Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Atlanta , Georgia
Overhead Air Conditioning LOUD!

Had our 2013 Interstate for 2 years and finally took our first summer trip where it was hot enough for air conditioning. It appears to have only one speed - DEAFNING!

I will gladly play the part of dummy who didn't read the manual if someone can tell me this unit has a way to set other fan speeds than the one I dealt with this weekend. Compressor on or off makes no difference, the fan is like standing next to a cotton thresher. Pretty much impossible to watch a movie or speak to anyone in the vehicle with anything but a yell.

I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone else post about this. I love the Interstate but this made me really grumpy all weekend having to choose between comfort and being able to hear anything else but the air.

Brian
AtlantaCpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
No, you are not mistaken, and the new air conditioners are like having a jet engine in your trailer. We had a 2005 25FB for eight years. The air conditioner always worked great and you could actually hear the TV while it was running.

I don't know what happened to the good air conditioners that they used to use.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
The newer low profile AC's require a higher velocity blower speed in order to get the job done. Lower profile + more velocity = more noise.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Turn the movie up?

Mine is loud but there are 3 fan speeds settable on the thermostat.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Scratching the itch of curiosity, which is louder… the air conditioner or the generator?

But don't worry. Just turn on the subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing on your movie, and you'll be able to read what you can't hear…
Old 06-16-2014, 08:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
The thermostat has a fan setting: auto, high, medium and low. It does make a little difference to the noise, but its never quiet - we can hardly hear the TV.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I sleep with ear plugs if we have AC running while plugged into shore power. For short cool downs powering AC with generator -- it's like Protag said which is louder?
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:06 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
I've experienced the same thing on my 2014.5. Low is loud and medium and high are very loud. I turn the fan to on so at least it doesn't toggle on and off at night waking me up.

I do have a question for folks though. If I wanted to one day change out the AC for something quieter, what are my options?
migriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:42 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Springfield , Missouri
I have often wondered if it might be possible to make a change to lower the fan speed to a slower speed than the low setting. I figure that would probably cause other problems such as a frozen coil or not cooling the condensing coil adequately. Not sure.
Jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Overhead Air Conditioning LOUD!

Isn't it crazy.... With the increase in technology and all I was able to sit under my forty two year old Armstrong Air conditioner and have a normal conversation on my cell phone.... And I was cold...

But it was on low fan, and it is for sure by no means low profile outside..

Still, new is not always improved....

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Our AC is loud, too. Always has been, and we never cared.

It would seem that...... to have a multi-function, roof AC/heat/fan unit, that is efficient, in such a small space.....it is going to be loud when you are positioned under it.

When it is 90+ outside, with humidity at or equal that level, that AC is an absolute necessity. There is no comfort or sleep without it.

On a chilly morning, the heat option brings the inside temps up very nicely.

Having the AC unit is part of what allows you to travel in your Interstate.....where you want, and when you want.

You could probably custom order an Interstate without a rooftop Unit, but it would restrict your activities.

Maggie
Old 06-17-2014, 05:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Why do you think the new 2015 ducts are such a big deal, those AC units would drive me nuts they are so loud, and out East here during the summer, they run just about all day and night.

Ducted A/C Monster Deal for Airstreams, much quieter!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:24 AM   #13
BikerBill

Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
JFSchek, This is a discussion about the Mercedes Interstates, not trailers. I doubt that ducting is or will be available. There is not sufficient headroom to duct them. In my prior "bus" we had 3 roof airs ducted. And when i sold it last year it was 16 years old and the same roof airs were still working, and quietly I must say. I doubt anyone will ever see 16 years with the current roof airs. Recently we bought a new home fridge and a separate freezer. Quality units but the installer and the salesperson all agreed: todays refrigerant compressors are not designed to last. They're throw-aways. That's our society and world today.

And I recently read a post in a European blog that Europe is planning on banning the current "freon" 134A as it is now just as hazardous to our health as the original freon was. They are designing a new type, less harmful freon and you know it will not be retrofittable to current equipment!
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I guess that's why they have the option of listening to the television through the stereo speakers...
to be able to hear the TV while the air is on...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It's funny that I can hear the TV better sometimes further away from it. I guess when I'm closer to it I'm closer to the a/c unit, too.
I like to watch TV in the dinette booth.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
FWIW my new RT Adventurous CS is the same way. Consider using noise cancelling headphones... There are many cheap competitors to the BOSE models and all work pretty good. Many are small and light enough that you might consider using for sleep as well. You certainly should be able to wire up to your TV if that's your main concern.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Don't mind the noise, just wished it cooled better.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Our TV sound comes directly thru the stereo speakers, and always has. I thought this was the only way it worked.

If you are laying in bed watching TV, or sitting at either end of the benches, you are directly under a speaker. We have to turn the volume way down in these spots, even with the AC on.

Our AC runs so cold that, even on low, sleeping under the all-season down comforter is required.

Me, I would rather have too cold than not cold enough. Doug, not so much.

Maggie
Old 06-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Atlanta , Georgia
So I did not know I could adjust fan from the thermostat so thanks for that folks. Still loud for the enclosed space we are talking about but definitely better. I'd like another setting at about half the low speed if Airstream is listening.

Protag, on the generator I think there is little contest. Honestly that thing is so loud I'm not sure when I would ever use it. I've got only 9 hours on mine just from exercising it every few months. Personally I would just as soon not have it. Just one more thing to remember to change oil for and we'll nearly always camp where there is power.

Brian
AtlantaCpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #20
BikerBill

Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
Airstream does not make Dometic Air Conditioners. They only buy them from Dometic. Dometic is who you should be complaining to. What I do is when I expect to use the AC, I set the fan to run at MED/OW speed constantly therefore the sound becomes like background noise and I don't usually notice the compressor coming on and off.

Also I find it very interesting that people, not just AtlantaCpl obviously have not read their owners manuals. Maybe I'm anal, but the first thing I did after getting home from a quality, 2 hours long delivery from my dealer in NJ was to begin to sit down and look at the WHOLE manual. Even to the point of registering the warranties on the many items that are included in an Intestate. Then I even took time to go into the unit and review many things that were somewhat new to me. Forgive me if you or anyone else with relatively new Interstates are offended, but unless you bought it used and or there were no manuals inside, I'd understand it. Sure its real easy to ask questions on the internet, but it's also a pretty complex unit. Either that or everyone lives in an apartment and calls the landlord for every little squeak in their homes.

Again forgive me for ranting but i see this all so often. And don't feel bad if you are ones that I am referring to. In my prior Class A motorhomes (last 16 years+), people who spend $600K-$1.6Mil also have the same questions.

And yes, I still ask my grandsons to set the clock on my VCR.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote