Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Ferndale , Washington
Shower faucet repacement

On a 1978 Argosy 6 metre Minuet, does anyone have an idea how to replace the shower faucet without having to dismantle the entire shower surround? As always, any help is appreciated.
gergstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Nope. The mount for the faucet has to come loose from the back wall to get at it. Take the covers off the bands that hide the rivets, drill out the rivets, cut any sealant that holds the panel on, and it should come off all of a piece. The panel isn't attached to the lavatory, except maybe with sealant, so no extra work there. Next, you have to find a replacement that will fit after you put the pipe fittings on. One choice is to buy the brass body Phoenix shower valve because the supply stubbs are shorter than those on the plastic body valves. You have to get lock nuts for 1/2 inch pipe, nuts for 1/2 inch conduit, or old mounting washers and nuts from the lavatory faucet (You did want to replace that, didn't you?) in order to screw the ells on to connect the water. You can't use the plastic nuts supplied because they are so thick the pipe fittings won't screw down enough to seal. I used Watts push on fittings from Lowes to connect the water to the faucet, but Flair-it will likely work as well. The real problem is that there seems to be very little room in back of that faucet.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:23 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Ferndale , Washington
I do want to replace the lavatory faucet too, but not until I find a replacement for the cracked lavatory sink which appears to have been made out of vacuum formed plasctic.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I haven't solved that one yet. My best thought so far has been to get a 9" round stainless sink and have a base made for it the same size as the current sink. I did some patching on one sink I have with Plastic Weld and with an epoxy to build up the weak spots in the lavatory. This fix lasted for two straight weeks of use and is still OK. I could paint it and it wouldn't look too bad, but it is still subject to cracks. Getting that wash basin off is not too bad unless you run into a screw placed where you absolutely can't get at it except to cut it with a hacksaw blade. Just be sure to save the mounting nuts for the faucet to use with your new shower faucet.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:41 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Ferndale , Washington
Thanks for the input Argonaut, the stainless steel sink idea sounds like a good one.