Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2017, 12:52 PM   #1

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lititz , Pennsylvania
Extend-a-stay propane installation

I own a 2014 Interstate Lounge and would like to know if anyone has installed an extend-a-stay adapter on their propane tank? I know the space is very limited just looking for a convenient propane solution when long term camping. Any help is appreciated.
TimBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Hi, Tim. Welcome to Air Forums. I'm not sure if you managed to find this thread (Air Forums is difficult to search), but that's the most heated debate that we have had recently on The Propane Issue. Several of us talked about adding an aux port for hooking up a secondary tank, but I don't know that anyone proceeded with the mod. If they did, I don't think they reported back here. Part of the problem is carrying the extra tank even if a port did become available. The Interstate doesn't really supply safe options for doing so.

For what do you anticipate needing the extra propane? Primarily for the coach furnace or for other functions?

My husband and I are DIYers and have made extensive mods to our Interstate in the 2.5 in years we have owned it. Right now (God help me), I'm jonesing for a diesel heater. We have land in Canada and I'd like to spend more time there, but we are severely propane-limited at this point because of the furnace mostly (we also have a 3-way fridge, but in cold weather, the fridge consumes relatively little propane, as does the stove).

Just to intensify my jonesing, this morning I came across this detailed DIY post by blogger RadVanAdventures, describing his retrofit; he also references other installers who are well-known for their vanbuild skills.

Want one! Want one! Want one! Having a heater such as that attached to our main diesel tank would utterly change our Interstate's capabilities.

SO, if that kind of supplemental heating capability is what you're thinking about, then on an Interstate a diesel heater retrofit might be an easier solution than a second propane tank or temporary propane tank. Might.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
. . . Air Forums is difficult to search . . .
Have you tried the new search function directly above in the blue box at the top of the page? It works much better than the old search functions in the drop-down menu IMO.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Have you tried the new search function directly above in the blue box at the top of the page? It works much better than the old search functions in the drop-down menu IMO.
I got 12,300 results using that method trying to re-locate that particular propane thread.

Most of the time when I successfully dredge up old threads, it's on the basis of my own institutional knowledge. I remember some key word from the thread that probably will not occur in other threads, or which will occur only rarely.

In the case of the previous propane thread, that keyword was "golf".
Old 05-08-2017, 06:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
IB- you should already have an Espar heater. Of course, without mods it won't run without the engine running and it isn't really all that effective for heat in the back of the van- unless some more mods were done.
I modified mine to run off the coach battery without the engine on.

But I am without- I would'nt mind ditching the propane furnace and changing it to a diesel one.

I don't if that is what the OP was looking for- or propane for other reasons.
Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:22 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Overland Park , Kansas
That's what I was thinking. If we already have one why not use it for heat and hot water. Is this one not big enough? Anyone smarter than me thought this thru and have details to share?
itsmeok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:50 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
I installed an Extended Stay on my current and previous Airstreams. I used it to provide propane for an outside grill. I have had no problems with it. You have to remember that it will draw from only one to the two tanks installed on the AS. I just use the other tank as my primary until it becomes empty.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
My Landyacht already had the extend-a-stay adapter on my single 25 gal propane tank. The adapter allows me to connect a hose from the RV to my portable gas grill. It also can be used to draw from a tank on the ground vs the main tank to keep my furnace, water heater, or stove operating longer.

What I can not do is add to the liquid propane for my generator yet. That requires another adapter installed on the liquid line out and connected to a portable tank similar to those used on propane fueled forklifts. Liquid propane draws from the bottom of a tank and vapor propane draws from the top. Got a big lesson in this while boondocking for 30 days in Key West last March.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have one for my grill. I use it like explained in Post #7. Works fine.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:22 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
IB- you should already have an Espar heater. ...

But I am without- I would'nt mind ditching the propane furnace and changing it to a diesel one.
With what little research I've done, there seems to be a consensus that T1Ns could go either way. I was assuming that the stripped-down boxes that MB sold to Airstream are all without, because they were just cargo vans, no frills. But neither LB_3 nor I have physically checked yet. Too many other projects.

Nor have we researched whether we'd need to tap the fuel tank ourselves. Some folks on Sprinter Forum found that they did need to do that - there was no existing port. Other owners found that their vans were born with ports.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
It takes about two minutes to check.
Open bonnet.
Look behind headlamp and a bit below.
See if Espar is sitting there.

Pressing the middle button on AC/Reciurc button should make a sound like a turbine starting up with the engine running.
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote