Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2018, 09:12 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
Remounting Propane Regulator. Hose questions.

1992 25' Excella:

I need to replace my propane regulator. I want to mount it up high on the threaded rod that holds the tanks secure. I bought a Marshall bracket and regulator. All good so far with the mounting.

Now I need to get a longer hose to go from the regulator to the 90-degree copper connection under the trailer rail. The local guys say they can't make a hose with the original style fittings, so I need to get an adapter, then use a hose with 3/8 flare fittings at both ends. It will be about 31" long. I guess the new hose will have a smaller inside diameter than the original. Will this present any propane-flow-volume problems? Also, part of the hose sits under the frame rail exposed to little rocks that might fly up and hit it. Are the smaller hoses tough enough for this duty? (The original hose is really thick.) Any better way to approach this?
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:20 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'd check with somebody else and see if they can do a better job. What kind of fittings are on the original?

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
The hose should have the same ID as the copper trunk line it connects to whatever it is.

Another possible solution is to add a short length of copper pipe to the ell fitting, and use your original flex line.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:39 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
Tried 8 local shops so far. No luck for prefab hose. No luck for custom hose. Everyone seems to think it's an oddball configuration. Going online now to see what I can find.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Have you tried your local propane dealer? The ones who deliver propane to homes and businesses.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:03 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Have you tried your local propane dealer? The ones who deliver propane to homes and businesses.

No. Great idea. I'll dig into that tomorrow morning. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:27 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug C View Post
Tried 8 local shops so far. No luck for prefab hose. No luck for custom hose. Everyone seems to think it's an oddball configuration. Going online now to see what I can find.
Hi

A picture of the fitting might help us a bit ....

Bob
Old 08-30-2018, 11:13 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
I went through the same thing when I had to get the new POL valves put into my tanks... lost the gauge sender for the new valve. So we relocated the regulator up to where the older units had them... the metal (alu) tank holder/regulator mount was a regular part no... and you could get them from the ventage A/S web site...

I didnt get mine their though.. as I had other parts I needed .... I went to Andys' old INLAND RV in Corona, CA... their they had everything needed to take the excella back to the old way of mounting the regulator and bracket for the tanks... (I had to do my own engineering and mod for the cover to sit back on the tanks though)

They had the hose, pigtails and bracket.. ready to go when I got their... and everything was new.

https://inlandrv.com/product-category/lp-gas-system/

go down the page and see the LP regulator bracket (42.85) They also have the lo pressure supply hose (23.13) you can call them at 1-800-877-7311... as they are very helpful... and can come up with the proper parts you need because they know the airstreams from years of experiance.

They provided a great deal to change it back... as I was not going to get new propane tanks with the high price of gauges added... (about 600 bux) and because I had had other Airstreams.. knew how the old system was set up and worked... it was easy to convert back... and a lot less expensive than getting new alu 10 gal propane tanks, etc...

I am looking at the new sonic sensor that attaches at the bottom of the propane tank.. supposedly they work much more accurate than the old AS gauges... and instead of using your panel inside.. it comes across your cell phone apps...

The App even tells you what your rate of usage is.. and how much longer your tank will be effective at the gas usage.... They evenutally , according to the tech, will also have the battery condition, and your water tanks, and your heat/cooling also on the app so you can see from a distance what your rig is using/at and eventually you will be able to control it using it also... sweet...

again a new upgrade that even A/S hasn't gotten into yet...

So right now... I have to go look at the regulator to see if the tank is empty.. but as often as that happens... with the 10 gal ones.. (once one is empty you can demount it and take it to the service, get filled and bring it back hook it up.. while the other one is still on line and servicing the trailer) No big thing. ...and its more economical to go see the little red .. your out.. in that tank regulator marker... than to go with the more expensive upgraded tanks. After all alu tanks never rust or wear out... so I am told... and ll they do is a visual inspection.. and your good to go..
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:06 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
Update

Thank you for all the responses. I decided to go back to one of the local shops who had told me they could not build such a hose. I just wanted to make sure I was calling the fittings by the correct name so I could continue my search online. I got a different helper, and he says he can order the correct fittings for me. So that's where we are right now. Hopefully, the correct materials will be in next Tuesday or Wednesday, and everything will be good. The fitting that is most problematic is the one that connects to the copper elbow under the frame rail of the trailer. He called it a #10 flare fitting. The fitting at the regulator is standard, 3/8" MIP threads. I guess getting these two fittings to be used with 1/2" ID hose was the sticking point. I'll post when I'm actually done, and try to add a photo.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:43 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, the latest response sounds a lot more reasonable. Plumbing fittings from back in the 1920's are still a "can get" sort of thing. It just takes somebody who is willing to order them in.

Bob
Old 09-02-2018, 02:00 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
Careful, when I purchased my trailer I found a water fitting on my propane line that some past owner thought was the correct fitting. Be 100% sure it's right.
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote