Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2004, 03:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
WBCCI: Local, Regional, or At-Large

As a new A/S owner & 2yr. member of our previous R/V owners 'club', I'm a little perplexed at the different 'types' of WBCCI membership. Any info or opinions from some of you "older! " members, or former members, as to which to join (or NOT) would be appreciated.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 04:13 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Re: WBCCI: Local, Regional, or At-Large

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed & Debbie
As a new A/S owner & 2yr. member of our previous R/V owners 'club', I'm a little perplexed at the different 'types' of WBCCI membership. Any info or opinions from some of you "older! " members, or former members, as to which to join (or NOT) would be appreciated.
Joining a unit keeps $15 of your dues local to promote Airstreaming in your area. I am active in a unit, but I would join a local unit for that reason even though I might not be able to be active with that unit.

We consider the folks in our unit great friends. They will go out of their way to advise new owners. I have attended every rally since I joined and my wife has attended every rally since she retired. We co-hosted one rally and are on the books to co-host another this year. Co-hosting really rewards you far beyond the little bit of work it requires.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 05:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
We originally joined a Unit. Then after we moved 1,000 miles and sold our AS we went to Members-At-Large. As soon as we bought another AS product we joined a local Unit.

WBCCI is about participation, not about sitting at home reading a magazine about things other people have done. For that reason, Unit membership is much more rewarding.

WBCCI prints a periodical titled Blue Beret. It's not a magazine per se. Its purpose is more about advertising for upcoming travel events. It has a few articles about maintenance and other tips, but that's not its focus.

WBCCI membership is a value if you get out and attend the rallies and/or caravans. Otherwise, you just get a periodical filled with ads for upcoming events you're not interested in.

It's all about the activities and people. Start by finding out what Units are near enough you can join. Check out their rally schedules and ask what types of things they do at their rallies. Let them know you are considering joining and would like to try a rally.

Some Units have lots of rallies; others have more luncheons and dinners. Some Units like "chat and chew" (or "gab and gobble" as I recently heard it described), and others have tours and activities planned for rally attendees.

For example, our Unit's rallies are two part days (arrival and departure days) and two full days. We try to schedule tours and organized activities on one of the full days, and leave the other full day for members to go places on their own. We always have breakfast and usually dinner together on each rally day.

Our rally schedule has traditionally been Thursday afternoon to Sunday morning. We are starting to have more rallies from Friday afternoon to Monday morning. This works better for career generation members, because our two full days are Saturday and Sunday.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:20 PM   #4
Contributing Member

Our unit has monthly luncheons at a local Luby's. Since our members are quite spread out, we often have an additional "gathering" about 30 miles south of our usual luncheon. We usually have 30 to 40 folks at the luncheons and most of us arrrive a half-hour early so that we can chew the fat with more folks than are close to us at the table. A lot of unit busines and planning goes on at the luncheons.

A first class unit is supposed to have some minimum number of rallies a year; I think the number may be 6. In addition, there is the region rally which is longer and has more scheduled activities. In this year's region 9 rally, there is to be a carnival midway and each unit is responsible to put on some part of the midway. Our unit is planning a cake walk.

Texas is big and we often drive 4 to 5 hours to the rallies. A lot of us go a day earlier to have more free time in the local area and the hosts go a day earler. We arrange in advance for sites close together and sites close to the meeting room. Upon arrival, if you arrive on the scheduled day, you are met by a host and directed to your parking spot. Special needs folks are accommodated with close-in parking and the sites are assigned to best handle the type and size of the units. We prorate the parking and meals according to the time attended, so that working folks aren't penalized for not attending the whole time.

Our unit is one that has a lot of planned activities and we often caravan to them from the RV park, especially for night events. There is also plenty of free time to do what you will. On the arrival evening, there is either a potluck or a very simple evening meal.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-25-2004, 06:25 PM   #5
Contributing Member

By the way

You can see our unit website here I'm the webmaster. Click on "Rally Schedule" to see our 2004 rallies. BTW, as a WBCCI member, you will be more than welcome to attend any of our rallies.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-25-2004, 08:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Thanks for the info. and link. From there I've found the Texas and Intl. sites. I've contacted the N. Texas unit (I live in their area) and been invited to the Valentine's Day rally near Ft/W. While perusing these sites and links I found the A/S community in Hillsboro. It may have some potential for that retirement home-site we are looking for.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 08:24 PM   #7
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed & Debbie
While perusing these sites and links I found the A/S community in Hillsboro. It may have some potential for that retirement home-site we are looking for.
I will be teaching in the Region 9 computer classes at Hillsboro the first week of March. I have never stopped there, but many of our unit stop there the first night out so that they don't have to go through Austin during the morning rush hour.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-26-2004, 06:47 AM   #8
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Ask not what

Edie is right on target!
WBCCI is about partcipation. It is only what you make of it. Remember, WBCCI is non profit therefore it is comprised of many volunteers. It is a great club with many facets.

If you are interested in camping with other die hard Airstreamers, join the WBCCI, whether it is as a local unit member or at large. I agree with John, a local unit is the recommended path to follow. You have all the same attributes of a member at large and you can be as involved as you wish in a local unit.

Ask not what the WBCCI can do for you but, what can you do for the WBCCI.

Come one Come all.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote