Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2006, 11:41 PM   #1

1979 31' Sovereign
pequot lakes , Minnesota
Please help with my shower!

hey everyone, i'm a first timer and i thought i could get some help.
I recently got a 31' sly and this baby was in some pretty rough shape but after a little TLC we got her rollin' again. I most recently installed a new water pump, I am getting good pressure form the rear faucet and the one in the kitchen, but no shower pressure whatsoever. Is there a secret valve i am unaware of? do i have a clogged line? keep in mind a am doing all of this w/o an owners manual, so i have been shooting from the hip until now. any help would be greatly appreciatted!!!
dantrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantrucker
hey everyone, i'm a first timer and i thought i could get some help.
I recently got a 31' sly and this baby was in some pretty rough shape but after a little TLC we got her rollin' again. I most recently installed a new water pump, I am getting good pressure form the rear faucet and the one in the kitchen, but no shower pressure whatsoever. Is there a secret valve i am unaware of? do i have a clogged line? keep in mind a am doing all of this w/o an owners manual, so i have been shooting from the hip until now. any help would be greatly appreciatted!!!
I had similar problems when I 'fired up' the Tradewind we bought in April. I cleared out some debris in the lines then discovered a number of leaks from poor winterizing. I did not notice the leaks until I went to the outside of the trailer then when I went back into the trailer water began coming out from under everything. So after I repaired the leaks I was pleased with the pressure from the pump but discovered later that IT was also now leaking. I am now waiting for my ordered 3.5 GPM pump since the old one had a manufactured date of 1/75. It was pumping pretty good too.
Neil.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I would check for leaks also, as the pex pipes do crack. Especially at or near the control valve.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums. There is a very active group of Vintage Airstream Clubbers in MN and WI you might want to check into it.
Check to see if the shower head is turned on. There is a slide valve right on the shower head to allow you to shut the water to a drip while showering.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:10 AM   #5
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
You may also want to check the shower head itself. They can get clogged up with calcium buildup just like any other faucet. I hope its that easy for you and welcome.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:31 PM   #6

1979 31' Sovereign
pequot lakes , Minnesota
Yeah, i checked for leaks, and everything is sealed tight. i don't think that i am even getting water to the shower head because the line isn't tight with water. can i run the shower off the pump itself or does it need to be hooked up to the city water?

tuck.
dantrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:41 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Help with shower

In the unit I recently purchase, there is a pink stain in the floor of the shower which I think may have come from the solution used to winterize
Does anyone know if the floor can be recoated?
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:04 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantrucker
Yeah, i checked for leaks, and everything is sealed tight. i don't think that i am even getting water to the shower head because the line isn't tight with water. can i run the shower off the pump itself or does it need to be hooked up to the city water?

tuck.
tuck,
The shower will work on either city water or pumped water from the tank. Sounds like you have a blockage. Try disconnecting the shower hose from the head and work your way back. Since it is both the hot and cold that will not flow, it is somewhere between the valves and the head.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslanier
In the unit I recently purchase, there is a pink stain in the floor of the shower which I think may have come from the solution used to winterize
Does anyone know if the floor can be recoated?
Yes it can be recoated. Some here on the forums have done it themselves. I elected to have it done by a fiberglass shower restoration company. Not cheap but it looks good ! The company I had do it can do the job with the shower still in the trailer. They did mine at their shop as I had it out and I really had no place to store it while I was doing the floor.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
There are secret valves...

Dan-

There may well be valves under sink vanity near shower that control flow into shower mix valve, if anyone has worked on plumbing.. If your shower mix valve has large plastic round knob and just rotates approx 270 degrees, it is a model no longer made, and NOT a Moen, but still has a removable cartridge which has adjustable gizmo's inside that need to be adjusted with a 5/64" Allen wrench, or may have frozen in place...

Try using "search" tab above and look for shower and mix and valve....

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:52 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Midlothian , Virginia
Try taking the shower faucet stim out and cleaning it.. Mine was gummed up and would not pull up or turn, but after taking it out, soaking in penetrating oil and a good scrubbing, it works like new...

Good luck!
Retired & Having Fun
toadtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:37 AM   #12
near ichnetucknee springs

1978 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
davie , Florida
i recently pressurized my "new" purchase after it sat for 12 years. i ended up replacing all the "moen" stem "O" rings -- all three faucets require the same kit which is nice -- ieven carry a spare now! well, the last faucet i tried to test was the vanity sink. i pulled up the handle and nothing!!!! not a drop!!! now what i asked ???? certainly the faucet screen couldn't be that plugged up that it wouldn't allow SOME water to trickle out?? removed the screen and it was totally plugged while the shower and kitchen sinks were fine --- but then i better check them --- they are probibly partially plugged?
charlie tuna is offline   Reply With Quote