Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Preplexing TST TPMS Issue

First trip this year and the outer right rear tire sensor did not work. I changed the battery, sensor still not working, moved the sensor on that tire to the front tire sensor is working. So the problem does not appear to be the sensor. Also, this sensor has worked on the rear outer tire since installed in Jan 2016. Any ideas as to what the problem could be?
Old 04-19-2017, 01:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Has anything changed in that part of your coach? For example, have you installed a WiFi router, cell signal booster, etc. anywhere near there? I ask because based on your description, it sounds like it might be a RF signal issue and something is interfering with that sensor (which just happens to be the farthest away from your receiver).
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Southaven , Mississippi
No changes have been made to the RV. All other sensors are working fine and the inner wheel on the right side is working only the outer wheel is not.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
When you removed the sensor from the rear tire did you hear air escape as you did. I ask this to determine that the sensor was in fact turned on while on that tire. Sensors do not transmit without seeing pressure.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Southaven , Mississippi
Yes, air did escape when removing. Manually checked the air pressure and it is registering ok. Appreciate the comment.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:50 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
One of the reasons I purchased a TST TPMS was due to the numerous comments of excellent customer service. Although I have not needed to contact them with my unit, I'll bet they'll take good care of you if give them a call.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntAsphalt View Post
One of the reasons I purchased a TST TPMS was due to the numerous comments of excellent customer service. Although I have not needed to contact them with my unit, I'll bet they'll take good care of you if give them a call.
I second this suggestion. I've had nothing but excellent customer service from them - give them a call. Mike
2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II #135
2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7
MikeandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:14 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Southaven , Mississippi
I called them first and they suggested moving the sensor to another tire to see if it was a problem with the sensor. I did that and the sensor checked out fine on the other wheel. Since the problem is not the sensor but something on that particular wheel, not sure how they could help.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:11 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
If the receiver doesn't pick up that tire's sensor when you hold it close to it, you could try to rule out the tire valve. Jack up that dually (or drive the inner tire up on a board) and replace the valve stem core. Of course you'll need a valve core wrench and a compressor to air the tire up.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:16 PM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Once one of our 6 sensors quit reporting. I replace the batteries in all sensors. One of the batteries turned out to be low voltage..

On another time, the battery contacts needed a little cleaning up...

On a third occasion the valve stem was dirty/jamming.. no airflow to the sensor but it still reported to the receiver.

We did have to add repeater because of the trailer / TV rig.

Finally, I cleared the monitor... and recalibrated / set each position. That has been 2 years now.. not a single failure...

You can certainly trust that Mike will help resolve...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:52 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Southaven , Mississippi
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your suggestions and will try each one.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:09 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Englewood , Colorado
I have the TST on my truck and double axle airstream. The back right sensor loses connection to the monitor on occasion. I double check to make sure all is well, then unplug and replug in the monitor. I have rotated the sensors across all 8 tires and it always the right rear. I assume it is a distance issue for me...
Tomhenritze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:49 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I have TST on my TV and trailer. It took a couple times through the set-up to get it working right, but since then it has been a champ. I had a very similar frustration. I just went through the set-up again and it all came together. I have a full size truck and a 28' AS with back-up camera's and other electronics running and don't seem to have an issue. I regularly check my tire pressure before and during trips so I remove and replace sensor without a problem. It sometimes takes a bit to get them all synchronized with the monitor, so I try to remember to turn on the monitor 15-30 minutes before I get rolling. When I was having problems initially customer service sent me out a new monitor to see if that was it but as I said, it wasn't the issue. Try going through the set-up again.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I had the same type of issue - I added a repeater inside of the propane tank cover and problem went away. When talking to the manufacturer they told me that any type of signal could cause interference enough interrupt the TST signal. Since I was running a GPS, the wireless monitor for my camera, my cell phone on Bluetooth as well as other interference from the trucks internal electronics I am sure that was the initial issue. Here is video showing where I put it - I also added a switch and disconnect.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
The right rear tire consistently gives me erratic signals on my TST TMPS. Sometimes it works. Often it's a "no show." I haven't figured out any rhyme or reason to it. It's just erratic.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:18 PM   #16
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I had a different brand monitor on my Classic 28. I had an occasional dropout of the right rear tandem wheel, particularly in a long left turn such as in freeway exits. It always came back alive when I straightened out.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:10 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Southaven , Mississippi
Mine is the right outer rear, but it has not shown any signs of life. I cleaned the battery contacts, no luck, so tomorrow am going to autozone and get a stem core remover and give that a try. Appreciate all the input and suggestions.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:38 PM   #18
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Dalwyn, if you bring the monitor to the sensor, does it work? I took all of my sensors and established a range for each. The monitor will work without being plugged in. So, I set the monitor and sensors on a table, then I walked each sensor away. When the monitor stops reading, you move back slowly until it registers again. That is max "line of sight" signal for that sensor. Each sensor should read at least 40' or further with no obstruction. And you need to know the range of each to inform Mike of your results.

On our 34' there was intermittent signal loss, especially on interstate or major highways with big rigs or crowded with cages. When I added the repeater, I placed it under the left bumper of the truck and tied it to the "running lights" on the driver side. That gave better reception. I added a second repeater in the rear truck window.. that fixed the dropouts for a couple years.

I now plan on repositioning the bumper repeater inside the AS, on a switched power source... hope that keeps things working.

Our AS really are hard to transmit around and the sensors do not have high power to conserve the tiny battery...
Old 04-21-2017, 05:46 AM   #19
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
AStreamNerds: I love your Repeater installation. Can you provide Make/Model of your REPEATER? That way, I'll know it'll work with the TST sensors..... Thanks.
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:07 AM   #20
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by glcmranger View Post
AStreamNerds: I love your Repeater installation. Can you provide Make/Model of your REPEATER? That way, I'll know it'll work with the TST sensors..... Thanks.
TST was provider of the repeater... Mike and team assisted debug. One sensor of 6 failed and quickly replaced.