Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2006, 12:51 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Wbcci Unit Mentoring Program

What about the strongest units helping weaker units get up to speed? Or maybe extend region from Texas to New England?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:55 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
You've answered my questions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephens
I Great rallys don't just happen, they take a lot of planning and work. At this weekend's rally PAHASKA's unit was publicized on the internet, in local newspapers and on TV. Over fifty units showed up. A number had to go to nearby campgrounds or come in for the day on Friday or Saturday. Probably fifty unexpected people came for various meals yet no one went without. Activities included live music, tours of vintage and modern Airstreams, a powerpoint history of the development of Airstream, door prizes, a swap meet, tours of new trailers, seminars, various opportunities for socialization, awards for unique restorations of vintage units, and a concerted effort to make EVERYONE feel welcome
With the exception of the rally being publicized on TV. How did you guys get this done?

BTW, I wish I was there, sounds like it was a blast!

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:00 PM   #23
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
As stated in an earlier post, we are fortunate enough to have officers with vision and members willing to help them get things done. Something like this requires a lot of good people doing a lot of things right and we managed to do that.
We also got it done by deciding that we wanted a fun rally and that we wanted to reach not only the members of our Texas Highland Lakes Unit and members of other Texas WBCCI units, but that we wanted to make the rally really attractive to those who might for various reasons traditionally not attend functions such as this rally. In fact our officers PRIMARILY seemed to design this rally so that it would be fun and informative for non members and those whose trailers are not yet ready for the campsite. We tried to make everyone feel welcome and have something for everyone to do. We even attempted to identify all FORUM members at registration and identified them by campsite and name tag so that fellow forum members would have the opportunity to meet each other. Several times during meals, FORUM members were asked to raise their hands to further identify themselves and better facilitate getting to know each other.
I feel our efforts were appreciated by those in attendance. We received numerous compliments concerning what a great time people were having. Just in case we did something right, we invited the leadership of WBCCI so they could see what works. We had the immediate past WBCCI International President and the current International 3rd Vice President in attendance as well as every officer of the Texas/Oklahoma Region (Region 9). In fact, both of the International officers and a number of the Regional officers are members of our Texas Highland Lakes Unit. Hopefully, we are bringing back fun into the equation from without and within. We’re trying.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:14 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Gahanna , Ohio
A new WBCCI member's review.

My wife and I joined WBCCI in July of 2005. Our first outing with the local unit was at an August picnic. The people we met were friendly but not inviting. Almost 50% of the older folks that did say something to us said they no longer owned campers. The only people that took the time to sit and talk was another young (late forties) couple who informed us they would not be coming back.

We decided first impressions were not always right so we decided to attend the October installation rally. The rally was at a private campground that put the trailers so close to each other that our awning just missed the unit next door. The sites were grass but quickly turned to mud as it rained all weekend. We did not see anyone visit trailer to trailer. Ok we thought. It’s the rain! The rain is keeping everyone inside.

The installation rally gave us our first solid hint of a problem. It was formal, regimented, and tired. It was not fun or exciting. Everyone seemed to be on auto pilot. They went through the motions of a meeting but there was no life. It just seemed dead. We were stunned when we received the 2006 rally schedule and learned it was completely based on a retired person’s availability. The schedule was not friendly to working families with kids in school. We were effectively shut out of the camping season. This left picnics and winter events.

We received our second hard hint of a problem when the unit’s November dinner was announced. A local retirement center offered a free dinner to the entire unit as part of a recruiting program for new residents! It took days before my wife stopped laughing about this. Needless to say we skipped the November outing.

Attending the Christmas dinner was our next big adventure. Since I grew up in the sixties and watched a few episodes of leave it to beaver I have an idea of how things used to be. The dinner was like entering a time capsule. The friendships shared by the members were genuine and solid. They sang together, told poems, and played music. There was an obvious bond between them that many younger people would long to be a part of, but it was a bond based on a generation we do not belong to.

We did not fit in. The only couple that decided to sit at our table was the hospitality team and it was obvious they would rather be setting with their friends. They did not intentionally make us feel separate from them but there was a wall between us. The wall was become solid when they told our 15 year old daughter she was not a member of the unit. They did not intend to hurt her feelings because everyone knew kids were not members. It should be noted that the first president of our region later sent us a personal letter with the official WBCCI membership rules attached. It seems you need to own an Airstream to be a member and since most kids don’t own airstreams they are not members.

Perhaps we were expecting too much to believe these people would understand the fragile nature of a child’s desire to be accepted. We wondered if WBCCI culture was family based, or biased toward retired persons. In the end we found it more trouble then it was worth..

We spent the month of January reviewing our experience. We came to the conclusion that there comes a time in a unit’s life when there is no turning back. The sad thing about this is that this unit is very much aware of the direction they are going. They are just too far along to change, and too tired to try.

We will keep our WBBCI membership for a while to see if things change, but we will not renew with the local unit. In the mean time we sent out feelers to Good Sam units, and FCRV chapters in our area. We joined one Good Sam unit last weekend to see what they are like and had a great time.

Sorry for the length of this posting but I wanted to share the experience of a new WBCCI member that does not live in the region 9 area. Almost makes Texas seem attractive!

Terry
WBCCI #1941
BowlingAlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:04 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlingAlone

We did not fit in. The only couple that decided to sit at our table was the hospitality team and it was obvious they would rather be setting with their friends. They did not intentionally make us feel separate from them but there was a wall between us. The wall was become solid when they told our 15 year old daughter she was not a member of the unit. They did not intend to hurt her feelings because everyone knew kids were not members. It should be noted that the first president of our region later sent us a personal letter with the official WBCCI membership rules attached. It seems you need to own an Airstream to be a member and since most kids don’t own airstreams they are not members.

Terry
Insult onto Injury

Terry,

As I started reading your experiences and disappointments I thought to myself that you encountered such as many of us have had, but when I got to the part about your daughter I knew that this was far worse, it wasn't a matter of disappointment, it was an emotional assault, however insensitive to that fact the person was when they said it. As I read on about the president's letter, I thought, oh, good, an apology to you and your family was sent. Then I read they hit you with the rule book! That is the best example of the worst experience that I have heard. And I for one am sorry.

photography
Old 02-07-2006, 06:39 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Terry, I was just thinking the same thing as wheel interested was. I'm also very sorry that this happened to you and your daughter. If it's true that according to the rules and regs only the owners of the Airstream unit are members in the WBCCI, then I guess only one of the two adults in our family is a member and the other adult and two kids are just...what? tag-a-longs? This is just another one of those things about WBCCI that needs to change. But (sigh) instead of finding ways to fix these things that could help them grow, they're worryin' about what name they're going to take to the grave!

After reading your post I can't imagine why you would want to stay in WBCCI, but I hope that you'll consider using your membership to attend some of the rallies of other more family-friendly units. At any rate, if you're ever in New England, feel free to drop in on one of our events. We'd love to have ya!
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:38 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Insult onto Injury

Terry,

As I started reading your experiences and disappointments I thought to myself that you encountered such as many of us have had, but when I got to the part about your daughter I knew that this was far worse, it wasn't a matter of disappointment, it was an emotional assault, however insensitive to that fact the person was when they said it. As I read on about the president's letter, I thought, oh, good, an apology to you and your family was sent. Then I read they hit you with the rule book! That is the best example of the worst experience that I have heard. And I for one am sorry.
Hi Guys,

When I took on the role of Membership Chairperson for the New England Unit I was told to badge *every* family member *and* to offer to customize the badges for the kids. By customize I mean special colors for the kid's names or to offer their parents names next to theirs.

Are kids members of the New England Unit? You bet! Are they members by WBCCI standards? I don't know but if they are not then shame on the people who are running the show as we need champions to continue our club in the future.

Old 02-07-2006, 08:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Terry;

It is ashame you had to experience what you did. - Many of us have gone through the same motions. We are lucky we did not have kids - because if we had that experience I just don't know what I would have done.

However I am afraid the only way you will see change - is to change it yourself. It will be our generation that will have to lead in the change. We really can not expect the generation before us to. We sort of hope they won't mess things up even further than has already been done.

For the generation (and not all are lumped in this deal!! cause there are some pretty cool open minded and progressive pre-baby boomers out there) but then for the rest - they have entered the mobile retirement home syndrome which we will never be able to change. Our efforts can be concentrated elswhere

When you get your directory list - find out who the members are that are your age group - take the initiative and give them a call - get together and do things - you don't need permission like many think you do. Just go have fun and camp. The more people you find the more you will do and then people will notice - the ones that have the fun will attract others who want to have fun - and that is how NEW spin off Units form -they made it easier for us - by stipulating only 10 members can form a Unit!!!

If we get enough 10 folds and then amalgamate over time - we will have evolved into a brand new WBCCI (without having to sing Old MacDonald had a farm......)
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:22 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Angry Unbelieveable!

I can't believe what I'm hearing! Children are not part of the WBCCI! Are we suppose to leave them home while we are out streamin'? "By the way kids, you have to be home alone again for the weekend because mommy and daddy will be gone with their AS". I suppose we are not anticipating our children to be the next generation of Airstream owners. Who will be carrying on the Wally Byam dream?

We can only talk about our New England Unit. Family is, and will always be part of the experience! Personally we are fairly new owners of an AS, and members of the NE unit. Our two daughters and the rest of the children in the unit (and there are quite a few)are part of one big family in the NE unit. Our little one will basically disappear at the get togethers, and will be eating lunch with her friends in one tt , see a movie in another tt or petting myboyburt's loveable cat (Buddy) in her trailer. Even our oldest, who is about to go away to law school, will sometime come with us when she is home. A group is only as good as the people who make up the group. Enough said!

Regards.
Titu

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:51 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Citizens Arrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
Hi Guys,

When I took on the role of Membership Chairperson for the New England Unit I was told to badge *every* family member *and* to offer to customize the badges for the kids. By customize I mean special colors for the kid's names or to offer their parents names next to theirs.

Are kids members of the New England Unit? You bet! Are they members by WBCCI standards? I don't know but if they are not then shame on the people who are running the show as we need champions to continue our club in the future.
Do tell, just how do you manage to keep the masses in line? Your unit seems successful, friendly, warm and well run, have you ever found it necessary to mail rule pages to your participants for infractions?

I myself would love to do an "attitude adjustment" on a member or two.

photography
Old 02-09-2006, 07:09 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Fruit for thought!

For those of you interested in starting your own WBCCI unit's, you need 15 members to start your own unit. Attend one of our New England Unit rallies to see how we manage it!

You can ALL make the difference! There are 10,000 forum members, and how many are members of WBCCI? Several units can be created by all the FORUM MEMBERS!

Answer: Start your own lively and fun units.

Gail

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:48 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Do tell, just how do you manage to keep the masses in line? Your unit seems successful, friendly, warm and well run, have you ever found it necessary to mail rule pages to your participants for infractions?

I myself would love to do an "attitude adjustment" on a member or two.
No, I have not needed to send out the "rules" to any member. Come to think of it I should send the rules to myself as I'm a big WBCCI rule breaker.

Old 02-09-2006, 07:55 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titu & Gail
For those of you interested in starting your own WBCCI unit's, you need 15 members to start your own unit. Attend one of our New England Unit rallies to see how we manage it!

You can ALL make the difference! There are 10,000 forum members, and how many are members of WBCCI? Several units can be created by all the FORUM MEMBERS!

Answer: Start your own lively and fun units.

Gail
Make that 10 Members not 15 - the amendment was approved at the Delegate meeting last year. And it appears in the new Directory - where the Constitution is published.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:01 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Ten members is correct. A group of twelve of us in Texas (Region 9) formed the "Heart of Texas Camping Unit". Children are most certainly welcome as most of us have kids, and while I can't speak for others, one of the major reasons for Airstreaming and being involved in a club like this is to expose them to something special. So far they, the kids, love it. They have formed their own bonds which I think makes it all worth it.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:34 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
somewhere , on the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
Our motto is: "It's just camping" and our attendance at unit events has increased quite a bit since we adopted this way of looking at/running things.
The "rules" thing is quite a turn-off for us younger airstreamers (how long do I get to say younger?). I think the "it's just camping" policy is perfect and that WBCCI should provide guidelines based on experience, but no rules.

My 2 cents.

Find & Share Great Campsites: Campendium
flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:58 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi,
At the rate the old timers are dying off, we may be a younger group sooner than later. Just look at the last issue of the blue beret. A very long list of "heavenly members".

Our Florida Springs unit is very welcoming and friendly. We have a mixture of older and younger people. We live further south than the rest, but this was the group we wanted to be a part of. The local group here keeps trying to get us to change, but we like our unit.

Find a unit you can be a part of, even if it's not local. That's what we did.

I wish we had more children in our group because I love having kids around.

Marie
Old 02-10-2006, 01:01 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Another hit for our local unit..

With sincere apologies to Terry, now I am getting even more furstrated with our local unit in land of high tech.. To recap: No E-mail, no web site, no badges til you join their rally, rallies at Fairgrounds from Thursday to Sunday morning with religious services and rules, etc etc... None of officers live in county where unit is headquartered (they ALL moved away when they retired..)! And now, Terry's letter reminded me they've been sent warning memo's from WBCCI HQ in past 2 years for holding rare RV Park rallies at "Adult Only" RV parks where children not permitted to be in attendance...

We may have to try for Nor-Cal "Unit" though it might be hard to find a dozen Forum members still willing to send $60 dues to WBCCI for privilege of receiving Blue Beret..

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:05 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
With sincere apologies to Terry, now I am getting even more furstrated with our local unit in land of high tech.. To recap: No E-mail, no web site, no badges til you join their rally, rallies at Fairgrounds from Thursday to Sunday morning with religious services and rules, etc etc... None of officers live in county where unit is headquartered (they ALL moved away when they retired..)! And now, Terry's letter reminded me they've been sent warning memo's from WBCCI HQ in past 2 years for holding rare RV Park rallies at "Adult Only" RV parks where children not permitted to be in attendance...

We may have to try for Nor-Cal "Unit" though it might be hard to find a dozen Forum members still willing to send $60 dues to WBCCI for privilege of receiving Blue Beret..

John McG
John,

Why don't you try the Northern California Unit, I hear that they are pretty good and they have a website, although the last time I looked it was not updated. They also have been holding a rally at the Sacramento Jazz Festival over Memorial Day.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:24 PM   #39
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
John,

I know you'd be more than welcome at any of our rallies or functions...anytime.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:55 PM   #40
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Stuffy installation? Not!

Our installation was held at a country club; folks did dress nicely and we had a very nice dinner.

Then the fun began. Our new President was thoroughly roasted and we all left laughing. The photo shows him at the end of the roast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trust.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	18344  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote