Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2008, 07:18 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner View Post
April,

I had the opportunity on Saturday to scan through the recorded feed. I think you did a great job. By referring to the candidates by first name only, you injected an element of informality and familiarity that is the cornerstone of the WDCU. People on vacation don't refer to each other as "Mr. So and So." I especially got a chuckle from your "under your breath" comment at the end of the process... yes it was recorded for all to hear, though it was clear that it was not your intention to have it be broadcast.
I would like to read the recording- where did you find that at?
Old 07-06-2008, 07:19 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
They'r at it again. In the Madison rally Advertiser that arrived from WBCCI page 3, I quote " The Rally will start on a Sunday night, run an entire week". Page 4 quote "parking hours are 8:00 am to 4:00pm Monday --Saturday, no Sunday parking".

Thats great starts Sunday but you better not come Sunday!!! Does anyone else see a problem with this.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:22 AM   #63
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
They'r at it again. In the Madison rally Advertiser that arrived from WBCCI page 3, I quote " The Rally will start on a Sunday night, run an entire week". Page 4 quote "parking hours are 8:00 am to 4:00pm Monday --Saturday, no Sunday parking".

Thats great starts Sunday but you better not come Sunday!!! Does anyone else see a problem with this.
I would hope that this oversight is changed before the rally begins.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:25 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23 View Post
I would hope that this oversight is changed before the rally begins.

Don't count on it!!!
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:28 AM   #65
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Don't count on it!!!
Funny,that would have been the same response to my post but this time I believe there may actually be a chance that it will.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:40 AM   #66
Certifiable

. , .
Dear Warrior Princess,

{I would like to read the recording- where did you find that at?}

You did a great job under the circumstances.

Delegate's meeting
Click on IBT
Click on Live Broadcast
Click on the 6-30-08 Meeting
Old 07-06-2008, 08:00 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
They'r at it again. In the Madison rally Advertiser that arrived from WBCCI page 3, I quote " The Rally will start on a Sunday night, run an entire week". Page 4 quote "parking hours are 8:00 am to 4:00pm Monday --Saturday, no Sunday parking". Thats great starts Sunday but you better not come Sunday!!! Does anyone else see a problem with this.
Hi Doug:

This parking disconnect has already been brought to the attention of the 2020 Committee on the wbcci.org. web site:

WBCCI Forum -

I'm hopeful the limited weekend parking hours will be expanded at Madison to welcome all attendees, especially those who still work. Please also post your comments on the wbcci.org web site in support of this rational adjustment. Thanks!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:38 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1977 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
Fred,

Your post on the WBCCI 2020 forum was very well written.

It points out the issue and suggests constructive alternatives without getting emotional about it.

Now lets hope that the people in charge react in the same way....

(I, for one, am not holding my breath...)
Old 07-06-2008, 10:11 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:

Doug,

I thought that seemed VERY strange myself. We are even told that we can work thru Friday and then have Sat and Sun for travel. We are also told in bold letters that it is going to be FUN.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:20 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3streams View Post
I would like to read the recording- where did you find that at?
Here is a link to the archived audio for the 2008 delegates meeting at the WBCCI site

And here is a link to the page that all the 2008 archived audio is posted.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:44 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

delegate process

A few comments on delegates and the delegate meeting.

The process WBCCI uses [techniques proven over time] has been in place probably since the first delegate meeting. It is based on Robert's Rules and is a known and standard process.

The voting and delegate process is outlined in the Blue Book (available online on the WBCCI website)

Information is sent to all Units months prior to the I'rally so that Units have time to elect a delegate AND an alternate , vote on issues, determine how the Unit will vote, discuss concerns, etc.

It is the Unit's responsibility to elect a delegate and an alternate and to get the needed credentials taken care of prior to the I'rally and delegate meeting.

It is the Unit's responsibility to use whatever voting system the Unit chooses to get input from their members in a timely manner so that the elected delegates can vote the will of the Unit at the delegate meeting.

It is the Unit members who choose which method of voting the delegate will use to vote the voice of the Unit at the delegate meeting. It is also the Unit that determines if their delegates should nominate someone from the floor and who that should be and for what position.

It is the Unit members who are responsible for electing a delegate and an alternate that they feel can best represent the Unit's interests.

It is up to the Unit to ensure that the elected delegates have the proper credentials, understand the voting process as used by WBCCI, know the Unit's position on issues and know how the Unit wants to vote at the delegate meeting. It is the Unit that gives their elected representative the choice to either use their discretion on issues brought up from the floor at the delegate meeting or stick to exactly how the Unit voted.

It is up the the delegate and the alternate to make sure they have the credentials they need, that they understand the directives and vote of the Unit, that they understand the process of the delegate meeting and that they inform the Unit in a timely manner if they cannot meet their obligations.

When the delegate and alternate register at the I'rally they are given specific information needed for the delegate meeting. It is the responsibility of the delegate and the alternate to review this material, contact their Unit leadership if they have questions or concerns, and ask the officials at the delegate meeting if they need clarification on process or procedures.

All that said, doesn't mean the process doesn't have some problems and may need some changes. It does mean though, that individuals and Units should ensure that they are informed about the current process so that they can utilize the opportunities provided by the delegate meeting to effectively represent and speak for their Unit.
Sierra Nevada Unit #157
https://sierranevadaairstreams.org
SierraBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
That's a bunch of bs. To me it looks like 1)the delegate is on active duty.
2)A couple was contacted at last minute to be alternates, and did their best with the very inadequate support given (every one needing to get faxes at Staples and their machine is out of paper? come on. There's certainly avenues for the powers to have support machinery ie fax machines, at the convention.)
The alternate couple had a very important appointment to make in Sacremento, probably scheduled a year in advance.
3) Another couple stepped up to do the job after the last minute, after couple two went to the doctor appointment.

And you give them sh.. for volunteering, and you didn't step up and give them the support they needed to get the credentials and training they needed? Where were you when this was happening? Very bad sport to write such a post AFTER the fact.
BRAVO to April and Tim and Kimber
And I salute the delegate that was on active duty! Thank you sir!
Like I said before, I might join just for the entertainment value.
Doesn't sound like any type of vacation camping I want to do.
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Perry,

Diane wasn't giving anybody any grief. She was expressing the procedures that should be understood by the delegate, unit and officers with respect to voting. But Diane, like everybody else NOT involved with this situation, does not have all of the facts. There is more to the story that I have not discussed and quite frankly, did not need discussing. Suffice it to say that despite the series of issues we ALL had to navigate through, we got it done and got our unit a voice. It wasn't perfect but far better than having no votes recorded at all.

And as for having both a delegate and alternate at the meeting who are fully informed - sometimes that is just not possible for all units. But again, despite being less than prepared, we got it done. That IS the important part, the rest is perhaps as you say - BS.

As for the procedures - I kind of laugh at whipping out the Blue Book and Rober's Rules of order when it is those very documents that de facto get suspended in the name of filing a grievance against Bob Tompson for expressing an opinion that is against the grain. One so bold that Jim Franklin suggests that members not happy with the club or it's officers should just leave - it's the 2nd time he has publicly suggested that.

Also, the Blue Book and Roberts Rules are guidelines for the operation - less than rules because they are open to interpretation. And as we all know, interpretation can be used as a tool for manipulation.

Perry - if you are ever looking to join a unit, WDCU would love to have you.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #74
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I don't know the fact because I was not there, but something smells fishy to me and the more excuses I hear the more it smells. I hope people stop pointing fingers soon and I also hope people stop making excuses for their actions. WE need to move on, it is over and nothing can be done to change the fact that we were not taken seriously. WE did not go into this seriously and therefore we were not taken seriously. Let 's all just move on and focus on the next rally.

Perry, WE want you in the WDCU. YOU are welcome to join us anytime for any reason.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:41 PM   #75

1966 22' Safari
Front Royal , Virginia
Hey all,

Just want everyone to know again fromthe VAC Rally two weeks ago we have a new airstream owner the guy beside us and today a couple that passed us we followed they pulled over and they too are owners, were at the rally without trailer getting a feel for what the group was all about and the wife(I forgot to ask her name ) says " My grandparents owned an AIrstream and I remember my grandmother talking about the family of friends they had with in the group.) Thought she said a whole lot.

See you down the road,

Mary Kim WAddell
MK-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Clarification...

Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner View Post
My first experience with this was last year when I listened to the simulcast of the meeting at Perry, GA. A woman (sorry I don't recall who it was) from my Wisconsin unit was to address the IBT regarding the State of Affairs of our unit. As some of you may know, we have a rather outspoken member of our unit (and past president of the VAC) Ed Emerick. I mention this because our representative. Ms. X was subject to an extended tongue lashing from Richard Heyde, region 5 pres (and member of the IBT) regarding comments and activities made over the years by Mr. Emerick. It was completely inappropriate for this to be addressed without Ed being present to defend himself and also very disrespectful to our spokesperson who had no involvement in the matter. It was as though Mr. Heyde was using the power and platform of the IBT meeting to fight his own personal battle with Ed by abusing this woman. It was very eye opening.
Close, but not entirely accurate...

1) "Ms. X" was me.
2) I am a member of the VAC and was VAC 1st VP last year in Perry.
3) The reason I was addressing the IBT was to deliver the VAC Annual Report - not representing the Wisconsin Unit.
4) Ed Emerick was not able to attend the rally for family reasons, it is the responsibility of the 1st VP to take on the duties of the Prez in their absence. I had read and felt fine with the report Ed presented - but could not argue specific points with Mr. Heyde because they were not my words nor points.
5) Many thought Mr. Heyde was out of line and lent their support.
6) Mr. Heyde addressed me this year after my VAC Annual Report, it was not a repeat performance...some might have even interpreted as an apology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
But my main point is don't keep picking the Richard Heyde scab. Let it fully heal and let's move on to more current topics.
As Fred mentioned, this year was a 180-degree turn from last year. Many of the Region Officers, who are the club's near-future leaders came to the VAC tent to meet, greet & treat the VAC members to a hosted happy hour. I believe everybody in attendance had a terrific time and got to know each other better. That coupled with a meeting during another happy hour with the 2020 Focus Group headed by Bill Schrader leaves me with hope for better understanding amongst us all. It was apparent that the IBT folks that attended these combined events really were interested in what we, the (younger) more-distant-future leaders of the club had to say and what suggestions, comments and complaints we had to share.

I'm with Fred...let's focus on the positive. I really don't want to open this up for more discussion...but I just am getting caught up after getting home from Bozeman and wanted to clarify the situation mentioned and concur with Fred that it is behind us...at least for me. If anybody has a right to be angry or hold a grudge, it is me - and I don't.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #77
Rivet Master

Diane is correct in everything she says. It is the responsibility of a unit to make sure their delegates are prepared for “what awaits” them. Many presidents have never been through the process and can only hope the person before them told them about the process.

With that said, for many units it is not real clear how all this works. People during the meeting are looking to their left and right for someone that knows what is going on and what to do during the meeting and this is “if” nothing changes with “anything” that is being voting on during the meeting. On top of that, during some of the meetings wording may change in the amendment, someone may decide to run from the floor at the last minute, etc… At that point, it becomes a “What the h*ll is going on for most new delegates?” meeting. Most of the time at that point many delegates will fall “Lock Step” with the IBT because they look to them for “guidance” on “how” to vote. In the end, this is how the IBT has been able to get things voted on the way “they wanted voted on”.

What has happened the last couple of years, the internet has allow many of the delegates to become smarter on the games that are played and the tactics that are used by the IBT to make things go “their” way. Why do you think there were so many units instructed by their membership last year if a “single” word was change in the MOHO amendment all votes went to “NO”? Did you notice no one tried to change the wording in the amendment last year “unlike” the “Name Change” amendment the year before?

There is hope. Units and the membership are getting wiser to the game, fighting back and not falling “Lock Step” as in years past.

In the end, all the members in the WDCU should give a big “THANKS” to all those who stepped up to the plate for the WDCU and had our voice heard. I know next year we will not have the problem we had this year. The WDCU is lucky that we have members across the USA in 35-40 states. This allows us the ability to have someone cast our votes no matter where the International Rally may take place. Many units are not so fortunate. I remember some units not having a delegate at all last year in Perry, GA.

Let’s count our blessings and go camping.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:50 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Close, but not entirely accurate...
1) "Ms. X" was me.
2) I am a member of the VAC and was VAC 1st VP last year in Perry.
3) The reason I was addressing the IBT was to deliver the VAC Annual Report - not representing the Wisconsin Unit.
Shari,

You are absolutely right... it all came back to me when I listened to this year's audio.

I guess I could say that I had the gist of the story right, I just changed the names to protect the innocent. LOL!

Thanks for straightening things out for me.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:12 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I agree - It's over and we have learned from this. My sights are set on Madison and another great year with the VAC and WDCU. I still think we should have a WDCU meet & greet.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:18 PM   #80
Rivet Master

Leo,

You are 100% correct in the IBT’s unwillingness to correct their wrongs!

Last year I brought to the attention of the IBT and C&BL Committee on April 2nd there was a problem with the MOHO amendment that was sent to the Units as written. Every single one of the “blew me off” as a “troublemaker”. Once again at the unit delegates meeting during the open discussion portion, I once again brought to their attention before 300+ people the “error” of their ways. During recess, I ask Max Carmichael with the C&BL about the mistake, he told me I was wrong, I said no Max, you are wrong.

At lunch, someone did go check and I was proved to be correct. I honestly believe, the only reason why at that time did they finally acknowledge the mistake was because I was able to sight “Article and Section” of the Constitution giving any of the 300+ members there the ability to read the mistake that had been made.

It seems, the only people they will listen to about how things should/could/would/are done are other members of the IBT or past IBT members. You, me and any other members are just troublemakers and according to one past IBT member should just find another club to join if we don’t like the way things are done!

I do think we have about 5 more years of the stuff before “real” change will happen. Lets just hope we all can last that long!