Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #441
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
Do the make a ride improvement?

What are the specs and where can one get these Sumo Springs? Front and Rear?

Thanks
I have air ride so no need for them in the back. But here is the information on them:

Front 500 lbs (SSF-106-40)
Rear 2000 lbs (SSR-338-47)

You can buy them from several places. The links above are from Amazon.

And if you want more information on them:

https://www.supersprings.com/application-guide/

I have not taken it out after the install... but good feedback from those in the forum that have done the install...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:35 PM   #442
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
I have air ride so no need for them in the back. But here is the information on them:

Front 500 lbs (SSF-106-40)
Rear 2000 lbs (SSR-338-47)

You can buy them from several places. The links above are from Amazon.

And if you want more information on them:

https://www.supersprings.com/application-guide/

I have not taken it out after the install... but good feedback from those in the forum that have done the install...

Thank you wachuko,

I see on Sumos site they also have an airbag system that seems reasonable at $425? Wandering how this would perform.

I have done rear Koni shocks and upgraded sway bar already so just seeing what’s next best upgrade.
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:35 PM   #443
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
Do the[y] make a ride improvement?
I'm also awaiting the verdict.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:07 PM   #444

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
If you search the forum for SumoSprings you will find feedback...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
...I wasn't looking to increase the GVWR, just improve the ride. Improving stability while parked at a campsite was an unexpected and welcome side effect, as was the extra inch of ground clearance they gave my Interstate.
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-13-2018, 09:44 AM   #445
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I installed Sumo SSR-38-47 on the rear. This was the easiest change to make (vs Koni and sway bar) and some posts said it had the most impact. There was minimal increase in ride height in mine - certainly less than the referenced 1". But maybe my springs were new enough that they had not sagged. Or maybe mine was lightly loaded when installed - I don't recall. There was some improvement in the ride when going over dips and less rocking motion when closely following a big rig. They were a pain to install - but overall I would probably do it again.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #446

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I installed Sumo SSR-38-47 on the rear. This was the easiest change to make (vs Koni and sway bar) and some posts said it had the most impact. There was minimal increase in ride height in mine - certainly less than the referenced 1". But maybe my springs were new enough that they had not sagged. Or maybe mine was lightly loaded when installed - I don't recall. There was some improvement in the ride when going over dips and less rocking motion when closely following a big rig. They were a pain to install - but overall I would probably do it again.
I will probably never know the difference since I did not drive enough for a baseline... but this is one of the modifications made based on experience from others. Just like the Victron Solar control and the Blue Sea ACR... just for peace of mind.

The other one is this... now with the epoxy cured... tested. Works like a charm and no more having to open the door all the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1002.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	302346   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1004.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	302347  

WBCCI #26769
Old 01-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #447
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Definitely better on my T1N - Mostly for larger bumps. (I have air bags on the rear)
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:34 PM   #448

Orlando , Florida
Nothing new to see... only consolidating pending tasks/items list. Almost done with this list:

Not buying the rear door mounted ladder... so that is off the list.
  1. Hitch step. Went with the iStep 14" Black Aluminium Trailer Hitch Step and a no wobble clamp - Ordered
  2. 3M Clear (or Xpel) protection film for the front to protect headlights - Ordered Xpel for the headlights...
  3. 3M Crystalline film on windshield (clear) and side windows (legal tint) - to reduce heat inside while driving. - Appointment made for Jan 27
  4. Some sort of security mechanism for the EMS...might be as simple as a padlock with a short steel wire. I have a padlock, will just get the wire tomorrow at the local Lowes
  5. Ultra Breeze Vent Cover from Fan-Tastic Vent U1500SM - Smoke (I have the smoke color on my wish list in Amazon... still undecided if to go with it or with the one in white...)
  6. Bug screen for the above cover. U1550BL Ultra Breeze Bug Screen
  7. Install switch for LPG.. after all the work with the electrical... I want to wait before I start again on this one... just taking a break, lol.
  8. Add LED light at the back so it illuminates rear area when doors are open. Side LEDs are useless when the storage area is full...so must add another source of light. Thinking of going with this one
  9. Also...why no light on the side where you have to connect everything?? Had to use a flashlight during the hookup because it was already dark out... Airstream should install one on the driver side... I will look at this as well to see if it is easy to install one... I can always use one of those battery LED lights with magnets in the back and just place it temporarily on the AI while I hook up or when checking things at night... or just stick to my trusty LED lamp that I used last time.
  10. Paper towel holder - thinking of where to place it and how to hold it in place. I have seen some magnets with 3M tape behind them. Might get a metal towel paper holder like this one and place the magnets on the aluminum backsplash. Or see if this can be bolted under the cabinet... need to look more into this
  11. Leveling system (yeah... still want one... all I can say is that I am one lazy sob )
  12. Build second board (that can fold away for storage) for additional sleeping space for my son (daughter already claimed the one made). Low priority for now.
  13. Sound deadening material to wrap generator and bring down the noise it makes - have not used the generator, but best to do this now while everything is nice and clean... strange that I can't seem to find this locally... will have to order them online
  14. Looking at this thread for maybe doing something similar for the side glass/windows. Anything that will help lower the inside temperature of our Interstate in this hot Florida climate. It will also offer better privacy.
  15. If after installing the 3M window film we have issues with sun brightness, we will make side shades. Mara will help me with making these. Thank you InterBlog !

Deciding if I install the counter top extension towards the inside or matching the outside border... need to decide as I will be doing the install tomorrow. Thinking that it will be less in the way, and still functional, if I move it a few inches from the outside border... like in the photos.

Drawer removed just to make sure there is nothing inside that could be damaged by screws. I will use an additional board outside to reinforce the mount base for the hinges... will also cover the exposed wood panel with some fabric.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1006.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	302441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1007.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	302442  

Name:	IMG_1009.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	409.5 KB
ID:	302443   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1010.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	497.9 KB
ID:	302445  

Name:	IMG_1011.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	302446  
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #449

Orlando , Florida
Smile

One more task done... The wood they sent was not thick enough... had to add another piece of plywood to have enough clearance to mount the hinges and clear the counter border. Spacer should have been 1". I was not about to sand (or shave) the spacer I made... so it is 1/4" thicker than it should be. Still works and provides an additional support to the extension.

Got some material to cover the plywood under the extension and to also cover the pieces of plywood (spacers) I added to the side of the cabinet.

Happy with the end result.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1013.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	302483   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1014.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	302484  

Name:	IMG_1029.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	302485   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1031.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	302486  

Name:	IMG_1034.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	302487   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1030.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	302488  

Name:	IMG_1027.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	302489  
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-17-2018, 03:51 PM   #450

Orlando , Florida
Almost done with this list (if I don't keep adding anything else):
  1. Hitch step. Went with the iStep 14" Black Aluminium Trailer Hitch Step and a no wobble clamp - Ordered
  2. 3M Clear (or Xpel) protection film for the front to protect headlights - Arrived! Xpel for the headlights...
  3. 3M Crystalline film on windshield (clear) and side windows (legal tint) - to reduce heat inside while driving. - Appointment made for Jan 27
  4. Ultra Breeze Vent Cover from Fan-Tastic Vent U1500SM - Smoke Ordered!
  5. Bug screen for the above cover. Ordered! U1550BL Ultra Breeze Bug Screen
  6. Install switch for LPG.. after all the work with the electrical... I want to wait before I start again on this one... just taking a break, lol.
  7. Add LED light at the back so it illuminates rear area when doors are open. Side LEDs are useless when the storage area is full...so must add another source of light. Ordered! - went with this one: Euro RV LED Light
  8. Paper towel holder - Ordered went with this one . Will figure out how to install it without make it permanent...
  9. Also...why no light on the side where you have to connect everything?? Had to use a flashlight during the hookup because it was already dark out... Airstream should install one on the driver side... I will look at this as well to see if it is easy to install one... Might be able to fit one in the cover to the control panel and tap into the switch already there for the LED light that illuminates the control panel.
  10. Leveling system (yeah... still want one... all I can say is that I am one lazy sob )
  11. Build second board (that can fold away for storage) for additional sleeping space for my son (daughter already claimed the one made). Low priority for now.
  12. Sound deadening material to wrap generator and bring down the noise it makes - have not used the generator, but best to do this now while everything is nice and clean... strange that I can't seem to find this locally... will have to order them online
  13. Looking at this thread for maybe doing something similar for the side glass/windows. Anything that will help lower the inside temperature of our Interstate in this hot Florida climate. It will also offer better privacy.
  14. If after installing the 3M window film we have issues with sun brightness, we will make side shades. Mara will help me with making these. Thank you InterBlog !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1040.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	302580   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1041.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	302581  

WBCCI #26769
Old 01-18-2018, 01:11 PM   #451

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Small correction... I went with the white vent cover instead of the smoke... was worried that even with the UV protectant it was not going to last as much as the white one due to the material it is made of...and white should also allow some light to go in (since the other option was black). Who knows... maybe down the line I have it painted to match the AI silver so that it does not stick out some much...
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-18-2018, 08:30 PM   #452
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Looks like the Interstate EXT has a hydraulic leveling system, you should see what they are using and if you can add it on aftermarket....
Old 01-18-2018, 08:38 PM   #453

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Looks like the Interstate EXT has a hydraulic leveling system, you should see what they are using and if you can add it on aftermarket....
Airstream is now installing them as an option in the new ones...

I did the homework and searched for alternatives... Airstream is now installing E&P. The price to install the E&P leveling kit, including cylinders, hydraulic pump, hoses, controls and controller, on a 2-wheel driver MB Sprinter is $6,824.00 from Advanced RV (only authorized distributor in the US).

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...em-176540.html
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-19-2018, 06:01 AM   #454

Orlando , Florida
Light arrived. To be install at the top of the door...centered on that panel.

Hitch step should be arriving today.

Just too cold to do any install in the afternoon. I need to wait for a warmer day to do this...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1043.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	302661   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1038.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	302662  

WBCCI #26769
Old 01-19-2018, 06:53 AM   #455
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Just too cold to do any install in the afternoon. I need to wait for a warmer day to do this...
What are we now - day four? And still, I have unmelted snow on my roof. In Houston.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:08 AM   #456
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Wachuko, looks like a decent light. Do you plan on wiring it so that it turns on when you open the back door?
Kwils25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:34 AM   #457

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwils25 View Post
Wachuko, looks like a decent light. Do you plan on wiring it so that it turns on when you open the back door?
Correct. I plan to run the wires to the existing side lights in the rear so that it turns on when the door is open and the house red switch is on.

I also have the option of connecting it to the empty switch in the panel I installed for the cooler... but I think that it is best to just make it work with the other two that are controlled by the door since access to that switch, with the cooler in the way, is a bit of a pain.
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-19-2018, 07:34 AM   #458

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
What are we now - day four? And still, I have unmelted snow on my roof. In Houston.
Yikes!
WBCCI #26769
Old 01-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #459
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
34 this morning and 43 at noon. 70-ish forecast for tomorrow.

I have a lot of work to do before we leave for Big Bend at the end of the month, but it is mostly outside stuff like checking tire pressures and working in the rear end of the coach with the doors open.

I chickened out and brought my Smart toad into my garage to design and make a better mount for the wireless tow lights. Up to now, they have been Velcroed to an upside-down cat litter box that rides inside the rear window and tends to get knocked awry by speed bumps and the like.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #460
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Wachuko, that looks like the same AS exterior passenger side light on my '15 GT, which I found to be casting an alarmingly bright glow into neighboring campsites. So I used black electrical tape to mask out the top 60% to diminish the beam spread. FWIW.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote