Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream "In the News"
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #141
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
fascinating to see this thread, I had seen the Orvis ad for the trailer auction... and sort of imagined that it could go for 100k. I wondered about the quality of the materials and more importantly, the work underneath, the infrastructure of the trailer. If it was done to flip in a high profile auction, they might have not gone crazy with high quality bits. I am curious about the copper end cap, and how they kept it separate from the aluminum- I think there is a di-electric issue, and the aluminum suffers? It's always something..
Old 12-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #142
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Similar trailers of this caliber without the Orvis name do not command such a price. The Orvis name is the difference, therefor, that is what contributes to the inflated cost.
If you study economics then you have to admit that branding, marketing and hype can inflate prices (which of course have nothing to do with the labor or material). Orvis may not have a premium name in fishing, but it certainly has a premium name in high end yuppy clothing:-)

Look people, the trailer is a beautiful piece of work, I'm saying otherwise, but it's simply naive to actually think that the name has nothing to do with the price this thing is commanding. The name may not have EVERYTHING to do with it, but it certainly adds to the equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashSilver View Post
I have to disagree about the Orvis name adding something to the price of a trailer. Orvis isn't even a premium name in fishing (as is Sage, Winston, Hatch) and has no reputation in the trailer business. The name Timeless is another story as they have a reputation for both quality and design, a rare feat. I don't know how much input Orvis had in the design, but I suspect very little, beyond saying they wanted something that looked like a traditional fishing shack. As a fly fisherman who owns an AS primarily to camp near his favorite streams, I am more than impressed with the job Timeless did in the whale tail.

As a former Economics major, I must take issue with the comparison of the projected price with the cost of materials and labor. In a capitalist system, price and cost are unrelated. The price of a good is determined by what the market will bear. Remember, supply and demand is not just a good idea, it's the Law. Given that this trailer is unique and very attractive, the demand far exceeds the supply (of one), thus mandating a very high price. I know, capitalism is a bitch but it's the best we have. If this trailer was mass produced, the demand would remain the same (or even decrease as the uniqueness fades ) while the supply is increased driving the price down to its marginal (not actual) cost.

In other words, this trailer is worth a lot of money and will get it. It is the Law.
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #143
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
The Orvis name means nothing to me.....

But Timeless Travel Trailers does. I know about Timeless' excellent reputation and what their work costs. So I am not surprised at the over $100k price. I suspect there are others like us out there that have had conversations with or considered having work done by Timeless. If you have questions about what exactly they have done, they will tell you. And that is important....without a solid base, the rest is meaningless IMHO. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #144
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I second that...it's all based on perception and not with reality. Orvis is a well known brand that is perceived to equate quality.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #145
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
I accept your word for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I second that...it's all based on perception and not with reality. Orvis is a well known brand that is perceived to equate quality.

If that is the case, it makes for a good match.....which I am sure both Orvis and Timeless thought about that from the start......so now I may be inclined to check out Orvis in the future.....and you are right, perception may or not have much to do with reality......paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 12-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #146
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Doesn't the money go to a charity? I have a vague memory of that. Auctions where the money goes to charity often get better bids than the same item would otherwise do.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #147
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I've done several promotions combining different national companies and this one is a home run. Orvis and Airstream are both iconic brands with great name recognition whether or not you're a flyfisherman or an RV'er. They complement each other and the added value is a two way street. The Orvis edition of the Grand Cherokee made sense and benefited both companies. The fact that there have been over a 100 posts on this issue has not gone unnoticed at Orvis, Airstream and Timeless.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #148
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
I've done several promotions combining different national companies and this one is a home run. Orvis and Airstream are both iconic brands with great name recognition whether or not you're a flyfisherman or an RV'er. They complement each other and the added value is a two way street. The Orvis edition of the Grand Cherokee made sense and benefited both companies. The fact that there have been over a 100 posts on this issue has not gone unnoticed at Orvis, Airstream and Timeless.
Very true, that's what a lot of this is about, brand recognition. It would be hard to argue that anyone does a better job then Timeless in their field of work.... Orvis on the other hand is mainly about hype, sorry to stir the pot again here, but their stuff is over priced, period, example:
Anyone who's worked under a trailer knows that these pair of Carhartts at $64 Carhartt - Product - Cordura® Front Work Dungaree
are as good and probably better to the similar pair of Orvis pants for $214 (down from $275): Mens Twill Work Pants / Rising Sun Miner's Pants -- Orvis
People pay the Orvis price so they can have the little tag that says Orvis...
Not to mention Orvis makes some of their stuff in China... Orvis Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock Reels : Questions, Answers, How To, FAQs, Tips, Advice, Answers, Buying Guide
At least the Airstream and Timeless are all American.
It's great that it goes to charity.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:50 PM   #149
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Look at all the free advertising they have here on the forums. That alone is worth the selling price in their eyes. Orvis is in the search function here too if anyone can figure out how to use it.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:34 PM   #150
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Similar trailers can and do cost this much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
Similar trailers of this caliber without the Orvis name do not command such a price. The Orvis name is the difference, therefor, that is what contributes to the inflated cost.
If you study economics then you have to admit that branding, marketing and hype can inflate prices (which of course have noting. The name may not have EVERYTHING to do with it, but it certainly adds to the equation.
When you take a vintage trailer apart and rebuild everything, it can cost $100,000 or more. It is a custom job, not an assembly line product (and I am not knocking our made in America Airstream assembly line trailers either). It is a one of a kind and I am sure someone is going to be a very happy owner. No one else is going to have one like it and some people think it is worth it. It is worth quite simply what someone is willing to pay. The proof is in the bidding. P
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 12-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #151
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
[QUOTE=SteSpot;1081790]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
If you study economics then you have to admit that branding, marketing and hype can inflate prices (which of course have noting. The name may not have EVERYTHING to do with it, but it certainly adds to the equation.[/Quote

When you take a vintage trailer apart and rebuild everything, it can cost $100,000 or more. It is a custom job, not an assembly line product (and I am not knocking our made in America Airstream assembly line trailers either). It is a one of a kind and I am sure someone is going to be a very happy owner. No one else is going to have one like it and some people think it is worth it. It is worth quite simply what someone is willing to pay. The proof is in the bidding. P

Depends on who rebuilds everything. If the company overcharges for hourly work (like REALLY overcharges) then yes, it could be 100K, could even be 500K if they rate their hourly wage as such... is that reasonable? No.

Look, it doesn't take anything away from the trailer to admit that a portion of the crazy bids this thing is getting is because of the Orvis name, it's still an amazing piece of work, albeit inflated because of said name.

Of course it's worth what someone will pay... monetarily speaking, and that's great, it goes to charity.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:38 AM   #152
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Everyone is blown away by this $100k mark. Airstream has models selling for $100k+.

... and just for the record; Trailer guys wear these jeans. They hide the aluminum oxide better than the brown dungerees and because the material is slightly thicker it makes laying on the ground easier during the winter months.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:46 AM   #153
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Everyone is blown away by this $100k mark. Airstream has models selling for $100k+.

... and just for the record; Trailer guys wear these jeans. They hide the aluminum oxide better than the brown dungerees and because the material is slightly thicker it makes laying on the ground easier during the winter months.
AWESOME....I think Frank'll be on QVC this holiday season pitching Carhartt jeans!!!

Think the Mike Rowe for Carhartt!

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #154
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I have to say I love Vince. He makes me want the products he sells like no other can.
http://youtu.be/QwRISkyV_B8

not sure why it links as just code now. It used to be a screen you could click. I guess Airforums did not pay it's "contributing member" fee.

I have been wearing those logger pants for the past 15 years. Nothing holds up to the abuse I put them through.

Has this thread been highjacked or what?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Wonder who the buyer is?
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #156
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Has this thread been highjacked or what?
only slightly

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:57 AM   #157
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
Toyota Land "Cruisers"...

I agree that the Wagonmaster Wagoneers would be appropriate tow vehicles...but I do think we would be quickly be reminded of the improvements in vehicles since the demise of the Wagoneer (1991?) Tom R
It was the werst TV, even for our 22' Safari, noisy, uncomfortable and a real gas hog.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n1aww4.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	146846  
Old 12-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #158
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
How much time polishing do you think it would take per year to keep a small trailer like this Orvis one looking like it does now? Stored inside most of the year, and maybe used 2 months per year?
Old 12-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #159
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
quality and name brands aside i for one would be scared to death to take this trailer out on the road or into the woods knowing i paid 109,000 (probably more when all is said and done) for it. i guess i look at airstream or any other camper as just that......A CAMPER!! at this price for me it has gone from camper to ...guest house? office? studio? in other words she gets parked and that's that.
but i'm just a cynical a**hole so what do i know
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #160
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
You forgot to tell me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
only slightly
Are you the highest bidder? p