Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2002, 03:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

WBCCI and local Units

I have owned a vintage A/S for a couple years and have enjoyed reading and hearing from other owners on this forum. This relationship has encouaged me to finally join WBCCI and my local unit. There are times when I have read how many in WBCCI were discouraged about getting and keeping new members. May I make a suggestion? Start by having WBCCI set some standards for the local units. As good as WBCCI is, it is the local units that put the face on the club. Let me give you a couple examples. First I contacted one of my closest units using their e-mail form and asked for information about them, what they do, and an application form. I received nothing back. Next, I located the website of another unit and discovered they are proudly displaying their club rally schedule from 1999. Why have a website if it makes you look bad? We have all heard that image is everything but in these cases it's not looking so good. I know there are good people in these units, and I have met some, but if WBCCI members really want to grow the club back to it's former numbers they will have to look and act like it. I still want to join, but I'm afraid of what I will find. I think that WBCCI should set some standards for the units and evaluate them on a annual basis. Lets reward and recognize them when they do well. I would much rather use a carrot than a stick. If I was a member of a unit that was recognized as one of the best of 2002, I know I would be proud and encouraged to make my unit better. Right now, at least, some units seem to act like they are old and tired. You can't attract new blood that way. What do you think?

Larry
Stougard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 09:04 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
WBCCI & locals

Larry,
You are right about what you said, While 99% of the people are great most of the people running the locals have been doing it for some time because no one wants take over so the same people get stuck doing it over & over again. And unless the younger people start stepping up to the plate I think many locals will be folding up in the near future. But I can see why younger families cant get more involved due to family, work, this, that. I think your evaluation idea is a good one. I am currently a member of a local unit but I think for 2003 I am going to switch to member-at-large (MAL) until I find a local that meets my needs, you could do the same, after all a MAL can still attend any rally etc.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:58 PM   #3

2005 34' Classic S/O
Huntsville , Alabama
John and Larry,
Get involved and make the units better. New ideas and new blood give new life. A couple of years ago a new "Merit Award" was put in place to give Units a guideline and incentive to build stronger and better units. Many of units have taken advantage of this program and are showing the growth and vibrance as a result. Check with WBCCI headquarters and find the units in your area that have earned the Merit Awards.
Colet
Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
What's a WBCCI badge?

So here's my experience today preparing to go to my first unit luncheon. About par on the course with my rally experiences so far.

I call the membership officer and tell her we have an eye to the weather as there is a snow storm advisory for today for getting to the luncheon, which is an 1 1/2 hr away and 5 hr for the luncheon/meeting then another 1 1/2 hr home in possibly the thick of it, so we may not be able to attend. She says it wont hit til afternoon I tell her we have to get back too.

In making inquiries on the luncheon before I mailed in my $40.00 for lunch so I could attend and be involved and vote, I was asked if I was sent my unit members book and badge and replied that I had not. I was told that then it would be brought to the luncheon for me.

Today I asked that should we miss the luncheon will my materials be sent to me. "No" was the response! "You have to be at a meeting to receive them. We have too many people not going to any of the meetings, so now you have to be there."

I hung up. I paid $70.00 for my membership (BY MAIL!!) but I will not receive my badge unless I pick it up in person!!!!.

What a racket.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
So here's my experience today preparing to go to my first unit luncheon. About par on the course with my rally experiences so far.

I call the membership officer and tell her we have an eye to the weather as there is a snow storm advisory for today for getting to the luncheon, which is an 1 1/2 hr away and 5 hr for the luncheon/meeting then another 1 1/2 hr home in possibly the thick of it, so we may not be able to attend. She says it wont hit til afternoon I tell her we have to get back too.

In making inquiries on the luncheon before I mailed in my $40.00 for lunch so I could attend and be involved and vote, I was asked if I was sent my unit members book and badge and replied that I had not. I was told that then it would be brought to the luncheon for me.

Today I asked that should we miss the luncheon will my materials be sent to me. "No" was the response! "You have to be at a meeting to receive them. We have too many people not going to any of the meetings, so now you have to be there."

I hung up. I paid $70.00 for my membership (BY MAIL!!) but I will not receive my badge unless I pick it up in person!!!!.

What a racket.
Wow, that must be a local thing. The New England Unit sends out a welcome letter, WBCCI Badges, our unit directory, a NEU decal, the latest copy of our newsletter and sign up sheets for upcoming events as soon as we get a new member application. We don't even wait for "headquarters" to complete the "offical" application and send out the new member's numbers.

And if a non WBCCI member Airstream owner happens to stop by one of our rallys and completes an application we provide them with their "welcome kit" on the spot, including WBCCI badges which I prepare. I carry a portable file box with all needed materials along with my laptop computer and printer so that I can personalize their welcome letter and print out the name inserts for the badges.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Its a good thing newbies dig up some of these old posts! It shows that old problems are also new problems.

For me, I'll put John and Larry's 2002 comments into the category of 'why we have region officers and reimburse some of their travel expense' - In my view, the headquarters operation should be developing measures for unit health and training regional and higher officers to use them to provide feedback and assistance.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Local unit, local rules. So I guess for you that means when the business meeting comes up in the spring where you have an important VOTE coming up you'll have to drive three hours round trip just to vote huh? Yeah, there's a real smooth way to run a club!

__
Like you said,local unit,local rules but it doesn't have to be this way.As a member,you have the option to get involved and change the way some things are done.Maybe a way to get around this is for the local unit to amend the bylaws to allow online voting for their unit.It can be done.Local unit,local rules.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 05:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Brand New rules for WBCCI Metro-Detroit Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
Wow, that must be a local thing. The New England Unit sends out a welcome letter, WBCCI Badges, our unit directory, a NEU decal, the latest copy of our newsletter and sign up sheets for upcoming events as soon as we get a new member application. We don't even wait for "headquarters" to complete the "offical" application and send out the new member's numbers.
It is a local thing. Metro-Detroit has mailed my directory to me in the past. Apparently they have implimented brand new rules for handling membership.

In an attempt to meet members and get them active they are withholding your members directory and badge until you attend a local function in person.

However, in my case, I find this entirely counter productive. I have less desire to meet with a group whose rule revision tactics are formulated to force attendance to receive your rightful materials.

Today I received this in e-mail as a follow-up from this morning's phone call from the membership chairman of the Metro-Detroit Unit;

"You will be receiving your badges and membership directory when you
attend your first dinner and or rally that is put on by the unit. This
is the policy of the unit not to mail them."

Mind you, this was in response to the fact that a snow storm is hitting and my husband and I were not able to attend as we had planned today. We could go to greater lengths and expense to meet with our club members but these same club members whom we were to go establish bonds with will not drop our membership package into the mail for us. And not entirely because of the postage costs, but because of a new rule to mandate participation.

photography
Old 02-04-2006, 05:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:

Your unit's approach is much different then the approach of my unit. Our motto is: "It's just camping" and our attendance at unit events has increased quite a bit since we adopted this way of looking at/running things.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 05:36 PM   #10
_

. , .
squeeeeeeekie wheel......

old people can be down right stubborn some times....especially when they are officers......of a club.

i'd call or email to ask if you can stop buy the officers home and pick up the goods......and share a cup o' tea....

if the policy was started after you paid the $$$ and wasn't stated in the membership application or materials....seems you have cause to request a refund.

could also send a note to h/q in jc....

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 05:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
It is a local thing. Metro-Detroit has mailed my directory to me in the past. Apparently they have implimented brand new rules for handling membership.

In an attempt to meet members and get them active they are withholding your members directory and badge until you attend a local function in person.

However, in my case, I find this entirely counter productive. I have less desire to meet with a group whose rule revision tactics are formulated to force attendance to receive your rightful materials.

Today I received this in e-mail as a follow-up from this morning's phone call from the membership chairman of the Metro-Detroit Unit;

Mind you, this was in response to the fact that a snow storm is hitting and my husband and I were not able to attend as we had planned today. We could go to greater lengths and expense to meet with our club members but these same club members whom we were to go establish bonds with will not drop our membership package into the mail for us. And not entirely because of the postage costs, but because of a new rule to mandate participation.

Wow.Although to some extent I can understand the reasoning behind such a policy(to increase attendance)I totally agree with you that it is a counter productive policy.Especially under your circumstances with a snow storm.I'm speechless and really disappointed .

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 05:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Some units shine!

The New England Unit is one that I have decided from all I have seen and read is definitely one of the stars of the WBCCI, and there are definitely other pockets of gold out there.

Aluminations, even the name of uniting all, is an exciting, well planned and friendly event. Your web site is fantastic, informative, and just plain cool.

The differences between the units that prosper and the ones that are hanging on, barely, is the philosophy. I totally agree. Some groups thrive on rules, the more the better. Have a problem? Make a new rule. Not working? That's okay they are the officers and "no can do" to accommodate you, because of course now, it's a "rule."

photography
Old 02-04-2006, 06:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
squeeeeeeekie wheel......

Quote:
old people can be down right stubborn some times....especially when they are officers......of a club.
I have been told those are the members that others refer to as the "red coats."

Quote:
i'd call or email to ask if you can stop buy the officers home and pick up the goods......and share a cup o' tea....
Take tea and talk---TNT (?) Sounds volitile to me.

Quote:
if the policy was started after you paid the $$$ and wasn't stated in the membership application or materials....seems you have cause to request a refund.
It was just implimented, last week the treasurer could not remember if she had indeed mailed it to me or not and asked me.

Quote:
could also send a note to h/q in jc....
I did think about that. It doesn't seem right. If membership dues are solicited by phone and paid by mail, why would you now all of a sudden have to be in attendance to get what you paid for? Albeit it's not much, but for $55.00 I get my directory and BB, and from the unit for $15.00 I get my newsletter .pdf and I should get a local members directory and badge. That is support in my book, and not to be sneared at. There is also principle involved.

On a more positive note, I received my Tin Can Tourists membership package and was surprised by even getting a lapel pin along with our cards and decal. Looking forward to my first TCT rally this spring.

photography
Old 02-04-2006, 08:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Carol's Unit isn't unique...

We too joined a Unit in Calif that won't mail badges.. Didn't slow us down at last year's Rose Parade Rally (though people kept asking where ours were..). We just politely introduced ourselves and all was well..

Could be a challenge for International in Salem, which may be our next WBCCI event, as their printed registration materials (paid and committed) indicate unit name badges are required... Unless we can find time and motive for one of two remaining fairgraound rallies, we may have to try the TNT approach...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:40 PM   #15
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I may be wrong, but any member that wants badge holders, or other WBCCI materials can buy them from Jackson Center. There is a table at the big rallies that sell it all, at least at FSR and International. Each unit has it's own policy on supplying badges to their members. I have been in units that require each member to purchase he badges, etc Other units supply the first one at no charge.

I too agree that this is a bad policy, making you show up to get the materials. It seems like an act of coercion to make you participate, even if you cannot or do not want to.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
wheel interested -- after reading your post I have to say I'm both shocked and angry to see a club that I pay dues to behaving this way, even if it's not the particular unit I belong to. I think this would be a good example to write up for the training manual on how NOT to manage a WBCCI unit.

To myboyburt and other NEUnit members and officers -- THANK YOU! for making our unit one that's so easy to belong to .

The more I think about it, the more it seems that he easiest and maybe the fastest way to change WBCCI would be to have more breakaway units start up. The newer units, less rigid and less concerned over rules, bylaws, and mandates, and more concerned with Wally's idea of fun and fellowship (like our N.E. unit), would move forward and grow with the younger (or young at heart and mind) while the older units would continue in their old ways until they just die off.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:41 AM   #17
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Some units do work

We signed up 9 new members at the Vintage Rally which ended yesterday. By nightfall, my wife who is 2nd VP of the unit and also the Mentoring Chairman had, by email from the Membership Chairman, the names, addresses, and email addresses of the new members. As I speak, she is selecting a mentor for each new member. We try to get a mentor who lives fairly close to the new member.

The Treasurer, I am sure, is just as busy getting membership materials out to the new folks. We were caught somewhat flat footed by the number of new membrs, so we will print additional unit directories for each of them.

We will telephone to remind folks of the first few rallies and luncheons after they join. We will also keep in touch with the additional two couples that indicated that they want to join us in the near future.

We have recently added two couples that belonged to other units and one lady was President of her former unit. They all rave about the night and day difference in our unit compared to their former units. The lady who was President said that she was up against a stone wall trying to get anything done in her former unit.

We have one younger member who set up an informal rally in mid-summer when the unit doesn't ordinarily schedule rallies because so many members travel. His rally has become an annual event and he continues it even though he currently doesn't own an Airstream and is not now a member. We list it on our rally schedule and 12 to 15 members attend each year.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:51 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Breaking in is hard to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
wheel interested -- after reading your post I have to say I'm both shocked and angry to see a club that I pay dues to behaving this way, even if it's not the particular unit I belong to. I think this would be a good example to write up for the training manual on how NOT to manage a WBCCI unit.

To myboyburt and other NEUnit members and officers -- THANK YOU! for making our unit one that's so easy to belong to .

The more I think about it, the more it seems that he easiest and maybe the fastest way to change WBCCI would be to have more breakaway units start up. The newer units, less rigid and less concerned over rules, bylaws, and mandates, and more concerned with Wally's idea of fun and fellowship (like our N.E. unit), would move forward and grow with the younger (or young at heart and mind) while the older units would continue in their old ways until they just die off.
I am trying to get to the fun part and make all these warm friendships. I'm trying to get involved, or at least work up incentive to get involved. They do make it hard...

photography
Old 02-06-2006, 12:02 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
Your unit's approach is much different then the approach of my unit. Our motto is: "It's just camping" and our attendance at unit events has increased quite a bit since we adopted this way of looking at/running things.
This is the way the group we camp with feels. So much so that we formed a new unit - The Heart of Texas Camping Unit. Most of us are working families that would prefer a more relaxed outing. We pick a time and place to camp and we show up and have fun. Pot luck breakfasts and suppers, which are optional, and the rest of the time is your time. No business meetings, no dues just getting together and camping for the fun of it.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:46 PM   #20
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
It takes our collective skills to make a great community and that is true for our organization. It is probably the strength of PAHASKA's group. In addition to pleasant personalities and genuine friendships, virtually everyone contributes in one way or another. Great rallys don't just happen, they take a lot of planning and work. At this weekend's rally PAHASKA's unit was publicized on the internet, in local newspapers and on TV. Over fifty units showed up. A number had to go to nearby campgrounds or come in for the day on Friday or Saturday. Probably fifty unexpected people came for various meals yet no one went without. Activities included live music, tours of vintage and modern Airstreams, a powerpoint history of the development of Airstream, door prizes, a swap meet, tours of new trailers, seminars, various opportunities for socialization, awards for unique restorations of vintage units, and a concerted effort to make EVERYONE feel welcome. All of that takes a lot of hard work and probably no one works harder than Kay and John; however the real strength of PAHASKA's unit is that everyone gets involved and they all share their respective skills to make each rally an enjoyable experience. I never heard a negative comment by anyone - member or non-member. I heard nothing but glowing compliments. I am confident that is one reason that we gained nine new members on one weekend and have the possiblity of gaining another two or three. They can sense the great times we have and they can see that as a group this group is not married to past memories of greatness but is rather commited to making a great future through hard work and a welcoming atmosphere.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote