Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Alaska Highway

I drove up the Alaska Highway 29 years ago in a 15 passenger Ford van and was surprised about how bad it wasn't. I was planning to repeat the trip next year in our AI. Was talking to a guy this summer and he was saying how bad it was - he saw many broken axles, etc. Am wondering if anybody has taken the trip recently in their AI, and their opinions on the road conditions, things to look out for, etc.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
We've met a couple that made the trip in their AI. My understanding is that the Alaska highway isn't terrible but with only 4 months of construction season, there will be some delays in the summer and some gravel stretches that are having new asphalt applied.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I made the trip to Alaska with my Interstate in 2014. Road conditions were generally OK in July. Still some construction delays put no big problems. If you go up there too early, like in first part of May, you will run into worst road conditions. Buy the end of August most road construction is finished.

My view is people who broke an axle drove too fast for conditions and didn't heed the pot hole/road hazard markers.

If you are even thinking about driving to Alaska get a copy of Milepost. It is a must have to guide you along the ALCAN Highway.
http://www.themilepost.com/

Have fun and plan on getting stone chips in your windshield. I got two on our trip. One repaired in Anchorage and one in Fairbank. Did not get stone chips while on the ALCAN Highway. Got them on paved roads near Anchorage and Fairbanks from gravel trucks. One going in my direction and another going in the opposite direction.

Got my third set of stone chips while in Colorado last year. One of these days I will likely have to replace my windshield. I think I'll do that after I make my next trip to Alaska.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:47 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Whitehouse , Texas
Alaska Highway

Did the Alaska Highway and Dempster in our AI in May of 2015. No problems with the highway, but the Dempster was almost 400 miles of unpaved, dusty, dead-end road...but the scenery and wildlife were great. Returned via the Alaska Marine Highway. Plenty of opportunities to boondock, no problems getting diesel. Took two spare wheels/tires, but did not need them. Had a leak in the black water talk repaired in Whitehorse. Did need to replace the windshield when we returned. Spent six weeks in the Airstream Interstate and covered 15,000 miles. Great trip, hope to repeat it.
Bald Bob is offline   Reply With Quote