Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1997 -2001 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2009, 06:58 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
1999 Excella 28' Questions

Hi All...Just came upon a local add for a 1999 Excella 28'...they usually are 2000 miles away Have not gone to see yet but rec'd a number of pictures and it looks to be in good shape and sounds like a positive history.

Questions...

1) Appears to have a "open" toilet area? With no door or slide curtain? Is my photo observation correct? Anyone own this floorplan? What do you think?

2) No dinette...just a fold out table...how does that work for two for dinner?

3) Twin beds...other features of this floorplan good or bad?

4) Original owner...used "occassionally" and always stored in pole barn "by Sunday night". Appears "sticker" still on shower seat. What issues other than mice to look for...everything "works"

I appreciate any thoughts...I will probably go look at in the next couple of days.

Any price range thoughts if it is in good-very good condition????

Seems like a very nice 10 year old unit that is located close...what do you think about the floorplan?? Tom R in Two Harbors, MN
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Yes, the 28's have an "open" bathroom floorplan. There is a folding room divider at the front and rear of the bathroom. Some like it, some don't...personal thing.

The folding table is another one of those things....while it is folded, it gives more room in the living area. When it is up for dining, some sit at the couch, and others use a chair....again sort of a personal likes/dislikes sort of thing.

Beds, well again...do you like twin beds?

Think you see where this is going. Good luck with your decisions.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Thanks Steve...Twin beds are OK...maybe better than the "small" queens.

This 28' floorplan appears to have been around quite a few model years? With just the two fo us I guess the bathroom and dining arrangement would work OK.

I anticipate if we ever actually take the leap with a used AS we will likely either really like it and move to a new(er) unit once we determine our AS preferences...or sell it if we don't get "hooked". Perhaps condition, location and price may be the factor that pushes us to an initial purchase. Kind of hard to convert an interest to a higher level when you cannot visit unit w/o major trip.

This unit appears to be one of those little used and well kept units...with indoor storeage.

Do you have any feel of price range for a 10 year old good-very good condition 28'?

Thanks for the input...Tom R
Old 06-03-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
I don't think you will go wrong with a used Airstream if it is in good condition, and it is priced right. You really need to have one and use it for a while to find out your likes and dislikes, so I think it is the way to go, and what we have done. We've had several over the years, but took a long trip last year in a "Vintage" 23 foot, and that made us decide we wanted a newer model with full time beds.

We have friends that recently bought a '90's 28', can't remember the exact year, and If I remember correctly, they gave in the neighborhood of $18K. Hope this is of some help.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Thanks for the input Steve...I am thinking that $18-20K may be on the high side...and $15K may reflect the times we are in?????

I guess it comes down to "willing seller and willing buyer". Thanks...Tom R
Old 06-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
Thanks for the input Steve...I am thinking that $18-20K may be on the high side...and $15K may reflect the times we are in?????

I guess it comes down to "willing seller and willing buyer". Thanks...Tom R
Yes, and negotiating skill of each!