Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Hemp Oil for our Dog Dingo- Marijuana Extract

My Dog Dingo Thread some time ago, described the torn ACL in one hind leg and then later, to the other rear knee. It has been less than two years and as a 13 year old Blue Heeler, he has recovered as well as could be expected without expensive surgery.

He is not 100%, but neither am I at 68 years old. But doing well. (Both of us.) Eating well. Other than a common ailment among Heelers of deafness, he has lost a good percentage of his hearing. We use hand signals and clap to get his attention. Our younger Heeler, Blue... Dingo will watch and when she moves... he moves. We made this possible to maintain normal routines and new ways to communicate with hand signals.

People we meet at the Boulder City 'Dog Park’, near the Bureau of Reclamation, have been using Hemp Oil (Cannabidol CBD), adding about 5mg to a treat to relieve pain and provide relief for other ailments. We were concerned more with Dingo and pain, if any, but noticed his slowing down and frequent groaning, when returning from our daily 2 mile hikes.

When we ran out for a few days, Dingo slowed down, which we noticed. The demand seems to be larger than the supply at the present time.

Nancy gives Dingo 10mg a day and is going to work up to 20mg a day, by following how Dingo 'appears to react'. The improvement to his disposition could be our imagination… This marijuana extract from seeds and stems seems to be working. Finding a right amount added to a treat will occur over time. This is not the part that the Human users are purchasing at the clinics. This is a byproduct of the plant and an oil extracted from it.

Dingo weighs between 70 to 75 pounds, getting 5mg, which is about half of the 'eye dropper'.

This is processed for Human Consumption, but also can be used for pets. There may be a 'brand for pets', but may not be of the same quality. Nancy is using Elixinol Natural Drops, from Colorado.. of all places.

The CBD oil concentration is what is important, and some sellers add less active ingredients. My wife says there are three companies that seem to maintain a standard.

Has anyone else tried or heard of this? Of course, we hear only positive comments. One small bottle contains 30ml /300mg/1 ounce of extract in coconut oil at $30 a bottle. Larger bottles are available at less cost per ml, but we want to try it before getting too involved with a new product available on the current market.

We have used two small bottles to this point, received two more yesterday to keep experimenting. Vets will not commit in public, but off the record… they are following this closely.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:51 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
1954 15' Byam Holiday
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
Munchies?

Does Dingo have the Munchies?
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I asked my vet about Canabis for dogs. She very strongly said she has treated many dogs that have developed severe problems from Canabis. Not sure if it is the THC or the other active chemical that may cause a problem.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
No munchie changes. Dingo does not look for any additional snacks, either. Nor gained weight. Grown a beard. His hair is still short. He does hold his tail up high with a curl on the last third... but that is usual Dingo.

Although... just from my posting this Thread, I cut an extra large piece of homemade Cherry Pie for myself.

There is no THC in this. If it is bad for... dogs, what about... Human Beans.

Other ingredients: MCT Oil: Naturally Extracted from Coconut Oil. (Probably the same stuff we use to pop our popcorn from Costco.) Just using an abbreviation makes it more... exotic and, no doubt adds some to the price.

Its active ingredient is CBD Hemp Oil. Cannabidiol, aka CBD.

I am a bit from the Deep Forest and even the smell of pine sap on a Pine Tree is good enough for me feeling better while Boondocking.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
There is no THC in this. If it is bad for... dogs, what about... Human Beans.
What about chocolate?
Old 01-06-2018, 08:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
I have a bottle of topical ointment that was given to me for an elbow issue no one could figure out, after a week of application the problem was gone and still is today. If I have any strange aches I dab some of that on and that solves it. Truly amazing stuff and it’s a shame we feed the pharma industries wallets for very questionable treatments that lead to all sorts of other issues. Generalizing I know, but there is centuries of knowledge going to waste...

Now please excuse me, there is a sad tree that needs a hug.
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Hey ray, thx for this post. We too have a 12 Yr old friend with some BH sprinkled in. Bailey (avitar pic) like most 12y/o 70 lb pooches, has a hitch in her giddyup...to the point that i can rarely get her out of the yard for walk a around the block (s) if i'm lucky.

I'll look for an recent article in the local rag re CDB/biscuits...fromout of state suppliers...go figure.

Living in EUG, we must have a dozen dispensaries within a 5 min walk. I think i'll take a reconoiter/research walk on monday as i've not noticed much re the oil's when walking by the dispensaries.

Thanks again for this post especially re the doses
Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Interesting, we have a 16 yo maltese that could benefit. Thanks for the info.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Here is the recent Eugene Weekly article I referenced above re CDB oils/dig biscuits etc. I think the CDB side of the coin will see much discussion, application and availability in the near future, for both the pets and humans,

http://www.eugeneweekly.com/20170817...story/pot-pets

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Judy is about 15 and has arthritis and pain especially in her hips. She has been prescribed Tramadol for the pain and inflammation then another drug to protect her kidneys from the effects of the Tramadol. Also really hard to give her the meds. She also gets real anxious in vehicles. At this stage of the game she is living on borrowed time and I think I will give CBD oil a try.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
My wife, Nancy, has been locating other suppliers. They seem to be in Colorado. With so many States jumping on the other side of the Hemp business, there should be better prices in the future.

She has found other suppliers already and when she is done, try to do a short hand post... if at all possible. Prices are better at other suppliers. They do the ml, mg 'dance' so it takes some effort to figure out what you are getting for the price.

So... do your research. For our dog Dingo... it is well worth the money to at least try to extend his comfort, and maybe he will give us more time to be with him. Camping and hiking every Summer is our activity. Mostly for Nancy and I, but the Heelers seem to want to come along. Imagine that. Dogs doing People Stuff.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Nancy gives Dingo 10mg a day and is going to work up to 20mg a day, by following how Dingo 'appears to react'. The improvement to his disposition could be our imagination… This marijuana extract from seeds and stems seems to be working.
"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it."
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:26 AM   #13
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
The AG has your dog on a list now.
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:40 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8
Old 01-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LY007 View Post
The AG has your dog on a list now.

(wonder what is next with this circus...)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:43 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
We're about to give it a try for two of our dogs. Our 12-year-old labradoodle who has stiffness and pain in her hips, and our 3-year-old labradoodle who has anxiety issues. The 3-year-old golden doodle seems to be both well-adjusted and physically fit. His only problem is that there doesn't seem to be anybody willing to throw a ball for him for 6-8 hours per day.
Jamespio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
We're about to give it a try for two of our dogs. Our 12-year-old labradoodle who has stiffness and pain in her hips, and our 3-year-old labradoodle who has anxiety issues. The 3-year-old golden doodle seems to be both well-adjusted and physically fit. His only problem is that there doesn't seem to be anybody willing to throw a ball for him for 6-8 hours per day.
Some years ago we had a good way for 'Indoor Play'.

We used the latex hose that medical offices use. It is a light amber in color. It is durable and can handle about anything. We attached a hard rubber six inch ring onto one end and the other end to a eye ring in the ceiling (wood, so it was easy). During bad weather days, this was a great way to burn any excess energy.

A tennis ball could be mounted as well.

The only caveat. You have to figure the 'range' of the ball or ring when stretched and released. When you do not want it hanging from the ceiling, you take it down.