Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2015, 06:31 AM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
My brain must be turning to tapioca since I retired. I completely forgot to post what my final solution was, in addition to the vent visors. Baby sunshades…

I've found that the 13×20 size works well in my front Sprinter windows if turned long-ways-up, and because they're removable I can just peel them off. When they're removed they can be stuffed in a door pocket. The only downside is that I can't lower the windows without removing them first.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #22

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Regarding the D-clips for the sun visors, I'm wondering if Airstream used to remove them when drapes were part of the kit, since the drapes had two pockets in the middle which had to be put over the inner edges of the visors. So pulling out the visors made it a little easier.
Since mid-2014 (I think) they changed the drapes for removable shades.
My 2013 has the clips and the drapes with the pockets that go over the inner visor edge. Of course you may be correct and Airstream is inconsistent in implementing details as models evolve.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:33 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
I checked out a new 2015 model this afternoon and I saw the clips you all have been talking about. The ones I saw were plastic and could easily be removed.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:34 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Monroe , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKrueger View Post
It has a D-type clip around it that keeps it from coming off. If you are the original owner, did it ever have a D-type clip? If yes, how did you remove it?
I am the original owner of a 2014 Interstate. I remember noticing and removing the clips that locked the sun visor in. I remember the clips were pretty tight, but I think I removed them with just fingers, no tools. I might have used a screwdriver, but if so, it wasn't a big deal. I didn't have to break anything.
coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:07 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
I concluded this clip is to prevent moving the visor (next to the door window) where it would cover the airbag zone. So I decided the leave the clip in place and had the windows tinted.

Ahhh! I think you are correct the clip is there to prevent visor interfering with the side curtain airbags.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:24 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
... Baby sunshades…
.....The only downside is that I can't lower the windows without removing them first.
I bought one of those indoor-outdoor battery operated thermometers at Walmart for ten bucks with the intention of sticking the digital read-out on the dash and perhaps inserting its transmitter into the Fantastic outer vent shroud (I could also put it under the chassis but it would receive a lot of pavement radiation).

My husband laughed at me and said, "If you want to know the temperature, why don't you just roll down the window, duh?"

I said, "I can't because the stupid sun shade is always there. And I like to mentally prepare for how I'm going to set up my camp site by having an idea in advance of what the prevailing temperature is going to be when I arrive. If I've been driving for four hours nonstop, I don't automatically know what the temperature has become."
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:44 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
My brain must be turning to tapioca since I retired. I completely forgot to post what my final solution was, in addition to the vent visors. Baby sunshades…

I've found that the 13×20 size works well in my front Sprinter windows if turned long-ways-up, and because they're removable I can just peel them off. When they're removed they can be stuffed in a door pocket. The only downside is that I can't lower the windows without removing them first.
These look like the ones attached with tiny suction cups? I use something similar, tho mine are a peel and stick, moveable sunshade.

I don't remember where I bought them.

The windows can still go up and down, but these cut the glare and heat tremendously.

Maggie
Old 10-28-2015, 06:02 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Solved

I stopped by the Mercedes dealer in Hilton Head Island while on our trip and showed the clips to the guy in service. He said that the entire visor and storage area is after market, installed by Airstream. He said that this clip is not standard on the Sprinter Van.

He removed the clips by hand, doing what I was afraid to do, for fear of breaking either the clip or the mounting bracket. He pulled the clip down from the windshield side and rotated it toward the back of the vehicle and off. Yes, it is a very tight fit, and yes, it seems like it will break something when doing it. But he was able to get both clips off.

He said he didn't know why Airstream put them on there, but thought that perhaps they were put in place for shipment to the dealer to hold the visors in place with the windshield shade. But he thought that the Airstream dealer probably should have removed them. Yet ours were still in place and apparently the case for several others.
BrianKrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:08 AM   #29
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
These look like the ones attached with tiny suction cups? I use something similar, tho mine are a peel and stick, moveable sunshade.

The windows can still go up and down, but these cut the glare and heat tremendously.
Mine are held in place by cling film, not suction cups. But the cling film is only one layer; the other layer is a see-through fabric of some kind, hence the need to peel them off before lowering the windows. They are very effective at cutting glare and UV light.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:50 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I bought one of those indoor-outdoor battery operated thermometers at Walmart for ten bucks with the intention of sticking the digital read-out on the dash and perhaps inserting its transmitter into the Fantastic outer vent shroud (I could also put it under the chassis but it would receive a lot of pavement radiation).

My husband laughed at me and said, "If you want to know the temperature, why don't you just roll down the window, duh?"
I take it that the T1Ns don't have the external temp. display on the IP.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:42 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKrueger View Post
I stopped by the Mercedes dealer in Hilton Head Island while on our trip and showed the clips to the guy in service. He said that the entire visor and storage area is after market, installed by Airstream. He said that this clip is not standard on the Sprinter Van.

He removed the clips by hand, doing what I was afraid to do, for fear of breaking either the clip or the mounting bracket. He pulled the clip down from the windshield side and rotated it toward the back of the vehicle and off. Yes, it is a very tight fit, and yes, it seems like it will break something when doing it. But he was able to get both clips off.

He said he didn't know why Airstream put them on there, but thought that perhaps they were put in place for shipment to the dealer to hold the visors in place with the windshield shade. But he thought that the Airstream dealer probably should have removed them. Yet ours were still in place and apparently the case for several others.

Was that MB dealer in Hilton Head a Sprinter dealer? That guy in service doesn't know Sprinters. The visor and the storage shelf they are attached to are OEM Mercedes items, not Airstream items. Just look in your owner's manual. I've attached the pages from my 2012 Mercedes Sprinter owner's manual that show the storage shelf above the windshield. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1446090098.660683.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	251255Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1446090119.961561.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	251256

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:56 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I take it that the T1Ns don't have the external temp. display on the IP.
They do, but it displays as teeny tiny thin-line black LCD type against a dull amber backlight. There is zero chance I will ever be able to read it while in motion, especially while wearing sunglasses (which I am most of the time). To my knowledge, T1N's have never won any awards for ergonomics.

This is what the ten dollar Walmart version looks like. Now THAT I can read.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151030_TEMP.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	251345  
Old 10-31-2015, 09:12 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Sacramento , California
I called Airstream in Jackson Center when I wanted to move the visor over to the side window and I could not move it. I was told that the clip is there to stop the visor from interfering with the airbags.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
lamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:49 PM   #34
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
That is correct, there are side curtain airbags in the MB and if your visor is to the side and airbag goes off then it blows the visor into your head!

Of course if the sun is blinding you from the side and you can't see where your going - you might need the airbag!

I'd say I removed the clip, but don't want any MB lawyers to know in case I get smacked by a visor in an accident.

Mike
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:55 AM   #35

anytown , Kansas
Shipping clip needs to be removed

Everyone, the Mercedes Sprinter chassis is shipped with a clip to keep the visor in place. To remove it so the visor can be pivoted to the side, pull the visor down and use a pry tool (i.e., large clean standard screwdriver) to pop the clip off. That's it! See https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...i5Be00sgFv0JSk
drh20s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:35 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh20s View Post
Everyone, the Mercedes Sprinter chassis is shipped with a clip to keep the visor in place. To remove it so the visor can be pivoted to the side, pull the visor down and use a pry tool (i.e., large clean standard screwdriver) to pop the clip off. That's it!
This is an old thread, but other posters have it right. The reason that clip is there on newer Interstates is for your safety. The newer Sprinters have a side curtain airbag, and if it deployed with the visor right there, it could send the visor right into the side of your head!!! This is NOT a "shipping clip"!!!!
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:28 AM   #37

anytown , Kansas
Visor no more of a threat than wearing glasses

I counter, citing that wearing eye glasses or drinking from a bottle or a glass would be more dangerous than the visor, which would spin around. How can it hit you when the airbag goes off it doesn't hit you when you pivot it to the side?
drh20s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh20s View Post
I counter, citing that wearing eye glasses or drinking from a bottle or a glass would be more dangerous than the visor, which would spin around. How can it hit you when the airbag goes off it doesn't hit you when you pivot it to the side?
Mercedes doesn't make your glasses, water bottle, etc., therefore they aren't liable. Blame the lawyers.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 03:56 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Scanning back over this thread, I don't think I posted my DIY side-window sun visor alternative on this one (I probably mentioned it on Mods or somewhere like that).

When I first set out to make this thing, I thought it seemed like a good idea. After having driven about 10k miles with it, I think it's the best thing since sliced bread, and I would never travel without it. Everybody's needs are different, and my eyes are extremely sensitive, so this works for me. It's attached using tiny neodymium magnets and can be adjusted by just scooting the magnets around. Or it can be snatched off in a microsecond if needed.

DIY instructions here for anyone has a concern with potentially blowing their heads off via airbag-driven sun visor impacts.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:10 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Anywhere USA , USA
Playing the Odds

I removed those clips on the third trip. In my opinion, and I am speaking for myself, the odds of me getting into an accident that deploys the airbags is low. It's never happened to me yet in all my years. The odds that I have the visor over to the side during that accident are even lower, I probably rotate it less than 5% of the time I drive. It is more important for my safety to get the sun out my eyes immediately when needed so I can see to drive.

Lastly, I pity the 1/2 pound visor that slams into my 9 pound head at 100 mph or however fast the airbag propels it. (Lol - hope that isn't what get's written on my headstone)

Just you wait, this is America after all. MB will get sued because someone was blinded by the sun from the drivers window and tried to rotate the visor but couldn't and got into an accident. Then they will figure out how to allow the visor to rotate AND deploy the airbag safely.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote