Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
W/D hitch

Getting ready to buy a 2012 27FB Int'l. I know everyone has their opinions on W/D hitches with sway control. I will be towing with F250 diesel. A couple of questions:
1. Given my setup, what brands would you recommend?
2. Is the A/S frame already pre-drilled for the W/D hitch?
Thanks,
John
neck101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I just Ordered my Andersen hitch. It's new and looks good and simple to use. and you can get one for $400-$450

No the frames are not pre drilled as every brand goes in a little different place.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Hensley and Propride seem to be the top end and folks have nothing but good things to say about them.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Cimarron , Colorado
just to add to the confusion, I'm using the Equal-i-zer with the 10K bars on a 27fb classic and F250 diesel. Set the bars fairly light and get a good ride with 0 sway.

Didn't know about the Anderson when I got my setup but it does look interesting.

good luck
Bruce
zeke07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Second the Andersen, I have one and am very happy with it. In fact I have not heard anything negative from someone that actually has and uses one.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

neck,

You spared no expense on a new Airstream, don't start cutting corners now.

Go for quality....

Proper set-up is as/more important than brand.

ALL rig's will benefit from a properly set-up WD hitch with sway control.

Don't fall for the myth...."it toes so well, I don't even know it's behind me."

Thats not the goal, the goal is a balanced safe rig that your comfortable with being behind you.

Bob
Old 06-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Bob...could not agree with you more, and I will go for quality. So sense you brought it up, what's your suggestion?

Colonial RV says they recommend Reese and Equal-i-zer. Foley RV has used Equal-i-zer and also recommends Blue Ox. These happen to be the 2 dealers I am working with. Problem for me is that w/d hitches are completely new to me, so I don't really know which brand/model/set-up is more quality than the next.

Hence the question about recommendations.
neck101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I have a trailer a few feet longer than the 27, but I use a similar tow vehicle. I use a ProPride and would not consider anything else currently available.

Trailer Sway Control Hitch Guaranteed to Eliminate Trailer Sway - ProPride 3P

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-57179.html

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Hensley while it has a WD consideration it was originally designed to control sway. Mechanically it has a very good reputation for doing that. However it also has a poor reputation for easy of use and expensive original cost. ProPride is just a second generation of it.

Reese and Equal I Zer have long been standards in WD and sway control. Moderate cost quite a bit easier to use but very difficult to install correctly. Most system are not set up correctly and thus do not deliver what you had hope for when buying them.

The above mentioned Andersen hitch is the new kid on the block. 1/5 the cost of Hensley. 1/3 the time to hitch up compared to the Reese/ Equal i zer. And a complete rethinking to the concept of WD/sway control.

You are free to pick your poison but after 40 years of towing I am with the new kid.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
neck,

You spared no expense on a new Airstream, don't start cutting corners now.

Go for quality....

Proper set-up is as/more important than brand.

ALL rig's will benefit from a properly set-up WD hitch with sway control.

Don't fall for the myth...."it toes so well, I don't even know it's behind me."

Thats not the goal, the goal is a balanced safe rig that your comfortable with being behind you.

Bob
Wise words, as ever, from Bob.

We use a very simple Eaz-Lift system with friction sway control bars; not the best offering technically speaking but it was set up by a professional and certainly does the job for both WD and sway control. We may upgrade in the future with Hensley or Propride, depends what our towing guru suggests.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Upstate , New York
neck,
congrats on your new AS! I lucked into a 2004 25' Classic with a Reese and 2004 F250 TV. As a newbie I had the PO teach me how to hitch and unhitch. For me it was relatively easy. Just to be sure, I checked the setup with a nearby AS dealer, and local tin can restorer--both assured me it's great.

I'm very pleased with the ease of towing--even in crosswinds and when being passed by semis, I don't feel blown around. She tracks so well I sometimes forget I'm towing. Is it due to the AS, the Reese, or the WD hitch? There are lots of opinions on the subject. I think it's a combination of the three factors, and is also somewhat subjective.

However, most agree that the pro pride and hensley are the best. If I had the money and had to choose I'd be inclined to try them. Since mine came with the Reese and is matched to my truck I went with it and have no regrets or concerns.

