Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2018, 07:47 AM   #421
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Worse is to have an accident because I am blinded by the sun

There were moments, that even with my sun glasses, it would had been great to block the sun from the side window...

I just need to get the window film installed... that might avoid having to remove the clips on the visors.
One possible alternative is to create your own side shade which attaches with neodymium magnets when needed (blog post; this works wonderfully in the T1N Interstate, but I don't know how much metallic door / window frame remains exposed in the NCV3 series). I designed mine with magnets along the bottom edge as well as the top, so if I need to lift the bottom up for greater side visibility, I can do that, analogous to rolling up a blind. When the sun goes below the horizon, I just snatch it off the door entirely and toss it onto my magnetic organizer board behind the driver's seat (blog post). No need to stop the rig to do this. It's also reversible so it can be used on the passenger door as well.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:54 AM   #422
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
One possible alternative is to create your own side shade which attaches with neodymium magnets when needed (blog post; this works wonderfully in the T1N Interstate, but I don't know how much metallic door / window frame remains exposed in the NCV3 series). I designed mine with magnets along the bottom edge as well as the top, so if I need to lift the bottom up for greater side visibility, I can do that, analogous to rolling up a blind. When the sun goes below the horizon, I just snatch it off the door entirely and toss it onto my magnetic organizer board behind the driver's seat (blog post). No need to stop the rig to do this. It's also reversible so it can be used on the passenger door as well.

What a great idea!!

The window shades that come with the 2018 AI rely on magnets to stay in place. So your idea should also work on mine. I should be able to use them to trace the pattern.

I will try to get the same fabric you used:

I like the idea of the metallic/reflective on the outside... will see if I can find that metallized fabric at the local place.

Magnets ordered from Amazon.

Thank you for sharing all these great ideas!!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #423

Orlando , Florida
I have many spare fuses, terminals, bolts. etc. because of not paying close attention and just getting the wrong ones. These are small, inexpensive items that would cost more to return than to just keep them in the toolbox or at home in the garage... recent finding of another spare I purchased incorrectly was the inline fuse for the inverter... I ordered ANL fuses

when I should have ordered Littelfuse fuses...

This is the fuse holder in there:

If I would have looked closer at the photo I took... I would have notice the fuse type written on the cover! duh!! Plus others in the forum pasted a photo of one as well... I just thought that the ones I got were a variation (meaning, easier install with those cut outs) of the same fuse...

So the correct spare fuse now ordered...

if anyone needs 150 amps ANL fuses, let me know, LOL!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverter Fuse holder.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	302196  
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-10-2018, 12:17 PM   #424
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
I have many spare fuses, terminals, bolts. etc. ...
if anyone needs 150 amps ANL fuses, let me know, LOL!!
You should see our garage. If we pooled all the spare parts from the DIYers on here, we might just be able to build a whole additional Interstate. LOL.

As for the fabric on my side window shade, that's to your own taste and rig decor. It makes little difference which fabric(s) are chosen. I used scraps from previous projects, as they matched our rig's color scheme.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:02 PM   #425

Orlando , Florida
These came in...

Heater exhaust mesh covers installed. I don't know... those holding springs do not inspire much confidence...

SumoSprings to be install over the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0973.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	302221   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0975.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	302222  

WBCCI #26769
Old 01-11-2018, 01:40 PM   #426

Orlando , Florida
Got some good news. Missing hardware, to be able to install the counter top extension, is arriving tomorrow. Fingers crossed that they included a matching laminated wood piece.

And to consolidate pending tasks/items list:
  1. Hitch step. Have not decided on which one to get...
  2. Intermediate Door Stop Kit for side sliding door. Ordered
  3. Build second board (that can fold away for storage) for additional sleeping space for my son (daughter already claimed the one made)
  4. 3M Clear (or Xpel) protection film for the front to protect headlights and windshield - I went ahead and ordered the Xpel for the headlights...
  5. Sound deadening material to wrap generator and bring down the noise it makes - have not used the generator, but best to do this now while everything is nice and clean...
  6. Windshield cover for when parked to reduce interior heat. Also looking at this thread for maybe doing something similar for the side glass/windows. Anything that will help lower the inside temperature of our Interstate in this hot Florida climate (I know, not as harsh as in Arizona and Texas, but still...) - Ordered
  7. 3M Crystalline film on windshield (clear) and side windows (legal tint) - to reduce heat inside while driving. - Appointment made
  8. Glacier Ice Corian flip shelf Part number 602233-07 - Tommy Bahama edition does not come with the extended counter piece due to the under counter lights mounted. Had to be custom ordered in matching counter top color. - Missing hardware should arrive tomorrow and I will install it over the weekend
  9. Some sort of security mechanism for the EMS...might be as simple as a padlock with a short steel wire.
  10. Prime Design - Rear Door Access Ladder - I ordered a retractable ladder that will just stay at home. This one is so much better as it does not take any space inside... after our first trip I am even more conscious about saving space inside the coach... attached photo is of an AI owner that just had her ladder installed. She shared a few photos and a video in the Airstream Interstate Facebook page.
  11. Install switch for LPG
  12. Add LED light at the back so it illuminates rear area when doors are open. Side LEDs are useless when the storage area is full...so must add another source of light.
  13. Paper towel holder
  14. Make side shade. Magnets to arrive tomorrow. Mara will help me with making these. Thank you InterBlog !
  15. Leveling system (yeah... still want one... all I can say is that I am one lazy sob )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ladder.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	302239  
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #427
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
That Prime Design rear door ladder is one of the best on the market. No drilling required.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:53 AM   #428

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
That Prime Design rear door ladder is one of the best on the market. No drilling required.
Yes. I only wished it would not interfere with the license plate... Susan was sharing that it physically interfered with mounting the ladder in that door. Reason why she had to put in on the ladder temporarily while she gets something built to relocate it.

I could not tell from her photos...so I will have to wait until it arrives and I do the install to see if it just requires a small modification or something more serious.

There is always the option of installing it on the other door... but that left door seems like the best place since it is close most of the time...

Oh, and the ladder does not interfere with opening the door all the way to the side. That is also a good thing about this one.

I have not order it... will do so maybe next month.

3M Crystalline window film schedule for install on Jan 27. Windshield is about 37" tall... and the film they have in stock is only 36" wide... They can order wider one to get that additional inch covered. I am just thinking of having them go with what they have since that would fall under the tinted strip in the windshield... I just do not want to delay the install more...
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-12-2018, 07:26 AM   #429
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Well, I know I've said this several times before, but the search tool tells me that I haven't said it on this particular thread, so here goes.

Personally I have an aversion to attached ladders. Even if they can be installed in such a way that doesn't imperil the sheet metal of the van, their use is somewhat limited by their location. A fixed ladder is not going to help me with solar panel maintenance (beyond a couple of feet), caulking tasks, roof cleaning, or kayak donning and doffing. It's also not going to help me scale any physical structure that might be at a travel location (I've gotten some cool pics from atop picnic cabanas, for instance). With a fixed ladder, the best you can do is go all the way up and then crawl across the roof to the other locations that you need to access. It's not the safest method.

We carry a Telesteps 1400E, which only consumes about two additional inches of the space behind our passenger seat. It's the best all-round solution I've found to date, giving better versatility to the access issue.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:33 AM   #430
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Quote:
... 3M Crystalline window film schedule for install on Jan 27. Windshield is about 37" tall... and the film they have in stock is only 36" wide... ..
Our installer solved the problem by putting a narrow band of much darker Crystalline at the very top of the windshield, creating an effective sun shield. Well above the line of vision so it doesn't interfere with driving.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:47 AM   #431

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Well, I know I've said this several times before, but the search tool tells me that I haven't said it on this particular thread, so here goes.

Personally I have an aversion to attached ladders. Even if they can be installed in such a way that doesn't imperil the sheet metal of the van, their use is somewhat limited by their location. A fixed ladder is not going to help me with solar panel maintenance (beyond a couple of feet), caulking tasks, roof cleaning, or kayak donning and doffing. It's also not going to help me scale any physical structure that might be at a travel location (I've gotten some cool pics from atop picnic cabanas, for instance). With a fixed ladder, the best you can do is go all the way up and then crawl across the roof to the other locations that you need to access. It's not the safest method.

We carry a Telesteps 1400E, which only consumes about two additional inches of the space behind our passenger seat. It's the best all-round solution I've found to date, giving better versatility to the access issue.

I did get one of those... an OxGord Aluminum Telescopic 12.5 Feet Heavy Duty Extendable Work, Light Weight Multi-Purpose Ladder... but afraid it will dent the side of the AI when using it...
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-12-2018, 07:48 AM   #432

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
Our installer solved the problem by putting a narrow band of much darker Crystalline at the very top of the windshield, creating an effective sun shield. Well above the line of vision so it doesn't interfere with driving.
Great idea. Will ask for the same. It will all be under the existing tinted strip already on the windshield so the seam should be covered by it when looking from the outside.
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #433
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
I did get one of those... an OxGord Aluminum Telescopic 12.5 Feet Heavy Duty Extendable Work, Light Weight Multi-Purpose Ladder... but afraid it will dent the side of the AI when using it...
Denting and scratching does not happen in my experience (which is extensive). I used segments of closed-cell pipe insulation, the kind with the slit down one side, to make removable sheaths which I then slip on those sections of the ladder which make direct contact with the van's sheet metal.

In the photo above, you can see them protruding out of the right side pocket of the Duluth Trading seat organizer that is hanging in front of the Telesteps. The closed cell foam is very dense and not very compressible, so this makes a really good cushion to distribute the force. Plus I keep them right there in that pocket so they will not get misplaced. They fit snugly on the ladder and don't fall off while in use.

An inelegant photo enlargement for those who are using small devices such as phones:

Old 01-12-2018, 09:06 AM   #434

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

InterBlog,

Thank you. Will give that a try. That avoids the additional expense on the exterior ladder.

Also, without having to carry the cornholes, maybe I can store it over the cooler or between the cooler and the back seat structure... I will check.

I am guessing that the local Lowes or HomeDepot should have those foams (closed-cell pipe insulation).
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #435

Orlando , Florida
Installation of the front SumoSprings was straight forward... no need to take the wheel off... no need to get under the AI at all...
  • Take all safety precautions. Place chocks in rear wheels.
  • Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right
  • Use a 13mm long socket to undo stock stop. If you are lucky the nut will stay with the socket, if it falls just stick your finger and slide it to the hole and it drops to the floor.
  • Lift AI via front lift support (in the Mercedes Owners Manual you will find the location of the lift points). Lift just enough for inserting the SumoSprings. In my case the wheel/tire was not even up in the air...
  • Insert SumoSpring.
  • I placed some teflon tape around the nut so that is was held in the socket. You can also use one of those magnets that you can insert in the socket to keep the nut in there as well... I was too lazy to use two sockets (short socket works best with these magnets to start the nut on the bolt)...
  • Tighten nut. I was able to do so until the whole thing started turning
  • Slowly lower back in place until the SumoSpring touches the A-arm and keeps it from turning. Finish tightening the nut.
  • Lower the AI
  • Turn steering wheel all the way to the left
  • Rinse and repeat for the other side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0982.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	302290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0983.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	302291  

Name:	IMG_0984.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	302292   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0986.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	302293  

Name:	IMG_0987.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	302294  
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-12-2018, 11:27 AM   #436

Orlando , Florida
Dash camera installed. I will see if I can get power directly from the rear view camera, if not I will route cable provided around windshield and connect elsewhere. For now the stock wire is just straight down and connected to the 12 volt outlet.

Mounted base to the plastic cover from the rear view mirror base. This way there is nothing on the windshield and the 3M film can be installed without issues.

Short video just testing (shared at 360 resolution just for test... but recordings are done at 720 and 1080:

https://youtu.be/kUv9mjJVHA8
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0988.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	302297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0992.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	302298  

Name:	IMG_0994.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	302299  
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-12-2018, 12:40 PM   #437

Orlando , Florida
Smile

Intermediate Door Stop Kit for side sliding door in place. This is to be able to open the door midway without closing on its own... this is a very small stop. Funny that they add a note letting you know that they did not forget to send it, lol... it is wrap around an ice cream stick, it is that small...

You fix it in place with some JB Weld.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0999.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	302301   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1001.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	302302  

WBCCI #26769
Old 01-12-2018, 01:09 PM   #438
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Dash camera installed. I will see if I can get power directly from the rear view camera, if not I will route cable provided around windshield and connect elsewhere. For now the stock wire is just straight down and connected to the 12 volt outlet....
Nice cam. Elegant design. We put one in ours, that interfaces video feed with the iPhone. Funniest vid to date was taken when our local Sprinter servicer did a test drive after servicing the transmission. I could tell that he was extra-enthused about the task, getting to drive a one-of-a-kind Sprinter like ours instead of yet another FEDEX van. LOL.

Consider running a water detection wire in your front pillar if it proves such that you have to go to the trouble of opening it up anyway. You should not have to worry about water leaks in that area for many years, BUT, it's not much extra money or time to run a wire in case it's ever needed in the future (blog post).

Also, if you think you might be doing other future upgrades such as cellular, TV, etc., you might want to lay extra wire in any area you open up. It's a pain to have to pull the cab apart repeatedly (voice of experience here).

Old 01-12-2018, 01:49 PM   #439

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Nice cam. Elegant design. We put one in ours, that interfaces video feed with the iPhone. Funniest vid to date was taken when our local Sprinter servicer did a test drive after servicing the transmission. I could tell that he was extra-enthused about the task, getting to drive a one-of-a-kind Sprinter like ours instead of yet another FEDEX van. LOL.

Consider running a water detection wire in your front pillar if it proves such that you have to go to the trouble of opening it up anyway. You should not have to worry about water leaks in that area for many years, BUT, it's not much extra money or time to run a wire in case it's ever needed in the future (blog post).

Also, if you think you might be doing other future upgrades such as cellular, TV, etc., you might want to lay extra wire in any area you open up. It's a pain to have to pull the cab apart repeatedly (voice of experience here).
Thank you again for the suggestions.

Okay. This seems to be the current version of what you have: Honeywell RWD42/a Defense Water Leak Alarm with Sensing Cable - the one you have can still be found but at almost double the price.

If I go in there, I will get the alarm and install it while in there...
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #440
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Installation of the front SumoSprings was straight forward... no need to take the wheel off... no need to get under the AI at all...

• Take all safety precautions. Place chocks in rear wheels.
  • Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right
  • Use a 13mm long socket to undo stock stop. If you are lucky the nut will stay with the socket, if it falls just stick your finger and slide it to the hole and it drops to the floor.
  • Lift AI via front lift support (in the Mercedes Owners Manual you will find the location of the lift points). Lift just enough for inserting the SumoSprings. In my case the wheel/tire was not even up in the air...
  • Insert SumoSpring.
  • I placed some teflon tape around the nut so that is was held in the socket. You can also use one of those magnets that you can insert in the socket to keep the nut in there as well... I was too lazy to use two sockets (short socket works best with these magnets to start the nut on the bolt)...
  • Tighten nut. I was able to do so until the whole thing started turning
  • Slowly lower back in place until the SumoSpring touches the A-arm and keeps it from turning. Finish tightening the nut.
  • Lower the AI
  • Turn steering wheel all the way to the left
  • Rinse and repeat for the other side.

Do the make a ride improvement?

What are the specs and where can one get these Sumo Springs? Front and Rear?

Thanks
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote