Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #183
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
I was too concerned that the flimsy rubber inner rear wheel air nozzle would bend under the weight when spinning and either allow air out or damage it, and with the plastic extender, even more so.
None of your tires should have rubber valve stems; high-pressure tires should only have rigid aluminum stems.

The plastic extensions on my inside rear tires were about an inch too short for my tastes, so I replaced the extensions with rigid aluminum ones that match the rigid aluminum valve stems. For the sake of convenience I also added "J"-shaped extensions on the outside rear tires. And to complete the set, I got a long flexible extension with braided steel cover for the spare tire, and fastened the end of it to the rear bumper. Now I can top off all seven tires when necessary without having to hunt up a truck stop with push-pull air chucks on their hoses, since a standard chuck works all around. But oddly enough, since adding the new extensions, I haven't needed to add air even once— unlike with the plastic extensions where I had to add 5psi per month.

I don't use TPMS, though I suppose I could now that I've got extensions secure enough to hold them.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #184
3 Rivet Member
 
jquayle's Avatar
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
FWIW the P/N for the Magnaflow tip I used was 35136.
Ordered mine today from amazon.
__________________

__________________
jquayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #185
Rivet Master
 
73shark's Avatar
 
2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,739
I hope the Interstate still uses a two and a half inch exhaust pipe.
__________________
Glass half full or half empty to an engineer is the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #186
4 Rivet Member
 
2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 447
Hmmm.. I am pretty sure they are not metal stems on the inside rim. In fact, I specifically tried to replace them and was told I couldn't do so by both the MB dealer and the tire shop and I HAD to use the ones that came with the wheel. The steel wheels have a weird shape inside that makes any other stem not fit for some reason. Are the valve stems original that are on the inner steel wheels?

It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure that's the case. I will have to do some more checking, though if you are sure the inside wheels are in fact metal and not rubber. If the valve stems are metal, the the TPMS stems should work fine.

Gerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
None of your tires should have rubber valve stems; high-pressure tires should only have rigid aluminum stems.

The plastic extensions on my inside rear tires were about an inch too short for my tastes, so I replaced the extensions with rigid aluminum ones that match the rigid aluminum valve stems. For the sake of convenience I also added "J"-shaped extensions on the outside rear tires. And to complete the set, I got a long flexible extension with braided steel cover for the spare tire, and fastened the end of it to the rear bumper. Now I can top off all seven tires when necessary without having to hunt up a truck stop with push-pull air chucks on their hoses, since a standard chuck works all around. But oddly enough, since adding the new extensions, I haven't needed to add air even onceó unlike with the plastic extensions where I had to add 5psi per month.

I don't use TPMS, though I suppose I could now that I've got extensions secure enough to hold them.
__________________
2011 Interstate WD/Lounge
gmillerok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #187
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
ÖI HAD to use the ones that came with the wheel.
That's why I'm confused. My interstate came with seven wheels that all have aluminum valve stems. No rubber stems. But then again, my Interstate has Alcoa aluminum wheels all around, too, not steel rims.

That said, disregard my previous post. Further research has shown me that rubber valve stems are still legal on vehicles that don't have built-in TPMS (i.e. GVWR over 10,000 pounds and/or more than four tires on the ground), but only if they have metal valve stem caps; can't use rubber caps anymore. But for vehicles with factory TPMS, only aluminum stems are allowed, according to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Since Interstates meet both of the FMVSS exclusion criteria for TPMS, what I said before doesn't apply.

Apologies for the mistake.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #188
4 Rivet Member
 
2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 447
It came with aluminum wheels on the inner rear wheels? Mine are the original steel. I can't find any information about aluminum inside rear wheels from Alcoa. If I could simply replace them with whatever inner wheel is on yours, that would partially solve my problem (removing and replacing the stock rubber valve stems with aluminum so I can put a longer extension and use a TPMS sensor).

Maybe Airstream ran out of the aluminum inner wheel and just said the heck with it, use the original steel on mine. LOL!

Gerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That's why I'm confused. My interstate came with seven wheels that all have aluminum valve stems. No rubber stems. But then again, my Interstate has Alcoa aluminum wheels all around, too, not steel rims.

That said, disregard my previous post. Further research has shown me that rubber valve stems are still legal on vehicles that don't have built-in TPMS (i.e. GVWR over 10,000 pounds and/or more than four tires on the ground), but only if they have metal valve stem caps; can't use rubber caps anymore. But for vehicles with factory TPMS, only aluminum stems are allowed, according to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Since Interstates meet both of the FMVSS exclusion criteria for TPMS, what I said before doesn't apply.

Apologies for the mistake.
__________________
2011 Interstate WD/Lounge
gmillerok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #189
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
It came with aluminum wheels on the inner rear wheels?
Sure looked like it when Foley RV (a/k/a Airstream of Mississippi) had the rear wheels off during some maintenance work.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #190
Rivet Master
 
73shark's Avatar
 
2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That's why I'm confused. My interstate came with seven wheels that all have aluminum valve stems. No rubber stems. But then again, my Interstate has Alcoa aluminum wheels all around, too, not steel rims.

That said, disregard my previous post. Further research has shown me that rubber valve stems are still legal on vehicles that don't have built-in TPMS (i.e. GVWR over 10,000 pounds and/or more than four tires on the ground), but only if they have metal valve stem caps; can't use rubber caps anymore. But for vehicles with factory TPMS, only aluminum stems are allowed, according to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Since Interstates meet both of the FMVSS exclusion criteria for TPMS, what I said before doesn't apply.

Apologies for the mistake.
So you're saying that your inner dual is a aluminum wheel also. I know mine are steel because they have rubber valve stems and a plastic extension.

That's why I will probably never rotate the tires because I would have to dismount and remount and balance all 6. As well as the tires are wearing currently, I will probably have to replace due to age, not wear.
__________________
Glass half full or half empty to an engineer is the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #191
3 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 211
I do not think Alcoa makes rims for the inner dually. The front and the rear outside are the same wheel with different part numbers specifying which side is polished. The inner dual is the MB steel wheel.
__________________
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #192
Rivet Master
 
73shark's Avatar
 
2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
I do not think Alcoa makes rims for the inner dually. The front and the rear outside are the same wheel with different part numbers specifying which side is polished. The inner dual is the MB steel wheel.

You mean the inside of the front and rears isn't polished at all? I figured it was but would be real cruddy due to not being cleaned periodically. Sure wished they'd used the Alcoa Durabright wheels.
__________________
Glass half full or half empty to an engineer is the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #193
4 Rivet Member
 
2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 447
I rotated mine twice in 23,000 miles@$60 for each rotation for all six. The rear inner just go to the other side but the others do have to be broken down. The first time the shop marred the rear outer rim on one wheel by placing it on the wrong side to break the tire and ended up buying me a new wheel for $300 their cost. They didn't make that mistake the second time. They didn't hesitate to accept fault even though it was a couple a days later when I noticed it. Small town, and I have done business there for decades.

Gerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
So you're saying that your inner dual is a aluminum wheel also. I know mine are steel because they have rubber valve stems and a plastic extension.

That's why I will probably never rotate the tires because I would have to dismount and remount and balance all 6. As well as the tires are wearing currently, I will probably have to replace due to age, not wear.
__________________
2011 Interstate WD/Lounge
gmillerok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #194
4 Rivet Member
 
2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 447
Mine are definitly stock steel wheels on the inside rears. MB actually replaced one because it wobbled so much the tire dealer said the tire would wear prematurely.

Gerald



Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
You mean the inside of the front and rears isn't polished at all? I figured it was but would be real cruddy due to not being cleaned periodically. Sure wished they'd used the Alcoa Durabright wheels.
__________________
2011 Interstate WD/Lounge
gmillerok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #195
2 Rivet Member
 
Billshop's Avatar
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fairport , New York
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 20
Some upgrades on my new 2014 Interstate:
1. Upgraded the Inverter remote panel to Magnum RC50
2. Installed the magnum Battery minder kit
3. installed the Magnum Auto Generator start (for temp. & battery monitor)
4. Added an inside switch for the Propane shut-off
5. Installed the teak floor mat in bath/shower
6. Installed a battery operated motion light in bath/shower (for those late night visits)
7. Installed a 30 amp surge protector
8. Installing side & rear screens
9. Installed padded arm rests on driver & pass doors
10.Installed swingaway cargo box on rear hitch

Love the coach... biggest gripe= 1.how easy it is to close cover on sink with Fawcett open.
It seems this design has not been thought through.
__________________
Billshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #196
4 Rivet Member
 
Teamaron's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billshop View Post
Some upgrades on my new 2014 Interstate:
1. Upgraded the Inverter remote panel to Magnum RC50
2. Installed the magnum Battery minder kit
3. installed the Magnum Auto Generator start (for temp. & battery monitor)
4. Added an inside switch for the Propane shut-off
5. Installed the teak floor mat in bath/shower
6. Installed a battery operated motion light in bath/shower (for those late night visits)
7. Installed a 30 amp surge protector
8. Installing side & rear screens
9. Installed padded arm rests on driver & pass doors
10.Installed swingaway cargo box on rear hitch

Love the coach... biggest gripe= 1.how easy it is to close cover on sink with Fawcett open.
It seems this design has not been thought through.
Any pictures ?
__________________

__________________
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.