Good luck in your quest! Let us know what you decide and why. and please provide pics of your new AS, F250 and whatever hitch you settle on!
Kathy
Old 06-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2009 28' Flying Cloud
Canora , Saskatchewan
Re W/D Hitch

We have a 28' RB Flying Cloud 2009, that we pull with a 2003 F 150. We have used the friction bar setup and found that it was labor intensive to hook and unhook. We then had a Blue Ox with 750 lb equalizer bars installed. We found the Blue Ox a dream to hookup and unhook, 7 mins to do either and does an first class job or weight distribution and anti-sway .We highly recommend this Hitch. Merv M
MervM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:22 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Folks, I have a 25' International with a Hensley Arrow hitch... It's easy to pull, and easy to hitch and unhitch in a moments notice... There are alot of customized options using a well engineered piece of equipment, not to mention the obvious safety benefits. I live in rough, windy territory-- with my family inside and towing a heavy 7,500 rig behind me, I sleep good at night knowing that the trailer and my SUV are working in unison every time hook up... Lifetime Warranty, Trade in Value, plus Excellent, personalized Customer Service at Hensley (and that is alot coming from a pain in the a$$ like me).
towagaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:31 AM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by neck101 View Post
Bob...could not agree with you more, and I will go for quality. So sense you brought it up, what's your suggestion?

Colonial RV says they recommend Reese and Equal-i-zer. Foley RV has used Equal-i-zer and also recommends Blue Ox. These happen to be the 2 dealers I am working with. Problem for me is that w/d hitches are completely new to me, so I don't really know which brand/model/set-up is more quality than the next.

Hence the question about recommendations.
neck,

I got in on this discussion at post six, knowing full well that there would be many specific recommendations to follow. All the hitches mentioned can be configured to work very well with your rig.

In 25 years of Streaming I have used two brands, an old style Reese straight-line, (on a 63 22' Safari and a 25' Classic), two very different trailers, and a Hensley Arrow. Both these hitches worked well on both trailers, the important fact is that they were each set up specifically for each trailer.

The Arrow is a sway elimination hitch, as is the Propride, in my mind, an important fact to consider.

Being that I can only comment from experience on these two, I have to go with the Hensley, surprise, surprise.

Bob
Old 06-15-2012, 05:38 AM   #15
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
We use the Reese w/ dual cam, BUT, if looking today, The Anderson is what I would buy.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:26 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Also... Bob & I forgot to mention--- the Arrow is a Lifetime Hitch... meaning, they will retro-fit your next rig for minimal and or NO COST.... I have friends that have exercised this 'right' with Hensley.... You will find that their objective is for the LONG haul, meaning-- they want you, and everyone you know hearing about the quality standards they have and become #1 in their space... Not too shabby.....
towagaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Neck,

I hesitate to get into this discussion because hitch discussions are like tow vehicle discussions....eveyone believes that what they have is the best, or they wouldn't have it, right?

Anyway, I've been towing travel trailers of one kind or another since 1971, and I've had several WD hitches. I've towed just on the ball, I've towed with the old original Reese Dual Cam hitch, I've towed with the new version of the Reese DC, I've towed with an Eazylift with a friction anti-sway control, I've towed with the Reese single bar WD hitch with friction control, and I now tow with a ProPride.

I can tell you without any doubt, the ProPride is by far the superior hitch of all that I have used. Yes, it is more expensive than the others, but I would say well worth it.

All of the others worked well if they were setup right, and that's a big IF, because in particular the Reese Dual Cam is first difficult to setup right (the new one, the old one not so much), and if not set up perfectly, the anti-sway simply does not work well.

Anyway, hope this is of some help, and did not further confuse the issue.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
If cost is not a consideration ... the PP and HA seem to be the chioce of many. We run an EQ brand comfortably.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
What ever you get (they will all work) Sway control is a key. We have a friction sway control right know. and I left Zion without tightening it down ONCE. After 2 miles in the conners I was wondering why the dang trailer was everywhere. I pulled over and tightened it down. WHAT A DIFFERENCE.. even without wind..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
I have used a few different hitches also and out of the ones I have used I think the Hensley is the best. If I was buying a new hitch with the occasional towing I do now with a 3/4 ton or larger I would get an Anderson with a 1/2 ton or SUV I would probably get a ProPride and if I was towing more I would probably get the ProPride anyway. From what I read everyone that used both Hensley and ProPride and commented about it said that the ProPride is easier to hitch and unhitch. The ProPride has an adjustable stinger (hitch bar) making it easier when you change vehicles Hensley has fixed stingers so you have to pay shipping to get a different drop also many newer TVs have high receivers and require at least a 10" drop with a Hensley or ProPride to get the Airstream level and safe but the max drop Hensley offers is 8".
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote