Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2006, 06:37 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
6 Metre sewage outlet

The sewage outlet on my 6 Metre hangs down below the frame in an arrangement I don't think is stock, but I have no pictures of other units to tell if someone has modified this or if it is pretty standard. It looks like the best mount would be to come out of the belly pan straight down, just far enough to mount the cap. Has anyone pics of the stock sewage mount on these little Minuets? I know this is not the usual picture area.http://www.airforums.com/forum...es/redface.gif
Attached Images

Argonaut20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
I'll have to go to the storage area and take a look at my '78 Argosy Minuet 6.7 metre. From what I can tell seeing your picture, it looks like it IS stock from factory.
Kev
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
6 Metre sewage outlet

Greetings Argonaut20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut20
The sewage outlet on my 6 Metre hangs down below the frame in an arrangement I don't think is stock, but I have no pictures of other units to tell if someone has modified this or if it is pretty standard. It looks like the best mount would be to come out of the belly pan straight down, just far enough to mount the cap. Has anyone pics of the stock sewage mount on these little Minuets? I know this is not the usual picture area.http://www.airforums.com/forum...es/redface.gif
I am in agreement with you about the originality of your coach's current sewage outlet. On my '78 6.0 Metre, the outlet exits next to the streetside frame rail pointing directly down at the ground -- the cap protrudes less than an inch below the bottom of the frame rail -- even with that minimal protrusion, it has been damaged three times in the time that I have owned the coach when entering or exiting commercial establishments such as gas stations and supermarkets.

I don't have a clear photo of the drain arrangement on my coach, and it is almost 300 miles from my current location.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
As an aside, I just finished replacing the water pressure regulator and check valve to the city water supply. Other than the fact that the water system hadn't been used in years, a spider had made its way into the check valve, spun a web, and kept the check valve from closing. As for the regulator, it was DOA. Moral to the story is to keep the city water connection capped when not in use unless you like working on plumbing in REAL tight spaces.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Quote:
My 1977 Minuet does not have the same arrangement as yours. I have seen several 6 Metre' Minuets but all of them were 1977 vintage. All of them looked like mine.
Mine is tucked up under the frame rail extension. The same rail that yours hangs completely below. Mine is also angled at about 22.5 degrees downward to allow for the placement of the sewer hose. This is because mine is tucked like it is. I will gladly take some pictures of mine for you tomorrow if you would like. I like mine because there really is no way of it getting smacked when the trailer is coming out of a dip like Kevin describes. I know what those are like and you always fret when you go over one like that.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I would appreciate photos. It looks like I have that 22.5 degree ell down, but then someone stuffed another ell into it to bring it down to its present position. Any way to cut the second ell off, clean out the connection, and glue a piece on to hold the cap? Otherwise, I am going to have to live lucky until I can get under there and change the whole manifold just to get a decent sewage outlet.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

By the way...
Contrary to some information being given by some dealers the replacement dump valves are still made by Thetford.
The dump valves can be ordered and I may still have to Thetford catalog number for them. They also sell a gasket kit to replace all of the old rubber gaskets.
I called Thetford directly and they informed me that the suggested retail of these valves was right around $29 each.
I bought mine from a dealer that convinced me that they were no longer made and the he was one of the few that actually still had them. I paid FAR more for them then the MSRP.
I have since found out that my local SOB dealership will order them for me and I would only have to pay MSRP.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
To cap off the thread, I replaced the blackwater valve, built a box from aluminum to replace the plastic box a PO had destroyed to make the rather vulnerable set up shown in the first post, and have the outlet completely above the frame. It requires a reach to attach the hose and needs a 45 degree down fitting, but I am the only person who has to worry about that. I believe the bottoming out on the pipe that "protected" the waste outlet was very bad for the trailer, though there aren't a lot of popped rivets. There are cracks, however.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
To cap off the thread, I replaced the blackwater valve, built a box from aluminum to replace the plastic box a PO had destroyed to make the rather vulnerable set up shown in the first post, and have the outlet completely above the frame. It requires a reach to attach the hose and needs a 45 degree down fitting, but I am the only person who has to worry about that. I believe the bottoming out on the pipe that "protected" the waste outlet was very bad for the trailer, though there aren't a lot of popped rivets. There are cracks, however.
Holy cow! Mine has that set-up and it is original. I too have a 45 degree angle to hook up my sewer hose.
Mine is tucked WAY up under the frame. Only a small portion can be seen without actually crawling under the trailer and looking right at it.
I am glad you got it fixed. Sorry I was little help. I have been pretty busy lately.