Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 12:17 AM   #341
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
I'm not familiar with the layout, but if it's a problem, could we do a progressive-dinner kind of thing? Where maybe one group of trailers is responsible for the appetizers, the next for salads, the next for entrees, the next for dessert?

Certainly, not everybody would have to participate and, certainly, anybody who comes by my aging little coach, assuming we arrive in no more than a couple of pieces, would get fed regardless.

I'll have to roast red peppers & cook edamame before I leave ... will put that on the list right above "see about getting a hitch added to the truck."
Old 05-05-2004, 04:28 AM   #342
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
potluck

in reading postings, i see where the colorado vac rally is famous for their "chili dump"...maybe we as midwesterners should have our own style of debauchery....ie: stone soup, burgoo, brunswick stew...in the spirit of freeform informality..
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 05-05-2004, 05:19 AM   #343
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Progressive dinner...

Since there's going to be from 40 to 50 folks milling about, I kind of like Summerkid's progressive dinner idea. To someone flying over, I'm sure it would look like a swarm of bees going from hive to hive, but it would be a great way to mix, and be less of a logistics problem if we made five or six small groups of tables rather than a single spot of ten or fifteen. It would also give some organization to the 'potluck' so we don't have twenty-five salads and no main dishes or twenty-five desserts...

Roger
Old 05-05-2004, 06:20 AM   #344
Rivet Master

Chili Dump ??????

Hey Norbert
Martha Stewart would roll over in her jail cell. You'd be hard pressed to find a more unappetizing name for a food? I would call it Mexican Hobo Stew.

P.S. Is this the longest thread known to man .......or what?
Old 05-05-2004, 10:57 AM   #345
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
# 1: Do some of us now need to feel guilty about being part of the problem?
# 2: Longest thread in history? Just proves we can say more about less and have fun saying it--campfire may last til dawn!
# 3: progressive wagon circle dinner sounds like a good plan. That moves everyone around to see "babies" on display too. Maybe someone can designate areas by site numbers and assign the type of dish: those in the group can either contact each other and Plan (capital P) or let the offerings within the category be a Surprise .
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
Old 05-05-2004, 01:05 PM   #346
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Food?????????

I was planning on a chocolate milk diet throughout the weekend....

I'll have the Margarita Dump at my place. Not a chili fan anyway.

This sounds like a good plan, the bonfire will be interesting, maybe someone can bring a record player, and we can play musical chairs Meets musical campfires.

Looking forward to it!!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2004, 02:17 PM   #347

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Pot Luck Saturday Night

We have a nice gathering point where we all can bring our lawn chairs to sit and burn a campfire but our limitations are strictly with the number of picnic tables available. The campground has no additional tables so we are limited to moving the tables at our individual sites to the campfire location.

Last year our group of 14 units were actually more folks than what the tables we moved could support, when considering the food and seating space. We only got by because some folks thought cooking time was 6PM and others of us thought it was eating time. So some of us were eating while others were still cooking their entree.

We could still gather together at one location with the idea that the tables will be reserved for food only. Everyone would just need to bring their own seats and we eat off our laps. Not much difference than what would occur if we did a progressive dinner.

I'd rather try to keep the trailer tours and food separate, just out of courtesy for those opening their doors for tours.

If this is agreeable to the group, then my suggestion officially is to move enough tables late Saturday afternoon to the campfire area for the purpose of holding food only. Everyone would bring a dish although each unit would be responsible for their own entree. So escentially the pot luck would be side dishes or deserts only. Keep in mind that we aren't asking for you to feed the entire group with your contribution alone so bring enough to feed 6-8 folks.

Depending upon weather you could spread blankets on the grass, bring your own portable tables, or eat at your chairs.

Watcha think???? Now if you guys want to to a breakfast too, have at it. Maybe one of you can step forward on that note. I'm a late riser so you will see me after breakfast.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
Old 05-05-2004, 02:25 PM   #348

Fenton , Missouri
More input requested:

Another further thought since we are bringing movies, I'm considering doing the movies on Friday night leaving the campfire for Saturday. I know not everyone will be there Friday, but I'm afraid that trying to do the campfire and movie on Saturday (and remembering we've got the dinner to do also) might be difficult to pull off.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-05-2004, 02:47 PM   #349
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
June 2004 Midwest Rally is Set!

Greetings Jack!

The Potluck on Saturday with Movie Night on Friday sound great to me.

I had a thought about something that we really enjoyed at the last Wagon Wheel Rally that I attended in South Dakota, and something that seemed to go over well at last year's Midwest Forums Rally - - the idea being home made ice cream. I would be willing to prepare the custard and bring as many as three freezers (two antique reproduction hand cranked units and one modern electric unit). We could have three different flavors of ice cream - - or what we did for the Wagon Wheels Rally French Vanilla and Chocolate Dream ice creams, and fresh fruit sorbet (no milk or sugar) <a special recipe that I developed for my friends who are diabetic and/or don't tolerate milk products>. The only thing that I would ask is for volunteers to crank the hand-cranked freezers. This could be done as part of the potluck or as a social on one of the other evenings. The three freezers at the Wagon Wheel Rally served approximately 48 people with a fair amount left over.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Old 05-05-2004, 03:14 PM   #350

Fenton , Missouri
Maybe we can get those kids with lots of energy to help crank. Now if you can work up a tread mill contraption, we could also get our 4 legged travelers to pitch in. We will have lots of those in attendance also!

Thanks for your offer. As I remember correctly, because of the enlongated eating hours last year, your ice cream was pretty much at the end of its life for the late eaters. This year we will make sure that every one is clear about food time, assuming you all want to do this.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-05-2004, 03:33 PM   #351
3 Rivet Member

...We can hook the manual ice cream cranks up to the gears of Silvertwinkie's tongue jack and my kids can stand there and move the switch back and forth -- after all, his is under warranty...

...and they will probably do that anyway, up and down and up and down and up and ..., under Tracy's influence...
Old 05-05-2004, 03:36 PM   #352

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohne
...We can hook the manual ice cream cranks up to the gears of Silvertwinkie's tongue jack and my kids can stand there and move the switch back and forth -- after all, his is under warranty...
Hmmm....and so is yours and mine and a few others...

Hey Kevin! We got your ice cream crankers all figured out!

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-05-2004, 04:19 PM   #353
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Ice cream

I wonder, can 'Mudslide' be turned into an adult flavored icecream???? I have my mom n dad's old electric ice cream maker too....if you feel we might need a fourth....

I am really not understanding the movie thing.....how does that work, for that many people, and what is the significance of Animal House anyway????

Just curious....

I'm distracted tonight, decided to polish some more......arms....very....tired....
Old 05-05-2004, 04:39 PM   #354

Fenton , Missouri
Oh my...you haven't looked at last year's forum archives. Check out post #5 from this rally thread last year. It all started here.......

http://www.airforums.com/forum...=midwest+rally

From the movie standpoint, one of the attendees from the St. Louis area volunteered an LCD projector and a screen. I have a portable DVD player so we should be able to do ok.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-05-2004, 05:35 PM   #355
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
I'll have to rent it....

Never saw it. I'll have to rent it, so I'm not on the 'out'.

Actually, has anyone ever seen 'Sordid Lives - A black comedy about white trash' ???? That is truly a more fitting movie to watch, I've seen it at least twenty times.....Slow at first, but it picks up. The second time is even funnier. We have a white trash party every year, and pull the TV in the yard and watch it.....

OH, sorry, back to Animal House...Is that an Early 80's thing????
Old 05-05-2004, 05:59 PM   #356
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
"Mongo like candy"

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 05-05-2004, 06:00 PM   #357

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin can luv
Never saw it. I'll have to rent it, so I'm not on the 'out'.

OH, sorry, back to Animal House...Is that an Early 80's thing????
Here is a link for you to look at. It will give you a flavor.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0077975/

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-05-2004, 06:53 PM   #358
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Huh?

"Crude and Raunchy to the extreme"? Is that what we want at the rally....I don't know if I approve.....LOL
Old 05-05-2004, 07:03 PM   #359
2 Rivet Member

White Hall , Virginia
Re: Mackinaw Rally in July:

Is it open to all Forum members or just a "Local" thing?

Regards,

Bill
Thorobred Jack-Beagle
Old 05-05-2004, 07:40 PM   #360
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
schaumburg , confusion
Send a message via AIM to Tikihut
it is open to anyone
Closed Thread