Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
South Shore , Massachusetts
dans, you didn't say if you fixed the problem?
breton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Pittsburgh , PA
Trailer connector fault on F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by breton View Post
Thanks everyone. I'll replace the trailer connector 1st and if that doesn't work I'll look at the brake connections or have someone that knows what they are doing look at the brakes.
I had a similar problem on a 2017 F150 xlt. I received an intermittent trailer wiring fault on the dash. Stopping and restarting would clear the message but eventually came back. Took it to the dealer who mentioned a service bulletin TSB 18-2106, and they replaced the whole wiring harness and connector under warranty. That was about 1 year ago, and I have not had the problem since.
Bert
Uncle_Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
I had the issue on my 2018 Globetrotter and 2018 Sierra Duramax Diesel, TV. The TV worked fine with my jet ski and boat trailers so I figured the problem was with the GT connection. I saw another post on this and the Airstreams connections is different than most other connections. Others purchased these 2 parts to remedy the problem. I did the same and have had no issues since.

This link should take you to 2 EZ connector parts. The part that connects to the TV has the most common connector to the TV. The other part connects to your Airstream plug. They are held together by a watertight magnet. I also add a Velcro strip around each connection to keep them secure.

https://bradschauf.com/blog/7-way-ad...nector-system/
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:31 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Glen Arbor , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
I had the same thing happen on my 2017 GMC Sierra. It started right after going too fast over a bumpy railroad crossing. After a day and a half of troubleshooting at JD Sanders near Gainesville, it turned out to be something in the trailer brake wiring on the trailer. We tried all the things you mentioned (plus more) first, and then took off each wheel and redid the brake wiring connections. Bam. Problem fixed.
Ditto here.
There have been a number of cases where Airstream did a poor job on the brake wire connections. Two of mine didn’t even have the shrink tube sealed.
Wanna EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:33 PM   #25
Judy&JayConroy, Corvallis

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Corvallis , Oregon
Exclamation Trailer disconnect message

Just happened to us-- 2015 F150, 2013 25 RB FC. Last day of a wonderful 10 day SW Oregon Caravan. Had just had the plug replaced a month earlier; new one had wires attached with crimper that left a bad attachment in the plug.

The F150'a 'disconnect' signal was not 'false.' Problem was with the bad connection on the wire that controlled trailer brakes (and thus also the brake assist)(all the lights and turn signals worked fine). If we had ignored the 'disconnect' signal, we would have been trailering w/o trailer brakes, potential disaster just around the corner!!

Best part of the story-- a group of fellow AS'ers worked with me in the rain (holding umbrella, guiding small screws on plug, general advice, and more) to reattach cord to plug with good crimp work. Drove safely home on OR 101 in driving rainstorm, thanks to brakes that worked because of these good Caravan'ers. Thank you Jim, Dan, Bill and Dan.
jconroy452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:52 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Huntington Beach , California
Have the same issue loose connection between the plug and the socket. Used a mini bungee to hold them together. That worked but I dropped it off at Airstream dealer with that among a bunch of other minor issues on our 2018 27 fit. BTW tow vehicle is a 2018 Ram
Donamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:11 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Box Elder , South Dakota
We have a brand new F-350 and brand new AS 33 Classic and had this issue almost immediately. The AS dealer in Albuquerque NM told us this is a well know issue with Fords because Fords connector is too short. We ended up getting a large velcro cable tie that can easily be reused and that has helped but does not eliminate the problem entirely.
spotted_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Again, has anyone found a great "plug and play" replacment set up for their F250/350 and the AS? Would love to know a good solution without replacing a harness if there is one..
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Intermittent Trailer Disconnected Message

Look at EZconnectors. They replace the problem prone 7 way flat pin connectors with a magnetic one that mates solidly. You can go with adapters or replace the TV end at the short harness plug under the rear end with a plug and play replacement.

I’m using adapters right now. Installed them on thoroughly cleaned plugs and receptacles with tie wraps to keep them in place. All it takes to make a solid connection is line it up and let the magnets grab on. No more disconnect indications on my aftermarket brake controller now.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:35 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
South Shore , Massachusetts
Thanks everyone for your input

Changed both trailer and truck connection - same issue. Went back to the Ford dealer a 2nd time. They couldn't resolve it.
Someone on the forum suggested changing the setting on my truck brake settings for the trailer from "electric" to "electric over hydraulic". That seemed to work. I let the dealer know there might be a Ford software glitch that needs to be fixed so the truck will recognize a single axle electric trailer.
breton is offline   Reply With Quote