Old 03-08-2006, 03:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Can someone help me out -- what are the question(s) on the ballot?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Can someone help me out -- what are the question(s) on the ballot?
The question on the ballot for the delegates to vote on will be whether or not to accept the name being presented, "Airstream Owners Association International Incorporated" per the recommendation of the IBT.

"Thus, Airstream Owners Association International, Incorporated will be the name presented to the membership for their vote."

Each Unit's Delegate will have a number of votes based on the number of members in their Unit. They will vote "yes", "no" or "abstain" based on how their Unit's members direct them to. Each Unit has written in their Bylaws how the Delegate's vote is to be directed and how the Delegate is to be selected. If there is a question as to how your Unit arrives at their Delegate's directive, look to your Unit's Constitution & Bylaws for clarification or ask your President or any Executive Board Member, they should be listed (along with the Constitution & Bylaws) in your Annual Directory or on your Unit's website: DenCO Website - Bylaws, Article 6 Delegates.

If this new name is not accepted, the task of selecting a different new name will go back to the name selection committee to be voted on by the Delegates at a later date. Based on the Delegates vote in June 2005, the name will change, the only vote now is "to what".

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:24 PM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
Jack -- So, do you think if Yuki and other unit Prez's and their membership got a grassroots effort going to show the flaws in the decision-making process, using the name-change decision as an example, this could possibly hold off the name change vote and decision until the process is corrected?

of a flawed process. (wish I had cow smilie for here )

-J
At this point you need to challenge the entire voting process. Not just for this particular item but for all things requiring membership vote. My gut feeling at this point is that there are two battles here. The most expedient issue is the vote of the membership as to the name change........the long term issue is the process of voting itself. Because the challenge of the process itself will take a great amount of time, I can't see the International suspending all issues while this gets hammered out.

The wheels don't turn fast in this organization and understand that at best case, you will not see anything regarding changing the process till probably summer of 2007 (assuming there is some units who bring this up).

The bottom line is you address the name issue with the here and now of the existing process. You work on changes in the process in the coming year.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:29 PM   #18
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
the complete version was mailed to all unit presidents...
so contact your unit president and ask for a copy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by insideout
...or ask your President or any Executive Board Member, they should be listed (along with the Constitution & Bylaws) in your Annual Directory.

Does no one else see the humor in these statements??

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:38 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
Does no one else see the humor in these statements??

No...

If your Unit does not have and/or distribute a) the Unit's Constitution & Bylaws, b) a Unit Directory, c) the Unit's Executive Board Member's names or d) a newsletter to all members, Jack's right, your Unit has bigger issues than a name change and should be working towards change or else reported to your Regional President or International for an audit.

My guess is that if you are a member of a Unit, you have access to all of these things whether or not every member choses to read them or not, is the member's responsiblity. How can you call yourself a member of "something", if you don't take enough time to read the information that defines what you are a member of???

Shari

Old 03-08-2006, 07:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
The first time I heard the whole name change debate at my local WBCCI rally, it was presented as...."Airstream" needs to be somewhere in the club name. I thought that was what the vote at International was about, simply adding Airstream somewhere in the WBCCI like, for example, Wally Byam Airstream Caravan Club.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:38 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberlanders
The first time I heard the whole name change debate at my local WBCCI rally, it was presented as...."Airstream" needs to be somewhere in the club name. I thought that was what the vote at International was about, simply adding Airstream somewhere in the WBCCI like, for example, Wally Byam Airstream Caravan Club.
It was from this 2005 delegate's point of view.

Shari

Old 03-08-2006, 07:48 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
I suggest no name change.

-Jim Phillips
JimmyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
Coca Cola.

-Jim Phillips
JimmyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
A Call To Action!

I gotta agree with most of what has already been stated in this thread. The information presented in the Blue Beret exposes this action for the folly it is. How the IBT could have unanimously approved a proposal that was based upon a flawed ASSUMPTION instead of the prior vote taken by the membership is beyond me.

We need to take this fight to the streets.

1. Ask you Unit President to take this vote via mailed ballots, so that all members have an opportunity to cast a vote. You Unit Bylaws probably allow for this option and this vote is TOO important to take any other way, certainly not via a "show of hands" at a unit function attended by a minority of the Unit members. Don't allow this decision to be made by those few that happen to be at the possibly poorly advertised rally or luncheon where the vote happens to be taken. I am sure most members will veto this proposal in a heartbeat - as long as they are made aware of it and are given the chance to vote. We cannot let this be handled like last year's vote where many members never knew a vote was taken and some units never voted at all!

2. Send a letter to your Unit or Region newsletter editor stating your opposition to this proposal so that other members can be made aware. Ask for others that disagree with the proposal to join this effort, especially to contact those without internet access.

3. Contact you Region President, who if I am not mistaken is a member of the IBT. Let him or her know what you think of this proposal. Be polite, but make your point.

And quite frankly, I am calling for all people that oppose AOAI to join this fight, whether or not you support the idea of adding Airstream to the name of the club. AOAI is certainly not the only way to do this - and it is obviously not the best way to do this. You do not need to support AOAI to have Airstream added to the club name. If WBCCI leadership wants to send a new proposal to us next year, so be it, but I wouldn't be upset is some unit or region did take up the charge to propose a motion to table the name change permanently.

I have one last thing to say and this proposal WILL BE very divisive to the club. If it passes, the current leadership may become known as the ones that hastened the demise of the club.

I don't want this to happen. I like WBCCI! I am proud of WBCCI! I have had fun at WBCCI events! I want to keep doing so in the future! I will do all that I can to keep this name change from happening. What are those famous words . . . ? Oh Yeah -
"Not on my Watch!".
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:23 PM   #25
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I am not a member of the WBCCI and I find this debate very interesting. The reason I have not joined come mostly from the local unit and have nothing to do with the name, but I do have a question. What does a $57 name badge look like?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:53 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Oh and I should add that while I like WBCCI and am proud of it, like many others here I see many ways (besides the voting process) where the existing club is dated and could use improvement. I can see many areas where improvements are necessary if the club wishes to attract and retain more younger, working folks like me. The point is that changing the name of the club is not the area in which WBCCI Leadership should be spending their attention and money, but it is perhaps the easiest way to make it look like effective change is taking place. (And I guess I beleive at least some of them probably beleive a name change is an effective change.) At best adding Airstream to the name of the club might help attract a few more new members, but as has been stated here before, without a number of internal changes, these new members won't be sticking around for a second year of memberhip. At worst, changing the name to something as radical as AOAI may drive a wedge into the club and hasten it's demise.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:56 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
The question on the ballot for the delegates to vote on will be whether or not to accept the name being presented, "Airstream Owners Association International Incorporated" per the recommendation of the IBT.

"Thus, Airstream Owners Association International, Incorporated will be the name presented to the membership for their vote."

If this new name is not accepted, the task of selecting a different new name will go back to the name selection committee to be voted on by the Delegates at a later date. Based on the Delegates vote in June 2005, the name will change, the only vote now is "to what".
Shari -- thanks for clarifying! I thought that the delegates voted "yes" to the name change last year but I became confused after reading all the forum debates on this topic.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Your welcome...glad that helped

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Shari -- thanks for clarifying! I thought that the delegates voted "yes" to the name change last year but I became confused after reading all the forum debates on this topic.
It's been broken into two parts:

1) Should the name change? (approved June 2005)
2) What to? (on the table - first name "AOAII" to be voted on June 2006)

This came about because there were several names suggested as "motions" last year and it was very chaotic to go through each one. This way "a" name is being presented for "a" yes or no vote. Then the appropriate action will move forward ~

Shari