Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2009, 02:08 PM   #121
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Hello Argos
I often return to this thread when I have a puzzle regarding Argosy. I just read Kevin's overview back near begin of thread. But lo I did not find the model years which Argosy existed or I should say were built.
First and second generation please. And mohos seperate.
Also years of Minuets.

I just read that certain '80 Caravels used "narrower" Argosy frames.
Would this have to be Minuet frames? Or was there a known difference in the chasis and running gear of the full Argosy TTs of 1st gen?
Any other date certain info would be a great addition to Kevin's overviews.

Lastly would one of you go to this post and verify if you know please? It concers a 1981 Excella II. And it being "Minuet like"
>>HERE>>>http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...57&postcount=8

thanks
drummer

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #122
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hey DD - I'm going to hope that Kevin checks back here as he is the known authority on the Argosy/and Minuet lines of Airstream. I can tell you that he has mentioned in other posts that the Minuet was only manufactured from 1977 thru 1979. I don't know about other AS trailers width - was only aware that Minuets were less wide that the regular Argosy. I guess I love our Minuet so much, I never check out any other info on the other AS's (unless it relates to the Minuet. Sorry!)

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #123
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Mont-Laurier , Québec
Here is where mine is located...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78 View Post
Hi Guys~ thanks for the quick response

Does anyone happen to have a picture of the spare tire mount on the front of your trailer? Rich said he could fashion one for us if we want - I have the next couple weeks to decide (well, actually maybe only this next week since he needs time to make it), but I would like to have some idea of what it might look like as a guide. The idea that the tire might just sit there wedged is intriguing too altho not sure I want to chance it bouncing off while traveling and creating a hazzard

Also, if anyone has the EZ lube can you give me comments yea or no way!
Here is where mine is located... See picture...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	80261  
adore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Calling on all Argosy Minuet Owners

Greetings Drummer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
Hello Argos
I often return to this thread when I have a puzzle regarding Argosy. I just read Kevin's overview back near begin of thread. But lo I did not find the model years which Argosy existed or I should say were built.
First and second generation please. And mohos seperate.
Also years of Minuets.
  • First Generation Argosy began production in 1972 and continued through 1979.
  • Minuets were introduced in 1977, and during that model year there were both standard 20 foot Argosy coaches produced as well as the 6.0 Metre Minuet. It is not clear by the data that I have precisely when the 6.7 and 7.3 Minuets were introduced.
  • I don't have the precise dates for the Motorhomes nor the second generation coaches.
Quote:
I just read that certain '80 Caravels used "narrower" Argosy frames.
Would this have to be Minuet frames? Or was there a known difference in the chasis and running gear of the full Argosy TTs of 1st gen?
Any other date certain info would be a great addition to Kevin's overviews.
There has been a tremendous amount of speculation regarding the 1980 Caravelles. They we 7.0' like the Minuets and were offered in the same three floorplans with the only marked difference being that the 22' (6.7 Metre) Caravelle was a tandem axle if my notes are correct. Whether this was done to utilize inventoried (or contracted) frames for the discontinued Minuets hasn't been confirmed or denied so far as I am aware. I have seen both the 20' and 24' Caravelles, and the floorplan is essentially the same as the similar sized Minuets.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:24 PM   #125
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hey Adore - thanks for the pic! It looks like you cut out a portion of the aluminum under your Argosy. Did you fashion something above the spare so that mice, critters don't get in? We have had trouble w/the little meeses and dont want any place where they might decide to jump in.

I was looking for a pic of the front of our Moonunit & will try to post so you all can see our set up. There are some rubber like tubes (my husband told me what they are, but I forget) attached to the front right where we might mount. I'm guessing we could move them - but might like it if others can give their thoughts?

Also, I am following a thread called "Cooper Custom Trailer Plus tires" because we are looking for either a spare or new tires for trailer w/old tires as spares. Would be interested if anyone has ideas about what is on that thread or ideas about tires in general. We put Marathons on her back 5yrs ago and no problems, but hear they are now made in China and not so good????

This place is THE BEST for getting great info for our trailers - I so appreciate everyone!

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 05-15-2009, 04:33 PM   #126
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Moonunit front

I hope my pic will show up here so you all can see those hoses.

http://www.airforums.com/attachments...gosy_3-med.jpg

Old 05-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #127
2 Rivet Member

SPOTSYLVANIA , Virginia
new member-77 Argosy 6.0 minuet

My son bought it for $2500 and I'm fixing it up for him. When I finish, I will own at least half-lol. So far new converter, two tires and wheels, new drapes and clips, new mattresses, new beds, replace part of floor up front, new tile floor, new water lines all the way to the kitchen sink, new fan vent, new thin lite, new AC compressor, new LP tanks, regulator and hoses. So far water pump, stove, furnace and hot water heater work. Frig will do nothing but don't care. Son wanted this for sleeping when he goes on hunting and fishing trips and I will use it for blue grass concerts. Two sets of bunks that will sleep 5. 3-30' BEDS AND ONE 48". We found we only come inside to sleep-cook, eat, relax and party outside. It is really turned out nice. We have a 10 x 10 tent also. Going on a Bluegrass shake down cruise May 27 at Graves Mt. for 5 days-can't wait. Will paint when we get it back home. Seems as though we found a model much sought after huh? Stewart in Va.
vcu70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #128
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
vcu

Pictures please!!!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:57 AM   #129
Rivet Master

Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
...I talked to Rich (our installer) yesterday & he said our original axle was put on w/22.5 degree UP!! which, even when new, would have made her lower than most??? We too are wanting to make sure of clearance on dirt roads, altho I doubt we will take her on logging or real rough roads as you are contemplating. We went w/what most have indicated, the 22.5 degree down putting her about 4" higher than she is now. Hope that does the trick....
Great news! An extra 4 inches of clearance would be welcome for sure. I am eager to see the results. New axle will have to wait until next year for us or maybe this fall after time to winterize. I did get the counter top replaced this spring but didn't have time to replace the cabinetry below the counter that will need to wait another year or two. Lots of little things to be done as we go.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #130
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
VCU welcome - I ditto the request for some pics....and Loudruff. I wouldn't mind seeing the inside of your 6.7metre.

Hi Royce, I'm really happy to have the trailer w/Rich & hope to get some pics posted there @ his site. We will be heading out for Lake Isabel (west of Pueblo) from there to try her out for a few days. PS, saw your nice addition under "Minuet" post, really nice. I will definately be posting the axle results here later.

Wondering if anyone had thoughts on a couple things I posted earlier.
1. Did my pic of the front of Moonunit work so that you could see the tubes attached on the front of her? Do those look to be movable? (not sure where we could do that) so that a spare tire could be mounted in that spot?
2. In another post I talked about what tire to buy. Wondered if any of you are familiar w/the Akuret, supposedly made by Cooper tire? but sold by National under Del-Nat.com.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #131
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Calling on all Argosy Minuet Owners

Greetings Leigh!

Quote:
1. Did my pic of the front of Moonunit work so that you could see the tubes attached on the front of her? Do those look to be movable? (not sure where we could do that) so that a spare tire could be mounted in that spot?
In looking at your photo, the only tubes that I see are what I believe to be the LP supply tubes going to the LP gas regulator. This regulator/tank carrier bracket can be repositioned on the hitch if necessary to add a little extra room for the spare tire mount. If your Minuet is like mine there is a flexible supply line that runs from the LP regulator to the main coach supply -- on my coach it runs along the bottom of the hitch A-frame to the underbelly distribution manifold.

Quote:
2. In another post I talked about what tire to buy. Wondered if any of you are familiar w/the Akuret, supposedly made by Cooper tire? but sold by National under Del-Nat.com.
I haven't had experience with the tire that you mention, however, I did just purchase new tires for my Overlander. I spent the better part of a day telephoning what seemed to be every tire dealer within 200 miles of my house looking for trailer tires with a brand that I recognized. I finally contacted my Carlisle tire retailer -- he was able to order Carlisle Radial Trail ST tires from his suppliers warehouse. I must admit that I haven't examined the tires closely enough to find the manufacturing location for these tires, but they do carry the Carlisle brand name -- it was a case of the only recognizable brand name from any of the shops that I contacted in a three county area. I can't say precisely why, but these tires do seem to run a bit larger (given the same size designation) than the Marathons as they wre a much tighter squeeze in my Overlander's wheelwells than the Marathons that they replaced (my Good Year dealer told me that it could be months before he could get a set of Marathons as there was a back order for them at the factory).

Good luck with your projects!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:24 AM   #132
2 Rivet Member

SPOTSYLVANIA , Virginia
need to finish, remove tools etc and clean before pics-won't be long though
vcu70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:18 PM   #133
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hi Kevin - thanks for your reply and help. I will discuss w/Rich when we go to get trailer.

vcu70 - can't wait!!!!

I went to the Del-Nat website & found this link for the Akuret. I am going to see about e-mailing them for some additional info. The wholesaler here has some and they are reasonably priced. I understand Cooper tires are made in the US. I would assume this tire, if manufactured by Cooper, would be the same. Will post more when I know, but if anyone else knows something, also post here, please. You can use this link to check them out if you want.

http://www.nationaltire.com/img.asp?..._ST_Radial.jpg

Found out something else interesting. Our original axle (Henshen) is a 3500 axle weight with 10" brakes. Our trailer is rated GVRW 3800. I was very confused and a bit concerned when reading some of the axle info on these forums about Henshen axles because many posts state that Henshen always put on an axle rated specifically for the trailer it went on and that all axles were a bit higher rated so as to leave room for extra weight. Also, that Henshen always included 12" brakes!!! I couldn't figure out why our GVRW 3800 weighted trailer had a 3500 axle???? Especially when the posts I have read say you should have a little leeway for extra weight.

Rich explained to me that the tongue (w/propane tanks) weighs about 300lbs, so if you take that away (it's not sitting on the axle) it leaves 3500. Rich is taking our trailer to be weighed at the co-op close to him. That will give us a very good idea of what, if anything we can add as additional weight to the trailer. We have no AC, which we might want, and want to add the spare. Plus, if we carry water, phewww, it can start to add up. Anyway, I wondered if anyone else has found when they change out their axle that the old axle was rated under the GVRW to take into account the hitch/tongue? Also interesting, our manual says we can carry 824 additional lbs. BUT the 6.0metre can carry 945 addit. lbs!. Must be that the 6.0 has the same axle but weighs less, so has that extra leeway. Lucky for you 6.0 owners (more room for the beer!!!!!)

Well, enough of my rambling.....

Old 05-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #134
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
The 6.0 Minuets had a 3000# axle and GVW of 3500#. Hmmmm! Upgrading to a 3500# axle with more drop to the arms constitutes a big advantage IMHO.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #135
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Thumbs up New Axle at last!!

We came home yesterday from a lovely trip!! Left last Saturday, the 6th, to pick up our trailer w/her NEW axle. We had also purchased new Maxxis M8008 tires & a spare wheel. Planned to put those on before we made our way to our campsite-but ran out of time. If you are needing an axle replacement, and are close to Fowler, Colorado (SE part of state), I highly recommend Rich w/T&R trailer. Most helpful & our Moonunit looks great
I will try to post some pics here later, as well as add to our pics in the members forum. We ended up w/3500# axle w 22.5 drop angle. No Easy-lube, but did re-weld shock absorbers. I wonder what the reason is behind that? Anyone know why we keep the original shock absorbers? Do they serve a purpose?

I'm going to add a different post re: our trip/campsites/siteseeing & pics.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #136
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Old Thread from 2004

Quote:
Here is link to another similar Argosy Owners Thread

Argosy owners thread
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...nite-8726.html

[ http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...nite-8726.html ]

Maybe one of the moderators could push this up to the start of this thread.

And within that other thread is a link (dead) to another off-forum Argosy site. Does anyone remember it? Anyone know what became of it?
Seems it wasmentioned and linked in one of the first few posts .

The only problem with this is that this thread was started in 2004 - lots of things might have changed with the exception that Kevin Allen is much more knowledgeable about Argosy's than he was back then!!

Towed by 2016 Ford F-150
Tin Can Tourist
TAC #GA-27
AIR #34930
KAYAKAMPERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #137
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Hello Leigh & everyone else!
I haven't been on the forum for a month or so because I was out of town, but I'll now post to her query!

We have a 1978 22' 6.7 Metre Argosy located in Atlanta, Georgia. It's great!! It has a front gaucho and the side gaucho. It wasn't in bad shape when we bought it, but just had to destink it from the previous owners. They put in lots of vinyl to cover up what they considered ugly original fabric (which we love). I think they used lots of that orange cleaner because it took forever to get some smells out. Mandatory things we had to do were:
Get gas lines opened up
fix water leaks
install new range/oven
install new intellivolt (however you spell that) after the old one fried a good battery
installed new battery
installed new furnace (old one missing)
Took out Aquamagic V toilet and put in old short toilet a WBCCI friend gave us
Cleaned and serviced original airconditioner, but don't need a new one yet
Installed new radio antenna and fixed hole where the other was ripped off
installed new radio with an IPod connection
Bought new spare tire
installed new rub guards (whatever they are called - orange striping)
There's probably more, but Chris isn't here to tell me!

Of course, we did lots of cleanup and little touchups, but that would be standard on any camper.

We've camped in it quite a bit already and are looking forward to a longer trip.

I've looked through every post so far on this posting and I only see that 4 of us are WBCCI members. Is there a reason ya'll haven't joined?
We've also joined the VAC and hope to do some of the vintage campouts.

Beth & Chris

Towed by 2016 Ford F-150
Tin Can Tourist
TAC #GA-27
AIR #34930
Old 06-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #138
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Arrow stuff about stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYAKAMPERS View Post
The only problem with this is that this thread was started in 2004 - lots of things might have changed with the exception that Kevin Allen is much more knowledgeable about Argosy's than he was back then!!
Hello Beth & Chris,
Sure a few things change, but never discount the value of old threads. My bet would be that of the tons & tons of material on these forums, only a few pounds have become obsolete because of time.
Granted there is alot of BS in these forums that was inane to begin with or worse, just downright wrong. But all in all the old stuff is mighty relevant especially since most of it is about.... old stuff. Like vintage Airstream & Argosy trailers.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:38 AM   #139
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Misunderstood my Comment

Quote:
Sure a few things change, but never discount the value of old threads. My bet would be that of the tons & tons of material on these forums, only a few pounds have become obsolete because of time.
Granted there is alot of BS in these forums that was inane to begin with or worse, just downright wrong. But all in all the old stuff is mighty relevant especially since most of it is about.... old stuff. Like vintage Airstream & Argosy trailers.
I think I was misunderstood. I always have looked through old threads because that information is still good. What I meant was that some owners may have changed since that was one of the reasons this thread began (to find them). Also, some of the OEM parts that WERE available have now been bought up - I got a few of the last plastic bedrail thingys earlier this year that Leigh was looking for but again, the info on where things were bought helps all of us out.

Towed by 2016 Ford F-150
Tin Can Tourist
TAC #GA-27
AIR #34930
Old 06-22-2009, 05:06 PM   #140
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hi Beth - thanks for posting...I guess you saw my message in your profile?
Nice to have another 6.7metre join in the fun. Are you going to add some pics in the photo area of all you have done to your trailer? I love to look at the different way AS owners (& especially Minuet owners) have fixed up their trailers. So many ideas.

I hope this post will help Minuet owners w/stuff related to the Minuet. Alot has come out just in the few pages we have so far. I'm still wrestling w/where to put our spare tire/wheel. I noticed in your profile pic that it looks like you have something mounted on the rear. Does that interfere w/the bumper...since many of the hoses, electric cable, etc are stored inside the bumper, we have hesitated to put anything above it for fear it will get in the way. Does it work for you?
We got some of those nylon endcaps for the side gaucho. Such a help, now the bed slides much better.

I'm changing colors cause this question is for anyone. Wondered if any out there know the reason for keeping the shock absorbers when you change out the axle? I remember reading on earlier forums posts that if shock absorbers were kept, they would have to be re-welded to new axle. That is what was done on ours, but we have never known the reason why?