Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #401
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I'd worry a little bit about the cutting board becoming a projectile in an accident. Ouch.
I know.

Living a bit dangerously.

Maggie
Old 07-26-2014, 11:24 AM   #402
2 Rivet Member

2004 22' Interstate
Davis , California
To all who answered and gave me amazon links; many thanks! I like the bamboo and will buy one. Helps to know it fits over the RV unit. I actually have the same sort of thing in my home kitchen. It covers a small built in grill beside my induction cooktop making the grill covered by the board a nice workspace and when the grill is in place the board slides over the cooktop. I has this one made and figures is have to do the same for the RV. I Hope I can lean it against the back window when I use the burners. My galley is in the back and may be a bit tighter than those in the front. I will probably put Velcro on the back edges only to hold it on while traveling. I agree there are so many possible projectiles, I can't worry about them all. Thanks again!
DavisBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #403
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
I took a file and sanding block and did a small bevel on the edges and corners of the cabinet doors. Not so sharp now and haven't needed a bandaid for a while.

Flipped the wardrobe door over so it opens from the front instead of from the rear. Much more accessable now.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:16 AM   #404
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
I took a file and sanding block and did a small bevel on the edges and corners of the cabinet doors. Not so sharp now and haven't needed a bandaid for a while.

Flipped the wardrobe door over so it opens from the front instead of from the rear. Much more accessable now.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #405
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Nice work:

I took a black sharpie to seam edges of our cabinets since it is onyx color to hide the exposed joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:43 AM   #406
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
Hope someone from Jackson Center follows the AirForums and reads this. My poor bald head has a couple of permanent dents and scars from pumping into sharp corners of the overhead cabinet doors that protrude into the aisle when open.

I haven't bothered to sand down the corners and edges, though; I learned by Pavlovian negative reinforcement to never leave an overhead cabinet door open when it is not in my direct line-of-sight— always open the door while you're looking at it, and close it again before looking away. But it was a VERY painful and bloody lesson to learn!
Old 08-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #407
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
I've been meaning to do this since our first outing - haven't looked at hinges in a while, did you have any issues or was it a simple "remove & replace" Seems I looked at it and determined it would have taken more than an hour or so and left it at that.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #408
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
My poor bald head has a couple of permanent dents and scars from pumping into sharp corners
"pumping" into sharp corners? Geez! I'd better learn to proofread my posts insead of just relying on spell-check. That was supposed to be "bumping."
Old 08-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #409
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:

I did the same on our wardrobe door - much easier access now. Next I need to do the beveling on the edges.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #410
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
Nice work:

I took a black sharpie to seam edges of our cabinets since it is onyx color to hide the exposed joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Great idea - I need to the same.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #411
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Hope someone from Jackson Center follows the AirForums and reads this. My poor bald head has a couple of permanent dents and scars from pumping into sharp corners of the overhead cabinet doors that protrude into the aisle when open.

I haven't bothered to sand down the corners and edges, though; I learned by Pavlovian negative reinforcement to never leave an overhead cabinet door open when it is not in my direct line-of-sight— always open the door while you're looking at it, and close it again before looking away. But it was a VERY painful and bloody lesson to learn!
Mine wasn't so much the overhead doors although they got "the treatment" too. It was all the edges were just way to sharp. Small metal file held at 45 degree angle and just a slight bevel, makes all the difference in the world. This is really how they should come from the factory.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #412
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
I've been meaning to do this since our first outing - haven't looked at hinges in a while, did you have any issues or was it a simple "remove & replace" Seems I looked at it and determined it would have taken more than an hour or so and left it at that.
It took around 20 or 30 minutes.

First I took the door off with hinges attached.
Carefully measured the bottom & top hinge holes and drilled new pilot holes on the opposite side.
Removed latch and remounted on opposite side.

Pretty easy deal. Came out sweet and really makes life easier, especially when the bed is made up.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #413
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We created a custom frame for our front license plate because our T1N model year has that odd trapezoid inset area where a plate ought to be. Sourcing and installation details in the post.

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: FRONT LICENSE PLATE FRAME FOR THE T1N AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BEFORE-AFTER.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	229053  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #414
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
I don't think I posted this before. I'd prefer to see Airstream use the MB factory back up camera. It will work with aftermarket dash radios. I hated the little tiny camera right over the 3rd brake light. When at night backing up and raining, useless and if you left it on via the cheap Pyle screen over the mirror again when you had brake lights on the red glare was terrible. Now that I have a new unit from Roadtrek it uses the factory camera with the factory radio. Much better camera position. Not that the MB radio is anything great though.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #415
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
I don't know how well this camera would work but I like the design.

HF-SPRINTER-CAM by HFVT Camera in Tail Light Cameras - HFVT
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:09 PM   #416
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Los Gatos , California
We are discovering, in our new Grand Tour, that there is no such thing as "too much storage"...not just the big items, but just places to put "stuff". For example, we find that once the bed is set up and we are stuffed snugly inside, there is no place to put the cell phone, eyeglasses, tv remote, etc. So I took some scrap wood in the workshop and made these little holders that will hang over the edge of the window trim near the head of the bed. No more cell phone lost in the bedding!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bedside holders.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	229318  
tlundell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #417
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
My rear doors have pockets just below the windows that are very handy for that purpose. Did Sprinter delete those?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:34 AM   #418
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlundell View Post
We are discovering, in our new Grand Tour, that there is no such thing as "too much storage"...not just the big items, but just places to put "stuff". For example, we find that once the bed is set up and we are stuffed snugly inside, there is no place to put the cell phone, eyeglasses, tv remote, etc. So I took some scrap wood in the workshop and made these little holders that will hang over the edge of the window trim near the head of the bed. No more cell phone lost in the bedding!
This thread overlaps a bit with the Small Space Living thread, where this was posted. I adapted a canvas bedside caddy from Bed Bath and Beyond to perform the same function. I am never without a large book by my bed (wherever it may be), so I needed something to hold that also. I hang mine on the edge of the galley counter but the hooks could also be modified to hang from a window frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-DSC_0050 - Copy.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	229344  
Old 01-05-2015, 06:14 AM   #419
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We added a Tri-Metric battery monitor (white gizmo photo left), which gives much more detail than the simple lighted bar scale (how accurate is it?) that our 2007 was born with. The brand was chosen based on the recommendations of the well-known RV blogger known as "Handy Bob". This addition will definitely help my husband to relax while boondocking.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-IMG_4442.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	229844  
Old 01-06-2015, 02:52 PM   #420
2 Rivet Member

2004 22' Interstate
Davis , California
Looks like you have a jackknife couch. We took ours out first thing, installed a hinged plywood platform for easy assess to storage below and a nice foam mattress. I sleep like a baby.
DavisBurns is offline   Reply With Quote