Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1997 -2001 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2008, 09:01 PM   #1
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Confusion with the "Limited, Classic & Excella?

I have read through my entire airstream binder and im still not sure exactly what i have as I can find all the models in there. I know its a 2001 70th anniversary edition with a slide out.. but is it considered a Classic, or Limited or Excella or some combination of the names..

Signed

Confused

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Airstream Recycles - NAMES

Excella = Classic of most recent years. If I remember correctly "Excella" was used through the 90's, "Classic" took over around the millenium.

Classic Limited = a classic with extra tinsel. I think electric stabilizer jacks, special striping, burgundy awnings, maybe a few others.

Flying Cloud - old Airstream model.... but in 2009, the designation "Flying Cloud" replaced "Safari" - the lowest priced line.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Excella = Classic of most recent years. If I remember correctly "Excella" was used through the 90's, "Classic" took over around the millenium.
I don't think that is 100% correct, because we own a 2001, 25', Excella.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I don't think that is 100% correct, because we own a 2001, 25', Excella.
Excella was also used in the 70's. It was for a 31 foot only.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
My 1990 34' is an Excella. Also, I think the new Flying Cloud only replaces one style of Safari. I think they previously called it "Safari Special Edition". I believe the Safari lives on as a "Safari Sport" or "Sport". Someone with more knowledge of this can certainly respond.
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:28 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
My understanding of a Classic is that is a little bit heavier unit. My 98 is a Airstream Classic, Excella. It's GVW is 8,250. For several years A/S made Excella and Limited which as "Foiled Again" states they have just a little more tinsel than some other units. Their paint schemes were different in that Limited had the Brown/Bronze strip down the side and the Excella had the Blue stripe down the side. In the 70's the Excella came in 31' (my inlaws had a 75 model". That was when shag carpet was popular and funky colored upholsterly (yellow/gold) was used. It had a microwave built in also.

Bob
Member Four Corners Unit/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Now i see why im confused.. Im going to call Jackson center with my Vin number and ask them what i have.. I think its a Classic but the literature can be interpreted almost any way you want..

I will get back to you with what they say..

Thanks..

Old 12-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #8
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Ok.. just got off the phone with Rhonda at Jackson center. She laughed when i asked her the question as its a bit of a gray area. She said the 70th anniversary edition only meant that it has a few appointments different than other trailers similar in model. it cant be the Limited because there is no burgundy.. it cant be an excella because its considered a 30 foot.. so i guess i can call it a "Classic" although its not badged classic anywhere. I dont feel so bad now since i couldnt figure it out myself.

Thanks for the input..

Vinnie

Old 05-22-2009, 07:13 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Did you ever get the scoop on this difference, I have always been curious myself what the deltas are. I have an excella and I have seen limited units from the same model year. From what I can tell, they have the burgundy stripes and limited badging. Some also have electric stabilizer jacks rather than my hand crank BAL jacks. I also thought that I had seen the dinette mirrored over to the road side and the kitchen on the street side, where mine is dinette street etc...

Just curious.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
OK - I'll add to the confusion! I have a 2000 30' Excella and I've yet to spot any difference between it and the later model 30' "Classics!" Same layout, same appointments, same cabinetry, same brake system (---until the introduction of the disc brake system) - and, I think, the same exterior trim. It's my further thinking that the 30' Excella (---at least the 2000 model) was simply re-badged "Classic" in 2001. The 2000 also has the new aluminum finish that was started sometime in late 1999.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
i beleive when i bought my trailer in 2007 the dealer told me the new model is called the classic limited.the badge on my trailer has classic limited and also has a 75th anniv badge next to the door.before this recession hit the dealer was expecting airstream to keep adding more to the interiors so that they would be as luxurios as the interior of a yacht.im sure this plan is now on hold.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #12
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I was looking at my owners manual that came with the trailer. Right on the front it says Excella. So even when this unit was sold in 2001 as a Classic it was ok to send it out with an Excella owners manual. They told me that it got a little confusing at the beginning of 2000 as the factory guys would still call it one thing and the marketing guys would call it something else..

Go figure.

Vin

Old 05-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
The Excella became the Classic. The Limited was an upgraded Classic with Hickory cabnets, larger propane tanks, Burgandy Awnings,electric stablizers and a few other things. Problem was the Limited package was really expensive. Around 2006 the Classic became the Classic Limited. They did away with the Burgandy awnings, kept the Hickory cabinets and every thing else became an extra cost upgrade. So no more basic Classic they are all Limiteds now, Some just more Limited than others.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote