Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
cave city , Kentucky
What kind of Television?

What kind of TV do I need to get? I mean will any TV do? Where to buy? I'd like a flat screen, but will it have to be heavy duty? Will the thing vibrate apart from the pounding of travel? I hope it stays in better shape then me. At my age, if I were a TV, I'd be a radio. By the way, there's never any thing worth watching on TV anyway is there?
unit13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Well, it could be as simple as,
  1. pick a convenient spot for the TV, where it can easily get power and signal
  2. Measure the largest TV that will fit in that spot (don't forget that TV screen sizes are still measured diagonally)
  3. Buy a TV, and one of the new mounts they will need
  4. Mount it, plug it in, fuss and fume about how there's nothing on!

Recommend to get one with a name brand you've heard of, buy it one of those credit cards that doubles your warrantee.

For off-air (not satellite), you'll need one of those forty-dollar boxes to make it work with your TV.

For satellite, you will need the patience of Job to set up the antenna, OR, be willing to fork over the big $$ to get one that seeks the satellites out automatically.

News and weather is what I like on them, plus DVDs I have made up of old movies recorded off-air.

ps: we just have a little 19" LCD bought for $169 2 years ago, that sits on the old swiveling wall bracket for a tube-style TV. When we travel, we put it to bed (in the bed, between the blankets), and never a problem...
Old 06-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1990 36' Land Yacht
Dearborn Heights , Michigan
did canada go to a different digital Tv format than the U.S. ? used to be able to get chanel 9 (Windsor) but it disapeared can't pick it up with a digital or analog receiver. About the converter box, Tv sets sold in the US since about '05 are supposed to be digital and shouldn't need a converter for broadcast tv
Old 06-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post

For off-air (not satellite), you'll need one of those forty-dollar boxes to make it work with your TV.

If you are going to buy a new TV, you should buy one that doesn't need one of the boxes. All but the very obscure (off brand) new TVs have an ATSC tuner that receives digital signals.

New in this case means something manufactured recently, not something that has been sitting around stores or warehouses for years but has never been sold. I've recently seen displays of old Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) TVs in WalMart or Fred's for very low prices. You couldn't pay me to haul one to the dump.

Only part of Aage's post I have any issue with. Lots of good advice in his post.

Personally, I would recommend a true 1080p HDTV. They're available as small as 22" now. 720p is cheaper but, contrary to what people selling 720p sets say, you really can see the difference even in the small screens. Maybe not if you sit a long way away, but with a small screen you're going to be sitting close. Just like computer monitors, sharper is better. The 22" monitor on my new computer at work is 1920 x 1080 resolution which is exactly the dimensions of 1080p. The 1080p TVs make great monitors too.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFixit View Post
did canada go to a different digital Tv format than the U.S. ? used to be able to get chanel 9 (Windsor) but it disapeared can't pick it up with a digital or analog receiver. About the converter box, Tv sets sold in the US since about '05 are supposed to be digital and shouldn't need a converter for broadcast tv
This any good to you MrFixit?

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
This any good to you MrFixit?
Oops! forgot the link:

CBET-TV Channel 9 Windsor, ON - Michiguide.com Dials (TV)

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFixit View Post
I'm not sure it answers your question, but here's some info on the change over to digital here in the Great White North:

Canadian over-the-air TV following U.S. down digital path - Canada - CBC News
Mrs. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
If you are going to buy a new TV, you should buy one that doesn't need one of the boxes. All but the very obscure (off brand) new TVs have an ATSC tuner that receives digital signals.

New in this case means something manufactured recently, not something that has been sitting around stores or warehouses for years but has never been sold. I've recently seen displays of old Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) TVs in WalMart or Fred's for very low prices. You couldn't pay me to haul one to the dump.

Only part of Aage's post I have any issue with. Lots of good advice in his post.
Thanks for pointing that out, Vaughn, I was only going by what I had heard from my brother in Georgia.

We have yet to convert off-air to digital, but it's coming this fall, according to an ad the runs regularly here.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post

We have yet to convert off-air to digital, but it's coming this fall, according to an ad the runs regularly here.
You'll love it when you get used to it. The difference in image quality is huge. Lo-def TV is like going back to a 640 x 480 monitor on your computer.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Would recommend a LCD with LED backlighting.They are thinner, lighter, and put out less heat. We just bought a 24" Viore with built in DVD player to replace the stock 18" Toshiba. It runs on 12v or 120v.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
I'm with Ahab...LED is the way to go. Uses less juice and is much lighter. Anyone ever load up their DVR with recordings prior to departure and just use that as their entertainment container?
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
We bought a 22" LG LCD flat screen 3 years ago. It mounts onto swing out arms on the bedroom side of the bed room/galley devider. It can be viewed from the bedroom or the front of the coach. However, to minimize damage when traveling it very easily detaches and 'rides' under the bedspread and blanket on the bed. The tv also doubles as our home's bedroom tv.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
As to LCD vs. Plasma, I would agree that an LCD makes more sense, since the single advantage of them is that they are better in daylight as far as "washout". Plasma needs a darker room for a satisfactory image.

In any event, I have yet to see a Plasma of less than 32", and I rarely see even that size in a TT, so it could be a moot point.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #14

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've got an LG LCD that I carry with me. I've heard that extreme cold is not good for LCD's so I typically bring it in when I go into winter storage. I keep the TV in it's original shipping box when traveling (safely wedged between the bed and outer wall) and set it up on a cabinet above the fridge where the TV hookups are located. I'm not sure if the TV's that Airstream mounts are any more sturdy and temperature tolerant than mine is.

While I love digital TV, the real pain is finding the stations. Since our antennas are not omni directional, pointing the antenna in the wrong direction can obviously affect the number of channels available.

I notice that Wingard is now selling a sensing device that allows you to find TV signals without using the TV. Has anyone sprung for one of these yet???

SensarPro RFL-342 TV Signal Strength Meter

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
I use my Dell Studio 1747 Laptop which has a 17.3" LCD, LED back-lit screen and an external TV tuner (which I had from a previous computer, the Dell 1747 supports an internal TV tuner) attached to my Dish Network receiver to view TV. The 17.3" LED (variable intensity) screen is quite acceptable and the Laptop allows for compact stowage when not in use.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #16
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I would just add that if buying a new TV, get one that is AC/DC, such as Jensen which is made for RVs. Having the 12 volt allows you to watch with out hookups or a generator. You can also look for a home TV which has the power conversion box on the AC cord. It converts the 110v to a 12-18v current DC. Then all you need is a variable 12v converter that plugs into the 12v outlet next to where most TV connections are located.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I would go LCD. I have a 17" Polaroid (not sure what is up with that!)

Mine has the internal digital tuner and will run off 12vdc (had to fabricate my own cord).

We mainly use ours to watch DVD/VHS, not too much worth watching on broadcast television anymore. One of these days I might get around to hooking it up to the computer to use as a monitor...but then again maybe not.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote