Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Moving Sun Visor to Side Window?

I'm embarrassed to ask this question, since it seems like it should be so easy, but I haven't figured it out:

How do you move the sun visor to the side window?

We have a 2014 AI and I would guess this is stock on the Mercedes Sprinter van. There is a plastic D-type clip over the visor where it connects on the right side of the driver's sun visor (and left side of the passenger visor). It seems that this clip should either slide one way or pull out of there completely, but I cannot get anything more than a small movement out of it.

Please tell me what I am missing. Thanks.
BrianKrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:37 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKrueger View Post
I'm embarrassed to ask this question, since it seems like it should be so easy, but I haven't figured it out:

We have a 2014 AI and I would guess this is stock on the Mercedes Sprinter van. There is a plastic D-type clip over the visor where it connects on the right side of the driver's sun visor (and left side of the passenger visor). It seems that this clip should either slide one way or pull out of there completely, but I cannot get anything more than a small movement out of it.

On my 2013, you just pull the visor straight out away from the clip you describe above. Then you can rotate it.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Side note to T1N Sprinter-based owners because the title of this thread does not specify which kinds of Interstates are being referred to:

T1N sun visors have always been un-rotatable. For a few years, there was an aftermarket producer who made an adapter-type device that would allow them to be retrofitted and rotated, but that market has been extinct for some time now - they are no longer available.

I use one of those pull-down roller shades that can be bought in any auto chain store. I detest the thing because every time I have to roll down the driver's side window, it detaches and tumbles onto the floor or into my lap.

My husband has designed a better permanent retrofit, but that installation is way down on our priority list and so I don't have instructions to offer yet. But I will someday.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:49 PM   #4

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
On my 2013, you just pull the visor straight out away from the clip you describe above. Then you can rotate it.
I have used everything up to, but not including, a crowbar to get the sunshade on my 2013 AI to pull straight out, down, and even forward to no avail. I considered using a Dremel to cut the clip away but I didn't want to permanently destroy it.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:21 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
I have used everything up to, but not including, a crowbar to get the sunshade on my 2013 AI to pull straight out, down, and even forward to no avail. I considered using a Dremel to cut the clip away but I didn't want to permanently destroy it.
You planted enough doubt in my mind that I drove over to the storage building to make sure I wasn't losing it. Mine is a 2012 chassis and you simply pull the visor away from the clip. We both did this a number of times on our recent trip out west.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Just put on some window tint and be done with it. Just don't go so dark as to attract attention and you'll be fine. Really Really saves on the heat.

If I could do my windshield without a bunch of water leaking down into the dash I would. Not tinted, but to block heat.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
Just put on some window tint and be done with it. Just don't go so dark as to attract attention and you'll be fine. Really Really saves on the heat.
Wish I could do that, but then my Interstate would never pass another mandatory vehicle inspection. Window tinting is only legal in Louisiana behind the B-pillars.

Instead I settled for tinted vent visors from WeatherTech, available from Eurocampers.com and other fine retailers.

They also prove very handy for winter camping where I need to leave a window cracked open while running my furnace, since the cracked-open window with its cold draft is as far away from my bed as you can get in an Airstream Interstate. I normally crack open the passenger-side window because it's also as far away from the furnace and water heater exhaust as you can get.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:23 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2021 25' Globetrotter
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Depere , Wisconsin
Don't be embarrassed Brian...My new 2016 has the additional clip which does not show in jerhofer's photo. I'm like you...I have looked at this numerous ways and unless you break the clip which I hesitate to do, it will not pull out and rotate. I'll try to take a photo tomorrow.
summerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:

I popped off that D-clip with a screwdriver and tossed it as it is not needed if you want to via able to move the visor to side windows.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:32 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2021 25' Globetrotter
Depere , Wisconsin
Thanks Boxster1971...will do tomorrow
summerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:14 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2012 vs. 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
You planted enough doubt in my mind that I drove over to the storage building to make sure I wasn't losing it. Mine is a 2012 chassis and you simply pull the visor away from the clip. We both did this a number of times on our recent trip out west.

Yours looks like what I would expect to see in this (or any other vehicle). But unfortunately, that is not how my 2014 looks. It has a D-type clip around it that keeps it from coming off. If you are the original owner, did it ever have a D-type clip? If yes, how did you remove it?

For any others, did you actually break off the D-type clip? It seems a little crazy to me that Mercedes would design it that way (my car is a Mercedes and I don't have any issues in this category) where it needs to be broken off.

Well, at least I know that I'm not the only one...
BrianKrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:55 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
Had the same problem. Mine is a 214.5 AI. I had to pry them off with a screw driver. Once gone it all works normally. My first AI, a 2009 did not have the clips so I was surprised to find them and I still don't understand the purpose.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:14 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Yours looks like what I would expect to see in this (or any other vehicle). But unfortunately, that is not how my 2014 looks. It has a D-type clip around it that keeps it from coming off. If you are the original owner, did it ever have a D-type clip? If yes, how did you remove it?

For any others, did you actually break off the D-type clip? It seems a little crazy to me that Mercedes would design it that way (my car is a Mercedes and I don't have any issues in this category) where it needs to be broken off.

Well, at least I know that I'm not the only one...
The AI only had 4200 miles on it when we bought it. I did nothing special to the clip so someone else may have removed whatever was there.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:57 PM   #14

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by busb2 View Post
Had the same problem. Mine is a 214.5 AI. I had to pry them off with a screw driver. Once gone it all works normally. My first AI, a 2009 did not have the clips so I was surprised to find them and I still don't understand the purpose.
I may know why the clips are there. Last week the GPS on my iPad guided me to a New Mexico [i]"highway"[/] that morphed from a narrow two lane paved road into 25 or 30 miles of deeply rutted one lane gravel road through the mountains between Taos and Angel Fire New Mexico. Because of the clips, the sun visors were just about the only thing that did not shake loose or pop open on that road. That's why I am reluctant to remove them.

Other than having to reload everything that fell out of the cabinets and closets the AI negotiated the road with great aplomb. The only other traffic on that road were elk and 4x4s filled with elaborate tents, ATVs, guns, and packs of hunters. (If make that trip again I may decide to paint the AI dayglo orange to prevent some over eager hunter from mistaking it for the biggest elk in the mountains.)

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Wish I could do that, but then my Interstate would never pass another mandatory vehicle inspection. Window tinting is only legal in Louisiana behind the B-pillars.

Instead I settled for tinted vent visors from WeatherTech, available from Eurocampers.com and other fine retailers.

They also prove very handy for winter camping where I need to leave a window cracked open while running my furnace, since the cracked-open window with its cold draft is as far away from my bed as you can get in an Airstream Interstate. I normally crack open the passenger-side window because it's also as far away from the furnace and water heater exhaust as you can get.
How often do you have to get an inspection? Are you sure you wouldn't pass with some light tint. The vans back windows are so dark you can't even really tell that mine is tinted. Big difference with the heat plus it was only $130. It isn't legal in CA either but we don't have vehicle inspections and the Leos rarely enforce window tint unless you have "Limo"
Old 10-26-2015, 08:24 PM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
How often do you have to get an inspection?
Annually.
Quote:
Are you sure you wouldn't pass with some light tint.
Quite sure. I applied a mere 10% gray tint to the front windows of my Dodge Durango and was ticketed and given 10 days to remove the tint and get the SUV reinspected. Each automotive window is stamped with the amount of tint it was made with, and if you have more tint than that ahead of the B pillars, you can be cited for it. At least in Louisiana.
Quote:
It isn't legal in CA either but we don't have vehicle inspections and the Leos rarely enforce window tint unless you have "Limo"
Having been burned once, I'm not willing to spend the money to do it on another vehicle only to have to remove the tint later.

When I received the citation, I asked why tinting the front windows was an issue. I was told that tinting on the windows makes it more difficult for law enforcement to see the driver during traffic stops. And considering that Louisiana is one of the few states that allows you to carry a loaded gun concealed within reach of the driver— without a concealed carry permit as long as it's not concealed on your person— I can understand why they wouldn't want to risk being ambushed by a driver they can't see clearly when they pull someone over.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Kinda makes sense with La carry laws. And I know people that use those laws to their benefit.

I'm glad I can get away with it. So nice :rubitin:

BTW that is every states reasoning. Criminals don't need know stinkin carry laws.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:53 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
I concluded this clip is to prevent moving the visor (next to the door window) where it would cover the airbag zone. So I decided the leave the clip in place and had the windows tinted.
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:02 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Regarding the D-clips for the sun visors, I'm wondering if Airstream used to remove them when drapes were part of the kit, since the drapes had two pockets in the middle which had to be put over the inner edges of the visors. So pulling out the visors made it a little easier.
Since mid-2014 (I think) they changed the drapes for removable shades.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:47 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Tint laws vary considerably from state to state, it appears. Texas apparently allows 30%, or more if a person has a medical justification. But tints don't work for those of us with very poor eyesight because of the impact on night driving. And shallow shades such as vent visors don't work well for those of us who are shorter in stature because they don't extend down far enough.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote