Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Other Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Would you like try for staying in the same level?
Let's try to keep us altogether. 16 94.12%
Let us pick our own loop & rate level. 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #361
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Silverexpress
We are not big pot luck supporters so will likely opt out. I anticipate being very busy taking in all that Disney offers including extended hours and the thought of having to create a dish and do the cleanup just doesn't sound good to me. I am supportive of campfire socials or group dinners. Im sure there will be socializing no matter what and a potluck is probably not needed. I've been to Disney World several times, and visiting one of the parks is a high energy competitive pursuit with everyone equipped with their !phone apps, charting out the attack and taking in as much as possible at any given park including the evening fireworks. By the time you get back to your trailer you will be mush and your feet will feel like lead. It is a good idea to build in a down day where you just hang around Ft. Wilderness, hit the pool, and wander around close. You need some rest time. Anyway, Ft. Wilderness is not a pot luck friendly kind of place.
AIR #34494

Living the Airstream Life:
Silverexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #362
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
We are not big pot luck supporters so will likely opt out. I anticipate being very busy taking in all that Disney offers including extended hours and the thought of having to create a dish and do the cleanup just doesn't sound good to me. I am supportive of campfire socials or group dinners. Im sure there will be socializing no matter what and a potluck is probably not needed. I've been to Disney World several times, and visiting one of the parks is a high energy competitive pursuit with everyone equipped with their !phone apps, charting out the attack and taking in as much as possible at any given park including the evening fireworks. By the time you get back to your trailer you will be mush and your feet will feel like lead. It is a good idea to build in a down day where you just hang around Ft. Wilderness, hit the pool, and wander around close. You need some rest time. Anyway, Ft. Wilderness is not a pot luck friendly kind of place.
This particular event was meant as the meet and greet on the first day. Would it be better in your opinion to just have a pop in/out happy hour type of get together, leaving out food?

By the way, the breakfast potluck isn't meant to be an actual cooking meal since we will all have to depart by noon. It's meant to be "grab something easy" and show up. Donuts, pop tarts, honey buns.....bring a coffee pot...that kind of thing. Just a place to pop in and say goodbye.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #363
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
My opinions, NOTE: my OPINIONS are as follows. I was asked for input, so please no one crucify me for expressing my thoughts even if they are different than your own.

pavilion: Skip it. Disney is bending us over at $1000. I'm not really worried about any adjacent campers thinking that the TAC / Airstreamers are obnoxious. I don't think we'll all get at one campsite at one time anyway. Pot lucks are great, but when you've got to trek 1/2 a mile with a crock pot, it means many will "drive there" which is not allowed by Disney, so then no one will show up because no one wants to haul a hot crock pot full of food on a bike.

grand gatherings: I don't know what there are. I differ to Andrea on this topic. Given the costs associated already with gas, camping, admission tickets, I'm not looking to add much more.

character meals: maybe it's my inexperience of being at Disney, but I don't place a high value on character meals. I'd rather eat with my family and/or with other Airstreamers.

I've never been to FW, but from what I've read, my impression is that I might get located in the somewhat near vicinity of a few other airstreams that have reserved the same level of site that I have. Beyond that, it's going to be like other campgrounds...I'm going to ride my bike around until I find another Airstream and then stop in to say hello. With such a campground that cannot / will not intentionally locate us together, I see it as next to impossible or at least next to driving a person insane to try to get everyone together. I'd say hope for the best that those Airstreamers in the same "section" get placed relatively close together and for those in different sections, well, it will be up to the social desire of the Airstreamers to seek out others.

2nd rencent post about planning:

A progressive open house / appetizer sounds good, but it will require such intensive planning that it might implode. The way I understand FW, you would need to contact all people in a certain type of site (loop) and say: "from 5 until 6, your Airstream will be open (if you desire it so)" and then the next loop, "from 6 to 7...." and so on. A caveat to this though...it's been my experience, at my own rally as well as others, that if you do a roaming open house that as soon as someone is either a) full of food, b) full of drink or c) the kids are rambunctious; then it's done. By the end of the roaming you have 1/4 of the original people. So if you plan a roaming open house / appetizer thing over 4 hours...then at the end you have 5 people touring and host-people wondering why they spent so much time preparing hor-derves for 100. My suggestion considering the large-scale of the rally: designate a time period as "open house". Hand out signs (8.5x11 paper) for people to put in their front window if they are "open" during that time. Given the venue (go to Disney all day), I am guessing that there won't be many on-their-site or that aren't already pooped-out from the day that will want to have open house.

Arrival times: I expect it will be very staggered. It might be helpful to record from each Airstream when they plan to arrive (privately) and plan your "welcome" gathering at the most populated time. The "welcome" gathering should not ask / require anyone to bring anything as it is an event that is intended to make it more comfortable for those that have arrived off of a hard day or evening of driving. Those already on-site need to be coordinated/organized and provide the food. The more generic the better, i.e. hotdogs, burgers, chips. Speaking from experience, this worked awesome last April at the TAC-Wooster rally on Friday night.

Kids: Everyone with kids knows what to do / when to do what they need to with their kids. Often this means that an entire family must disappear at a certain time in the evening. Such is the case and should be recognized by the hosts and/or guests as a necessary evil. It is not rude, it is not disrespectful; it is just what needs to happen for that family.

Some people will be up at 5am, some 10am. Some will go to Disney everyday, some will not. Some will arrive on Monday, some will arrive on Friday. Some will leave on Saturday, some will leave on Sunday or Monday. With such a large group, it is impossible (and not expected) that the host will be able to coordinate 100% of the group 100% of the time.

Who's where? I suggest the host(s) make a map of FW with usernames of campers on it and occasionally post it to the thread. Then, everyone knows who's where and where they can find a TAC / Airsforums friendly Airstream. And when not, then where they can find someone to recruit to join!
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #364
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
I just want you guys to realize that this is my vacation as well and I plan to do Disney as much as I can... just like the rest of you. I am trying to keep the planning to a minimum but there are a few things have to be planned if we are to try to do anything as a group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
My opinions, NOTE: my OPINIONS are as follows. I was asked for input, so please no one crucify me for expressing my thoughts even if they are different than your own.

pavilion: Skip it. Disney is bending us over at $1000. I'm not really worried about any adjacent campers thinking that the TAC / Airstreamers are obnoxious. I don't think we'll all get at one campsite at one time anyway. Pot lucks are great, but when you've got to trek 1/2 a mile with a crock pot, it means many will "drive there" which is not allowed by Disney, so then no one will show up because no one wants to haul a hot crock pot full of food on a bike.
I wholeheartedly agree on the pavilion.

I did find a resource (a Disney Bus Driver) that said the rules are you can't eat on the bus... but nothing was said about carrying covered/contained food on the bus.

Someone mentioned the Golf Cart owning/renting people could volunteer to pick up food.... at least until they ran out of juice in the cart.

Quote:
grand gatherings: I don't know what there are. I differ to Andrea on this topic. Given the costs associated already with gas, camping, admission tickets, I'm not looking to add much more.
Grand Gatherings - (Payable with dining plan credits, credit card or cash)

Illuminations Dinner/Desert - Epcot (Dinner, Desert, Characters, and Front Row Reserved seating for the IllumiNation Firework Show

Safari Dinner Celebration - Animal Kingdom (Includes the Safari ride, AK Characters -Timon and Pumba, and a private group meal)

Good Morning Character Breakfast - (Breakfast at MK with Minnie, Mickey, Donald...etc.) I think this one came with early entry into MK so no standing waiting for rope drop...but then you miss out on the show.

These were events that those who wanted to could book as a group to go see. And those who didn't could do their own thing.

Andrea did your reservation so she would know what these are. But many, many of us signed up to do them. 71 people signed up for illuminations alone.

Quote:
character meals: maybe it's my inexperience of being at Disney, but I don't place a high value on character meals. I'd rather eat with my family and/or with other Airstreamers.
Character meals or meal could be used to replace the kids grand gathering experiences. Since the Grand Gathering cancellation we have decided to take our kids to one character meal (Chef Mickey's) instead as they were aware of what our plans had been. You can use your dining plan (should you get one) for this.

Quote:
I've never been to FW, but from what I've read, my impression is that I might get located in the somewhat near vicinity of a few other airstreams that have reserved the same level of site that I have. Beyond that, it's going to be like other campgrounds...I'm going to ride my bike around until I find another Airstream and then stop in to say hello. With such a campground that cannot / will not intentionally locate us together, I see it as next to impossible or at least next to driving a person insane to try to get everyone together. I'd say hope for the best that those Airstreamers in the same "section" get placed relatively close together and for those in different sections, well, it will be up to the social desire of the Airstreamers to seek out others.
The lack of proximity will be due to the group's choice to be able to pick their own type of site. Had we of chosen only one type loop they would likely have put most of us together.

The biking/golf cart driving around to see what's out there is called looping and is a popular sport at FW. The distances you are talking about are not small and going around the interior of the loops is around 1/4 mile in some of them as well..... We biked two afternoons with the kids and did not make it to every single loop.

Sanity... did I have any to begin with? After all I conceived this crazy notion to begin with.....

Quote:
2nd rencent post about planning:

A progressive open house / appetizer sounds good, but it will require such intensive planning that it might implode. The way I understand FW, you would need to contact all people in a certain type of site (loop) and say: "from 5 until 6, your Airstream will be open (if you desire it so)" and then the next loop, "from 6 to 7...." and so on. A caveat to this though...it's been my experience, at my own rally as well as others, that if you do a roaming open house that as soon as someone is either a) full of food, b) full of drink or c) the kids are rambunctious; then it's done. By the end of the roaming you have 1/4 of the original people. So if you plan a roaming open house / appetizer thing over 4 hours...then at the end you have 5 people touring and host-people wondering why they spent so much time preparing hor-derves for 100. My suggestion considering the large-scale of the rally: designate a time period as "open house". Hand out signs (8.5x11 paper) for people to put in their front window if they are "open" during that time. Given the venue (go to Disney all day), I am guessing that there won't be many on-their-site or that aren't already pooped-out from the day that will want to have open house.
I will admit the logistics on doing the rolling open house meal is daunting. The person that suggested it didn't realize I was discussing arrival day. I still like the idea but it would be more than difficult.

I'm not sure about the open house but planning it can wait a few months if it's not part of the arrival day festivities.

Quote:
Arrival times: I expect it will be very staggered. It might be helpful to record from each Airstream when they plan to arrive (privately) and plan your "welcome" gathering at the most populated time. The "welcome" gathering should not ask / require anyone to bring anything as it is an event that is intended to make it more comfortable for those that have arrived off of a hard day or evening of driving. Those already on-site need to be coordinated/organized and provide the food. The more generic the better, i.e. hotdogs, burgers, chips. Speaking from experience, this worked awesome last April at the TAC-Wooster rally on Friday night.
I am not agreeing or disagreeing with you on this. My question is where to have it? Should we hope to have two adjoining sites or should we rent one premium site ($70) for a night in order to accommodate our numbers. With a come and go as you please policy, which will work best for those of us with kids.

If we do decide to rent a campsite for the night of arrival to do this I need to book it now as it will require us adding on a campsite or two to the premium section (maxed out) which this early shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Some people will be up at 5am, some 10am. Some will go to Disney everyday, some will not. Some will arrive on Monday, some will arrive on Friday. Some will leave on Saturday, some will leave on Sunday or Monday. With such a large group, it is impossible (and not expected) that the host will be able to coordinate 100% of the group 100% of the time.
I am not trying to even plan a tenth of anything. I was planning on an official arrive (originally potluck) get together and a Sunday Goodbye "Bring Your favorite meal on the go" Breakfast and your coffee cup/pot. The rest is up to you.

Quote:
Who's where? I suggest the host(s) make a map of FW with usernames of campers on it and occasionally post it to the thread. Then, everyone knows who's where and where they can find a TAC / Airsforums friendly Airstream. And when not, then where they can find someone to recruit to join!
Great Idea but unless FW gives me a list of where people are. The people are going to have to provide the information to me upon arrival/after setup.

The only other thing I need to know is if those wishing to attend Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue and Spirit of Alohoa would like to try to do it as a group. If so Lauren can book us in together... if you'd rather do it as it fits your schedule then that's fine too.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-24-2011, 07:13 AM   #365
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
With the difficulties of coordinating such a large group, the option for a pavilion (sounds expensive - but probably the lowest cost option) still may be the best and easiest option. The cost could be paid for via a rally fee.

We could then plan a breakfast or a potluck (or both). Having it in the middle of the rally may prove to easiest for people to plan / attend.

We would like to join a larger group at the Hoop-dee-do review.

Just my thoughts,

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #366
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
I heartily endorse the Hoop De Do Review! It's my kind of potluck. You see, they bring out unlimited pots of food and grog and I eat and drink it! I don't even have to cook or clean up. This rally really presents unique challenges to the traditional rally model, which is pot luck and tour of homes type stuff. I really don't know why we get so locked into that routine. I say each airstream rally loop should plan a mixer or easy social get together that doesn't require fancy food prep or cleanup. Maybe finger foods at best. Pick a day after everyone generally arrives and do it then. I plan on bicycling the other loops to see what ya got and say howdy. On tour of homes. I have been to quite a few rallies that had this and you get tired of it after a while. My wife is at the point where she doesn't want tons of strangers roaming around in the trailer so we have backed off this ritual. Do you really want a 100 people visiting inside your trailer? What will you learn? I would not plan on anything on day one. For many the trip to Disney World is a long journey and then when you get there you have to check in, find your spot, and go thru your set up routine which can take a while. After that you just want a beer, some food, and a good chair to take it in. On additional fees, this is an expensive trip so please don't add any more expense.
AIR #34494

Old 09-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #367
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
I was just checking out the Hoop de Do area of Disney's website. After Silverexpress's mention above, I thought perhaps it could be adapted into a potluck for us. Those that have been there might be able to say better, but from what I see / read, it doesn't look like there would be much get-to-know-you time. It seems like a very planned, non-stop, loud event. As much as the eat-till-you-burst + free draft beer and wine :-)))))) setup is something I love, then un-social part of it and the price tag turn me off. I think WDW is just in general going to give me sticker shock. But it looks like for my family that the Hoop would cost us between $180-$200 bepending on caegory choice. Although, I think between Andrea and I we might be able to suck $20 worth of wine out of them!

Disney must have known I was on their site...they popped up an ad. for their Epcot international food & wine festival. Gotta go check that one out now.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #368
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
That food and wine festival is a must do!
AIR #34494

Old 09-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #369
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
That food and wine festival is a must do!
It looks as though if they keep the same schedule next year that we (the rally go'ers) will just miss it. Looks like it wraps up in early / mid Nov.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #370
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Hakuna Matata

Quote:
It looks as though if they keep the same schedule next year that we (the rally go'ers) will just miss it. Looks like it wraps up in early / mid Nov.
I think that the Food and Wine Festival will still be going on while we are there..but that's another discussion.

Anyway, JUST MY OPINION.

I think we should just relax, and probably give up the idea of Grand Gatherings, and even Pot Lucks. You have done an amazing job of putting this whole thing together and I am really excited about being in WDW at the same time as 50 other Airstreams will be there.

Rather than trying to coordinate an event, or events, for more than 100 people, how about if we just have some sort of identifier as being part of our group? Perhaps a sign for our sites or trailer and maybe a t shirt or hat.

Other groups have "meets". They announce a time and place to be somewhere in the parks, and whoever chooses to show up does. No extra cost, no commitment. It seems to work.

It's a HUGE campground and an even bigger place. If you're sporting your TAC attire you're open for conversation. Or you may choose to be incognito. Same with the signs.

Rather than the Illuminations Gathering just post where the "meet" would be. Really, no one can eat $32 worth of dessert. We did that gathering one time and believe me, I tried. At that time of year, during the week, we won't have a hard time getting a good view.

IMHO,

Disney Sue--and believe me, I know more about WDW than anyone should know!
Disneysue925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #371
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
All of the above (Disneysue) sounds like a great idea to me. Although the shirt thing has been tried...and revoked thanks to Disney's copyrights; there is likely something that could be make that includes only TAC and/or Airstream which could identify us. Although I'd shudder to wear the shirt more than 2 days for fear of smelling like I just crawled out of the sewer.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #372
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Another Suggestion...

If you want to do the Hoop de Doo (or any Disney Dining Experience) with a group, just post it as a "meet". then at exactly the day that reservations are accepted you need to call in and reserve your space.

If you have a princess, or prince, whose life will be ruined if they don't get to have breakfast with Cinderella at her castle you need to be on the phone at 0650 and have your finger ready to hit redial. And be prepared to pay for it at the time you make the reservation. More than a few adults have been brought to tears by the experience. You may be able to do it online--I will check that out and report back... If so, the magic window will open at 0001. But be warned that Disney now allows you to make reservations for anytime during your length of stay--which means that those arriving before you, but still there during your stay, have first dibs. Not pretty.

Sue
Old 09-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #373
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Shirts/hats/signs

Quote:
All of the above (Disneysue) sounds like a great idea to me. Although the shirt thing has been tried...and revoked thanks to Disney's copyrights; there is likely something that could be make that includes only TAC and/or Airstream which could identify us. Although I'd shudder to wear the shirt more than 2 days for fear of smelling like I just crawled out of the sewer.

How about something simple for the shirts/hats/signs? Maybe just "TAC"--not the thing with the trailer and road, but just the acronym, with "established ????".. (I'm a newbie, don't know the date) I'm not a big fan of "branded" attire but I would wear that. I bet Shawn could come up with something. No pressure, Shawn, no pressure. You could do it on Zazzle without worrying about Disney. If you get it for the Fort Wilderness event you would have the memory and know when/where you wore it. Others might also be interested and would maybe make a few $$$ for TAC.

Also, there are laundry facilities at Fort Wilderness. I seem to recall spending a pretty nice afternoon by one of the pools waiting for our laundry. But then, there were Margaritas involved.... Also, the weather in November is really pleasant--you may need a jacket early/late in the day. Much less sewer smell than at other times of the year.

Sue
Old 09-24-2011, 10:10 PM   #374
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Answered Backward... but answered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneysue925 View Post
How about something simple for the shirts/hats/signs? .
Sue
Quote:
I can talk to Lauren about Disney TAC shirts. She might be able to give us some advice or get approval. Or send us to someone who can. The person I originally dealt with was not our coordinator and didn't seem to be able to offer any help.

Quote:
If you want to do the Hoop de Doo (or any Disney Dining Experience) with a group, just post it as a "meet". then at exactly the day that reservations are accepted you need to call in and reserve your space.

If you have a princess, or prince, whose life will be ruined if they don't get to have breakfast with Cinderella at her castle you need to be on the phone at 0650 and have your finger ready to hit redial. And be prepared to pay for it at the time you make the reservation. More than a few adults have been brought to tears by the experience. You may be able to do it online--I will check that out and report back... If so, the magic window will open at 0001. But be warned that Disney now allows you to make reservations for anytime during your length of stay--which means that those arriving before you, but still there during your stay, have first dibs. Not pretty.

Sue
Lauren can get us into Hoop-Dee-Doo and the Spirit of Aloha Dinner as a group. Which would alleviate some of the stress. I have sent her an email asking her about the process but she can't help with the character meals.

Quote:
Rather than trying to coordinate an event, or events, for more than 100 people, how about if we just have some sort of identifier as being part of our group? Perhaps a sign for our sites or trailer and maybe a t shirt or hat.

Other groups have "meets". They announce a time and place to be somewhere in the parks, and whoever chooses to show up does. No extra cost, no commitment. It seems to work.

Rather than the Illuminations Gathering just post where the "meet" would be. Really, no one can eat $32 worth of dessert. We did that gathering one time and believe me, I tried. At that time of year, during the week, we won't have a hard time getting a good view.

IMHO,

Disney Sue--and believe me, I know more about WDW than anyone should know!
Funnily enough the Grand Gatherings would have been done exactly like the "meets" you are suggesting but that ship has sailed. I am glad to hear of someone who did the deserts and has an opinion on it as we wouldn't want to spend money on a mistake.

I am open to the "meets" idea but could use some help with how it would work. The issue with announcing a meeting place would be that you'd have to do one for each park each day. You may want to go to Epcot on the day Jason goes to MK or I go to DHS. We might have people who don't go into the parks at all (not likely but it happens) Are the meets to be at a food place? To ride a certain ride? .... or maybe to sit down and watch the parade? How have you seen this work?

Quote:
I was just checking out the Hoop de Do area of Disney's website. After Silverexpress's mention above, I thought perhaps it could be adapted into a potluck for us. Those that have been there might be able to say better, but from what I see / read, it doesn't look like there would be much get-to-know-you time. It seems like a very planned, non-stop, loud event. As much as the eat-till-you-burst + free draft beer and wine :-)))))) setup is something I love, then un-social part of it and the price tag turn me off. I think WDW is just in general going to give me sticker shock. But it looks like for my family that the Hoop would cost us between $180-$200 bepending on caegory choice. Although, I think between Andrea and I we might be able to suck $20 worth of wine out of them!
I don't know if you are or not getting the dining plan but if you are 2 table service credits will pay for this. Granted you still pay for it but it's a discounted rate. And the unlimited booze for the hoop-dee-doo revue cannot be ignored.

Quote:
This rally really presents unique challenges to the traditional rally model, which is pot luck and tour of homes type stuff. I really don't know why we get so locked into that routine. I say each airstream rally loop should plan a mixer or easy social get together that doesn't require fancy food prep or cleanup. Maybe finger foods at best. Pick a day after everyone generally arrives and do it then. I plan on bicycling the other loops to see what ya got and say howdy. On tour of homes. I have been to quite a few rallies that had this and you get tired of it after a while. My wife is at the point where she doesn't want tons of strangers roaming around in the trailer so we have backed off this ritual. Do you really want a 100 people visiting inside your trailer? What will you learn? I would not plan on anything on day one. For many the trip to Disney World is a long journey and then when you get there you have to check in, find your spot, and go thru your set up routine which can take a while. After that you just want a beer, some food, and a good chair to take it in. On additional fees, this is an expensive trip so please don't add any more expense.
It presents massive challenges. Truthfully I could careless about the potluck. That was conceived simply as a place to meet everyone. The tour of homes, well I just thought that was what Airstreamers did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkowalyk View Post
With the difficulties of coordinating such a large group, the option for a pavilion (sounds expensive - but probably the lowest cost option) still may be the best and easiest option. The cost could be paid for via a rally fee.

We could then plan a breakfast or a potluck (or both). Having it in the middle of the rally may prove to easiest for people to plan / attend.
I did the math on the pavilion. If EVERYONE showed up who is currently rsvp'd it's $10.00 a person. We have at least one or two people with 7 or 8 people attached to the reservation and no one wanted a rally fee.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #375
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
To Sum It Up

Just to sum up what has been the general consensus.

No Kitty fee
No Pavilion
No renting a extra campsite or having any kind of get together on the official start of the rally day. Shawn and I had thought that maybe delivery pizza would be the easiest to do... until we got online and caught up with the responses.
No Private Illuminations-like event
No to any official tour of homes
No to goodbye breakfast(donuts, honeybuns, poptarts, whatever)/coffee

Maybe doing Hoop-dee-doo and/or Sprit of Aloha as a group event
Maybe to some of us taking our kids to the same character meals at the same time (depending on age and character preference)

Yes to informal meets within the parks and the resort
Yes to just looping and looking for other A/S owners

Would you like me to talk to Lauren about shirts or should we just purchase some TAC ones?

I will find out from Lauren how the process works for doing a group booking for the dinner shows and let you know.

Is there anything you'd like to do at this rally that hasn't been mentioned?

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #376
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
I say each airstream rally loop should plan a mixer or easy social get together that doesn't require fancy food prep or cleanup. Maybe finger foods at best. Pick a day after everyone generally arrives and do it then.
This is great in theory:
1. We don't and won't know where everyone is until we arrive
2. How are you going to coordinate this -- are you going to walk around to everyone's trailer and ask what day they'd like to get together? It's hard enough trying to get 3 or 4 groups of people together when some people might be at the park on certain nights, and others might already have dinner reservations, etc (or at least they better if they're planning on sit-down service).

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but you pretty much have to make your dinner reservations minimum of 3 months in advance over the phone to get exactly what you want. How are we supposed to try and plan anything for this "rally" when people are also trying to plan their individual excursions, and no one wants to "commit" to anything until the last minute, or to make it completely informal. All of you are correct in the fact that this is a unique venue for a rally, but all we are trying to do here is to get at least one "group" rally event on the table so that people can schedule AROUND it if they want to attend.

I'm not trying to offend anyone (and hopefully I didn't), and informality is great -- there will be people who spend their entire time in the parks (i.e. Silverexpress) and there are those who might not go at all. There are people who will be eating dinner every evening in the parks (like us, for example) and there will be those who choose to eat in their trailers (that is what they're for, right)? If small groups of people want to go to the Magic Kingdom on Thursday because of extra magic hours, then so be it. If there's a few of us that want to go to a character breakfast so their kids have eat with Minnie, then so be it. But if we all want to get together and actually have a rally and at least meet everyone and put names to faces, then we have to put something on the calendar now or it will never happen, and that is what we are trying to figure out.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:11 AM   #377
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
If you have a princess, or prince, whose life will be ruined if they don't get to have breakfast with Cinderella at her castle you need to be on the phone at 0650 and have your finger ready to hit redial.
Hopefully there's no dinner with CARS or Jake & the Neverland Pirates or else my credit card is going to be so hot it's going to melt. Then again, what kids don't know won't hurt them (or my credit card).

Quote:
You could do it on Zazzle without worrying about Disney.
I'm not sure when you got into the mix for the event but Shawn has tried this twice now, the second time toning down the visual reference to Disney; and both times Zazzle refused to fill order due to Disney's copyright laws. If there's any reference to Disney on it, Zazzle won't print it. Unless Nicki works magic with the new coordinator, then your best bet would be to head over to the TAC store already at Zazzle and buy a shirt, hat, mug whatever in order to identify yourself as a TAC member. I've got so many TAC rally shirts in my closet that I can wear a reference to TAC already for every day of the rally already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
Lauren can get us into Hoop-Dee-Doo and the Spirit of Aloha Dinner as a group. Which would alleviate some of the stress. I have sent her an email asking her about the process but she can't help with the character meals.
This might be a good compromise. We get to at least sit close to each other, enjoy some food and entertainment, and can use our meal plan toward it. Might not be much socializing due to the show, but nonetheless it's something to look into.

Quote:
I am open to the "meets" idea but could use some help with how it would work. The issue with announcing a meeting place would be that you'd have to do one for each park each day. You may want to go to Epcot on the day Jason goes to MK or I go to DHS. We might have people who don't go into the parks at all (not likely but it happens) Are the meets to be at a food place? To ride a certain ride? .... or maybe to sit down and watch the parade? How have you seen this work?
Again an excellent point. If anyone has seen other groups successfully organize a meet or an informal gathering at Disney, please elaborate. Same for a gathering at FW (not a "Grand Gathering"). Anyone have first hand experience there? Anyone want to volunteer their time to search the web for a few weeks on these topics and report back?

Quote:
Truthfully I could careless about the potluck. That was conceived simply as a place to meet everyone. The tour of homes, well I just thought that was what Airstreamers did.
It is looking like FW is not going to be condusive to the usual rally setup. My suggestion is that everyone should sit outside their Airstream if they are there and "willing" to be social. Food and drink to share with visitors is optional, but always welcome. I like dry red wine in case anyone is taking notes . If someone has a particular airstream that someone else wants to see/tour, then it will be up to those people to find each other and personally request to see inside. I've never met an Airstreamer that wasn't willing to talk for a good while about their Airstream and give a tour to a desiring visitor.

Quote:

I did the math on the pavilion. If EVERYONE showed up who is currently rsvp'd it's $10.00 a person. We have at least one or two people with 7 or 8 people attached to the reservation and no one wanted a rally fee.
Is that for one day or would we have the pavilion for a week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
No renting a extra campsite or having any kind of get together on the official start of the rally day. Shawn and I had thought that maybe delivery pizza would be the easiest to do... until we got online and caught up with the responses.
Actually, I think this idea w/ pizza would be great. You might not get everyone, but you'll get some. Find out (as the time comes nearer) when the majority of people will be at Disney (versus on the road), set the date, and see who shows up. Those that want to be there will plan around it. Make costs known and set out a collection jar. You'd likely collect more than you spent.
Quote:

No to goodbye breakfast(donuts, honeybuns, poptarts, whatever)/coffee
This is a toughie, too. People like my family will be leaving likely Saturday after breakfast due to a 2 day drive to get home. I assume the majority will be making Sunday their last day there. So "goodbye" days will vary.

Quote:

Would you like me to talk to Lauren about shirts or should we just purchase some TAC ones?

I will find out from Lauren how the process works for doing a group booking for the dinner shows and let you know.
yes and thank you
Quote:

Is there anything you'd like to do at this rally that hasn't been mentioned?
Do you really want more to follow up on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius View Post
This is great in theory:
1. We don't and won't know where everyone is until we arrive
2. How are you going to coordinate this
I've cut Shawn's post back, but I'm responding to all of it. There are legit. concerns there. However, I think the very tool that we are using to express what we want is the very tool that can help us to organize ourselves when on-site: Airforums. Even with boondocking rallies anymore there's pictures and comments and communication popping up all the time during the rally. We will all have elec. hookup and pretty much everyone has a computer and/or smartphone with them. When anyone gets there, post to this thread, "I'm on site ____. We will depart FW on <insert date> in the <approx. time frame>" This way, everyone knows where you are and when you're leaving so that they know when they have to get by to visit. We live in and use this wonderful electronic world. Let's use it to our advantage during the rally to organize ourselves. Maybe we can even convince Shawn to keep a site/occupant map updated on the TAC website.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #378
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
So here is what I am going to do. The problem I have here is that I am getting less than 5% feedback.

I am going to reserve a campsite for a arrival day meet/greet. I will decide at a later date wether or not to add food, just make it a happy hour or even keep the site. For scheduling purposes this would be on Nov 4, 2010. This is the only official TAC meeting.

We can use airforums for communications. I should warn though that many of the attendees will be so tired after a long day at the parks that some wont' even open a computer and fort wilderness doesn't offer free wifi. It's not free or cheap. If you don't have a wifi or a smart phone you might be out of luck. Maybe we create a twitter feed for the week? Or emails?

I will still see about booking the group into hoop-dee-doo revue and spirit of aloha (for the 43 that were interested).

I will cancel plans for the goodbye breakfast as I believe Jason has a point about people leaving at different times and days.

The rest of the planning can be on the fly by anyone who thinks up something they'd like to do. We will put a board up for people to sign up/organize social events like the roaming happy hour should they choose.

Fair warning-
Doing the rally this way will free Shawn and I up for more Disney fun. Which may also mean that as hosts we will not be around the campsite much that week.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #379
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
There are at least two places everyone, that goes into the parks, should visit, the Airstreams in Walt Disney World Parks. Not the resort, in the parks and grab yourself a picture in from of them.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #380
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
You can't post that and not tell us where they are! Two Airstreams within Disney? I need to mark the GPS coordinates right now!

Tags
disney, fort wilderness, rally