Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
waninae39 is in Canada, which has different laws governing propane. Kind of like in the US, part of it is federal and part is provincial, from my limited understanding.

Lynn
Yes. Canada is every 10. Just did mine this year.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:33 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
TITUS - I hope picture is sufficient. Coz even I would not want crawl near the tank & macerator area in my clean clothes
I agree that having a propane tank pic would be a good idea. And maybe a copy of the purchase receipt if the tank is a replacement.

I'll take that idea one step further - print a hard copy tank pic and stick it on your van's bulletin board so that you don't have to scroll through 14,000 cell phone pics to find it when the moment of truth comes. I assume your van HAS an organizer / bulletin board because I cannot comprehend how anyone could live without one.

I'll take it TWO steps further - IF you are going to trouble yourself to drag a memory stick to Walgreens to print hard copy pic of your tank, you might as well print anything else that might be useful to you later. I've linked examples here as follows:

(1) Towing example pics, in case you have to explain to anyone while standing on the shoulder of the road what exact equipment is needed to transport your van. T1N and NCV3 examples below. There's an important distinction because the smaller T1N can be transported with the shorter flatbed - it overhangs at the rear, but it's do-able. Due to the larger length and also weight, it's not clear to me that an NCV3 could be transported like that. They need the larger flatbed shown in the second pic.

(2) My favorite boondocking rebuttal pic, for when gatekeepers tell me "You are NOT supposed to park that thing here overnight". Generally I find that the Keepers of Certain Remote Public Facilities are highly amenable to logical arguments which speak directly to their personal priorities, the highest of which is environmental protection (that priority is the whole reason why they chose the jobs that they are in). The suggestion that tent camping has a lower environmental impact than off-grid vehicle camping is just plain false. I like to argue that our van has pretty much zero impact on any given facility that it might visit. No air emissions because we use solar rather than generator. No wastewater emissions because it's self-contained and emptied at off-site treatment facilities. No human waste emissions. No water consumption because we carry our own. No cooking waste or trash because we keep all that stuff inside. Nothing. If I show them the "poop" photo and remind them that most tent campers do not abide by such rules, they might capitulate and allow me to park, in deference to my conscientious presentation. It's worth a try, at least.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:58 AM   #23
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
that's what they'll be looking to confirm (that it's less than 10 years old):

Not relevant in the US, but I believe it IS relevant in Canada.

If they want a photo, I'd suggest it is to verify that the valve has a three-cornered handle indicating it is fitted with an OPD
Trip map at Spotwalla
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:23 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Saint Louis , Missouri
Monitoring Propane fill

Did my first propane fill. The propane reading on the monitor panel indicated 1/3 full. I took it to get filled and it only took 7.7 gal of propane and indicates full. I have ran the generator all night once before that on a 1/2 tank fill of propane as well as the furnace for two nights all while indicating only getting down to 1/3 tank.

1. Is the stock indicator panel "accurate" or do people have a general idea how much is left based on the lights? IE it says 1/3 until it gets down to 3 or 5 gals then indicates empty or when the empty light comes on its really empty?

2. Is it possible my tank isn't taking enough propane because of some reason?

3. Is there an aftermarket product that can monitor the propane more accurately, like tell me there is 5 gallons versus 20 gals etc?

If this isn't the correct thread please let me know if you have a better one to post. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I bought a roll of recert stickers and on the web there are plenty of user IDs to write in with a sharpie.

I don't condone doing it if your tanks are not in great shape, but mine are a good as the day they were installed, and I am not paying for new tanks or re-certificataion when without question I don't need either.

Total cost for recert label, $15. Already had mine refilled with the labels.

Just go on-line and search for LP re-certification labels.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieOscar View Post
Did my first propane fill. The propane reading on the monitor panel indicated 1/3 full. I took it to get filled and it only took 7.7 gal of propane and indicates full. I have ran the generator all night once before that on a 1/2 tank fill of propane as well as the furnace for two nights all while indicating only getting down to 1/3 tank.

1. Is the stock indicator panel "accurate" or do people have a general idea how much is left based on the lights? IE it says 1/3 until it gets down to 3 or 5 gals then indicates empty or when the empty light comes on its really empty?

2. Is it possible my tank isn't taking enough propane because of some reason?

3. Is there an aftermarket product that can monitor the propane more accurately, like tell me there is 5 gallons versus 20 gals etc?

If this isn't the correct thread please let me know if you have a better one to post. Thanks.
CHARLIEOSCAR - Real gauge is on tank. My Firefly seems to show better detail on level than the older handful-of-LEDs level indicators. It uses SeeLevel gauge for tank level display on Firefly G7 monitor. I don't know if goes down to 1% granularity, but know it does between 5-10%. I dont know any type fuel gauge that shows gallons or lbs. of fuel. They mostly % readings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190102_120020.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	330921   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190102_120049.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	493.2 KB
ID:	330922  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190102_120034.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	320.5 KB
ID:	330923  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:34 PM   #27
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
From what I can tell there are no rules about the condition of the tank other than the label being present and readable. Weird...
Not so weird. ASME tanks are built to much more stringent specifications than DOT cylinders, namely the ASME specifications for boilers and pressure vessels— they can resist a higher vapor pressure than the tank would ever experience in normal use, even if the pressure relief valve didn't work properly. The propane piping under the van is much more likely to leak than the tank itself.

And as someone already pointed out, if an ASME tank or DOT cylinder shows visible rust, fillers can decide not to fill them, no matter how old or new the tank/cylinder is.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:44 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Moncks Corner , South Carolina
Different question from OP concerning propane filling.
Had propane filled prior to going on a two weeks trip. No problem using stove during this time. Came back home , parked, and heard a hissing sound coming from area of propane fill. Called roadside assistance and was told to call fire department since propane is a gas. Fire department came and determined that when I got my propane filled, valve was not properly turned off. They shut it off. After they left, I thought about that and couldn’t quite understand how there was no issue the entire 2 weeks after the fill up. Could it be that the valve came open on its own by driving , and should it be checked before using again. 2016 Interstate grandtour.
Delores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:30 PM   #29
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Was there a significant temp change from fill date to hearing hissing sound?

I had similar happen went bad to propane supplier explained the relief valve kicked in and vented pressure as designed.

I am not a propane tech.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:52 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Temperature was nearing 95 when we returned. Maybe 85 at fill time
Old 06-02-2019, 10:30 PM   #31
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
The relief valve should never operate if temperatures are within "normal" range unless the tank was filled to 100% which can't happen if it is fitted with an OPD and the fill operator opened the fill level valve as they are required to do.
Also you used propane for cooking for 2 weeks so that would have created even more head space.
Trip map at Spotwalla
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:42 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delores View Post
.... Fire department came and determined that when I got my propane filled, valve was not properly turned off. They shut it off. ....
Suggestion for anyone in a similar situation:

Take pics. Take video if the other party will allow it.

What the fire dept. said here just doesn't make sense to me. If it were me, I'd want to know WHAT valve, exactly, and in WHAT position. I want a pic of it in before and after condition. Here's what the valve looks like in its offending condition, and here's what it looks like when the condition is rectified.

Because only then would I have sufficient basis for squaring [what I know about propane tanks] with [what I'm being told about that particular propane tank].

Edit: And I do know a couple of things about propane tanks. See these:

Leaking hose:
https://interstateblog.blogspot.com/...airstream.html

Replacing hoses:

Leaking propane tank:
Old 06-03-2019, 04:46 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
What is the level now. How much did you lose?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:40 AM   #34
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Also you used propane for cooking for 2 weeks so that would have created even more head space.

Good point, I wonder which tank was the offending tank the in use or standby tank?

Specified?
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:36 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
The only valve that could not be 'properly turned off' during filling is the bleed valve as this is the only valve that the is (manually) opened during filling. If the fill line did not properly seat after filling it is due to something wrong with the spring loaded ball/seat arrangement (debris in it?). I don't think there is anything that the fire department could/would do to try to fix the fill line in the event of a leak. And I don't think that the fill valve (ball/seat) would seat OK initially then start leaking two weeks later. So I would guess that the bleed valve was not tightened enough when they were done filling and then it vibrated itself open after two weeks of driving. You'll need to empty the propane tank if you want/need to replace the bleed valve.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:23 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
The only valve that could not be 'properly turned off' during filling is the bleed valve ... So I would guess that the bleed valve was not tightened enough when they were done filling and then it vibrated itself open after two weeks of driving. You'll need to empty the propane tank if you want/need to replace the bleed valve.
The OP has a 2018, so presumably this would be covered under warranty.

Logically that is what I am also thinking. But why did it open??

Is there any possibility of an interloper in this scenario? Maybe some children nearby who got curious and started fiddling with this or that on the van? And then bolted upon hearing a hissing noise?

Our bleed valve is not in a locked compartment. And if children see some physical object that they don't understand, their urge is to figure out what it does.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:39 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
I bought a roll of recert stickers and on the web there are plenty of user IDs to write in with a sharpie.

I don't condone doing it if your tanks are not in great shape, but mine are a good as the day they were installed, and I am not paying for new tanks or re-certificataion when without question I don't need either.

Total cost for recert label, $15. Already had mine refilled with the labels.

Just go on-line and search for LP re-certification labels.
Maybe I'm missing something? Labels are $15 on the web? I just had my tanks recertified, with labels and a receipt proving recert....for $12 each. Doesn't seem worth a work around to me.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:27 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Or the risk of getting caught, or missing a real problem. Better to be honest and use the proper process. Not a good example, either.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
For Costco members, some Costcos carry propane. Ask in the tire area or outside gasoline attendant if they have it and if so, where is it located. They fill mine and do a great job. I usually pull up to their big tank first thing in the morning and there's already a line of people with portable tanks. They love asking about my rig while I wait in line. I have not had to get pictures of the tank underneath. They seem to know what they are doing.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:02 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Suggestion for anyone in a similar situation:

Take pics. Take video if the other party will allow it.

What the fire dept. said here just doesn't make sense to me. If it were me, I'd want to know WHAT valve, exactly, and in WHAT position. I want a pic of it in before and after condition. Here's what the valve looks like in its offending condition, and here's what it looks like when the condition is rectified.

Because only then would I have sufficient basis for squaring [what I know about propane tanks] with [what I'm being told about that particular propane tank].

Edit: And I do know a couple of things about propane tanks. See these:

Leaking hose:

Replacing hoses:

Leaking propane tank:

Here is the picture of my propane compartment. It was the bleeder valve that was open or loose. Fireman turned it and hissing stopped. Going to have propane filled on today and will mention to fill personnel what happened.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2141.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	343008Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2142.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	343009