire and then back your AS back over the block untiol it is centered. It is easier to do this with the help of a spotter, but afetr a while, you can do it solo with a little extra skill.

Now you can level the fore/aft of your AS with the front jack after you disconnect your TV.

I hope this helps.

John
Old 07-10-2006, 10:43 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
We use the same blocks as AZ. We have a twin axle and always have enough blocks to do the job with the standard kit. Big bonus, they are yellow and almost impossible to loose.

John
Old 07-10-2006, 10:56 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
Thanks all. That is exactly what I needed. I was probably making it too complicated. But if you haven't seen it done...??? I will head out tomorrow and get some big boy legos (even though I am a girl ) and try the leveling blocks.

I may also look into pouring a level concrete pad as a more permanent solution as I intend to have my Airstream for a very long time.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:31 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Keep front close to ground...

Bob's comments above are good advice depending on which way the driveway slopes...

We use simple boards for leveling side-to-side, but yellow blocks are easier and we have left a few camoflaged boards behind...

The important thing not to do when leveling front/back is to have the front end jacked way up in the air on the electric jack... The jack won't handle motion loads at full extension, and could fail... Options include lots of blocks under the front of the trailer, or some other scheme, but it might make hitching and unhitching a challenge...

As for the refrigerator, several techs have suggested that it can handle 5 or 10 degrees off level. If you're uncomfortable moving around in the trailer, it is probably too much tilt for the fridge...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:18 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
Follow up on the leveling...

I got the super legos, grabbed a spotter, rehitched the TV, and got Bambi up on the leveling blocks. It is still not 100% level (I didn't want to go too high up on the blocks) but it is MUCH better. Worked like a charm.

Thanks for the tip about the front to back leveling and the jack not being too high. Seems obvious if you think about it but often those are the things we think about AFTER, lol.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:46 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Sun Valley , Idaho
Quicksilver

Hi, we have a Quicksilver as well and I may be a little late for some of your
questions but here goes. First we bought some nice rugs tan in color to match
the flooring from Target. They really save the floor and I only use a wet cloth
to mop them. Second we have a Travesack from Camping World. Summer on
one side and winter on the other. Buy a nice foam pad and cut to form to bed. We also have a down comforter. This is a perfect combination and we sleep like babes. Third you might want to look into a solar panel. We boondock
all the time and the batteries are 100% most of the time. Buy a small lantern
from Wall Mart for about $10.00 or less. (Battery) Fourth the fridge noise bothered my husband as well and our dealer told us they removed the turn off
switch and did not state that in the manual.....too many folks turning it off and
wondering why their fridge did not work. Fifth.. I bought some very nice hooks
from QVC that are chrome and suction for towels in the bathroom. Six...use
the little sprayer in bathroom, its great! Seven we always take extra jugs of
water with us and we take outside showers. You can buy a Pop-up cover
for privacy. We also use a solar shower if camped long enough to heat the
water. Eight you can pop out the face on the stereo and that helps with the
batteries. We also took the battery out of the smoke alarm as it would go off
for hardly any reason...and scared the pee out of me! Good Luck and Happy
Trails with your new Bambi. PS my daughters inlaws live in Morro Bay, Warm
Regards, Betty & John
Bettymsb is offline   Reply With Quote