Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2008, 01:54 AM   #1

Portland , Oregon
HELP ME! Am I going to get EBAY scammed?

I have been searching for an Airstream for a while now and found one on ebay : 2002 Bambi 19 for $10900 as the Buy it now price. The guy had a non-ebay email address. So I emailed him. We have been talking back and forth for about 3 days. He is saying that is the price delivered to my door. This has to be a scam, right? He said to do the transaction through Ebay so we are both covered. Is that true?

Has anybody bought an airstream through Ebay from an individual? The deal seems pretty good obviously.

He even emailed me the serial code number. Can I check to see if that is real?

Anything anybody can tell me would help. I really want a Travel Trailer and am on a budget of about 12 grand. I dont want to be so eiger I end up being punked by some arsehole.

Thanks.
paddleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:17 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Sounds like a scam, I don't see any 2002 19' Bambi's listed on ebay. When you say let ebay handle the transition, do you me use the buy it now option on the sale or is the seller talking about some other ebay service? Free delivery is typical of many ebay scams as well. I would be very careful...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:38 AM   #3

Portland , Oregon
Yeah, he took the item offline. We have been emailing since. He gave me the ol' "Someone wanted it but hasnt called back". I am pretty skeptical. He said that I should register back on Ebay and then he will post it and then I can do a buy it now so the transaction can be covered through ebay. I guess that is why I thought he may be legit.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:45 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Sounds more legit then some, but I still have some doubts. It's too low a price plus the shipping thing just don't sound right.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
A SCAM! and a good way to lose all your money. Tell him you want to pick it up and pay for it when you inspect it and see what the response is.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:46 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Walk away now. This is coming from an ebay member of 12 years. If you are sending them money you are making a mistake. I buy stuff on ebay all the time, $100 here or there no big deal. If the user has a good history there is no huge risk and in fact I've never been scammed.

I look at trailers all the time on ebay (in fact, I'm still looking for a new trailer). I'd never ever ever consider buying one if the owner didn't agree to nothing but pay when picked up or if they don't allow a pre-inspection.

Always talk to seller on the phone, preferrably a home phone. Ask them for the name on the title too.

Also, if you're not ready/prepared for surprises - never buy a trailer sight-unseen. There isn't a seller around that will tell you everything that is wrong with the trailer. There have been some that have whined after picking up a trailer without pre-inspection after it does not meet their expectations and I say "tough luck". You probably bought it because you thought you got a great deal but the fact is you got it for a low-price because others who did their homework did not bid it up.

There typically aren't too many "Great deals" on ebay because too many people see every item out there. Also don't forget that a lot of ebay deals close outside of ebay, even though it's against ebay rules (trust a rulebreaker on that one). Ebay has changed their fee-structure now to account for this I believe. Just about every trailer for sale out there is also "for sale locally", that was the case when I bought mine.

So I'll get off my soapbox now.
Good luck.
JB
Old 07-03-2008, 05:54 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddleking View Post
The guy had a non-ebay email address.
That's the first clue that he has hijacked someone's eBay account. This sure smells like a scam despite his attempt to make it sound legitimate.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Scam.... But it's your money. Hard to pass up a great deal and buy a trailer below wholesale.
The ad was likly removed because one of us reported it to ebay. I scan the airstreams several times a day and report any listings that look to be scams. Less than there were but they still pop up. They even have great pictures of the inside sometimes, right from the Airstream site. Keeps me out of trouble, almost.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:06 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1977 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
Any time you see something like "My eBay e-mail doesn't work, so please e-mail me at xxxx@somepublicemail.com", you can be sure it's a scam of some sort.

Some people do this to try to avoid paying eBay the sales commission, which is "illegal" in eBay's book and can get the lister banned.

However, IMHO, most are just plain scams.

Any time you pay outside the eBay system, you have absolutely no recourse through eBay to try to recover your money should things go bad...

Dave
Old 07-03-2008, 07:07 AM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

It sure sounds like a scam, but there is a way to find out for sure. Tell the seller that you are coming to get the Airstream with cash in hand, but no money will change hands until you see the unit. I expect that he will have some really stupid reason that you can't do this. If this is the case, run away. Keep us posted.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:00 AM   #11
1977 24' Argosy Motorhome

1977 24' Argosy 24
Janesville , Wisconsin
I agree with moosetags

-Matt
schaapveld4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Sure sounds like a scam, has red lights all over it. I agree with Moosetags--not one penny until you actually have the thing in front of you.And have checked the title out thoroughly.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #13
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
What Moosetags said!!
I've purchased my 3 airstreams with cash.Walk up with a grocery bag full of cash, carry it around with you while you inspect the trailer. You may be able to save a few $$.

But I'm more interested in your name "paddleking".
canoe or kayak? do ya make them? Own Werner?
anyway there's a thread on the "off topic "forum- Kayaks and Airstreams. Needs more pics!!

and welcome to the forum!

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:06 AM   #14

Portland , Oregon
Thanks everybody for the advice!!!

Thanks for all the helpful, insightful responses.

I will definitely call his bluff and say I will come down and check it out first hand. Hell at worse I get a kick ass deal on an a Trailer and get an early jump on trying it out as I drive back.

I will keep all of you update with his response.

As far as the username goes.... Canoe all the way. I like to be able to carry my gear, dog and some beers. Dont own a Werner.. sorry mate.

But I did just take an amazing paddle down the John Day River in Oregon. You got to catch it while you can because it is un-dammed and drops fast. But it is the perfect canoe river.

Thanks again and hopefully I will be the owner of an Airstream and can ask more questions.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
100% SCAM - I guarantee it.

See this thread for clues on typical scammers tricks.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f348...ere-20119.html
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
why no criticism here....

With all the law enforcement folks on this site...how come no one came out with a comment on responding to an unknown EBAY type with a comment like...."I will show up with a bag of cash and we will deal." A young fella did just that here in Dallas last year. He was mugged, robbed and murderd by the EBAYer who told him to show up with cash and get a good deal.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:38 PM   #17
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
With all the law enforcement folks on this site...how come no one came out with a comment on responding to an unknown EBAY type with a comment like...."I will show up with a bag of cash and we will deal." A young fella did just that here in Dallas last year. He was mugged, robbed and murderd by the EBAYer who told him to show up with cash and get a good deal.
Wasn't he bidding on a funeral
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddleking View Post
Thanks for all the helpful, insightful responses.

I will definitely call his bluff and say I will come down and check it out first hand. Hell at worse I get a kick ass deal on an a Trailer and get an early jump on trying it out as I drive back.

I will keep all of you update with his response.

As far as the username goes.... Canoe all the way. I like to be able to carry my gear, dog and some beers. Dont own a Werner.. sorry mate.

But I did just take an amazing paddle down the John Day River in Oregon. You got to catch it while you can because it is un-dammed and drops fast. But it is the perfect canoe river.

Thanks again and hopefully I will be the owner of an Airstream and can ask more questions.
Hope you get the deal you are expecting. You have nothing to lose by attempting to see the rig. the proof will be in his response.

BTW, regular or C-2?
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:57 PM   #19
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Young Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Sorry this guy lost his life. When I carry a bag of cash around I'm always locked and loaded. and I'm not a law enforcement type of guy!

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote