Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Class A, B, C Motorhome....

Hi there;
Can you explain me what is the differences between the class A, B, C for a motor home ? is it according to your driver license and you can drive one class in function of that ?
My European driver license authorise me to drive until 3500 kg. what class, if that depend of that, can I drive with driver license in USA ?
I' m planning for later in buying an vintage aluminum or argosy MH , small size so i try to know if it's possible and if this kind of vintage vehicles are reliable or it's an error to do that and it's better to rent...

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunoffrance
Hi there;
Can you explain me what is the differences between the class A, B, C for a motor home ? is it according to your driver license and you can drive one class in function of that ?
My European driver license authorise me to drive until 3500 kg. what class, if that depend of that, can I drive with driver license in USA ?
I' m planning for later in buying an vintage aluminum or argosy MH , small size so i try to know if it's possible and if this kind of vintage vehicles are reliable or it's an error to do that and it's better to rent...

Bruno.
Bruno,

Class A motorhomes are the bus types, or like the Argosy and Classic Airstream motorhomes. The body is purpose built, there is no separate driver compartment. The interior is usually one level, and one height all the way from front to back.

Class B are motorhomes that are directly derived from a van, like a Ford, Chevrolet, or Dodge van, often with fiberglass roof extensions. Sprinters are classB motorhomes.

Class C motorhomes often have a heavy duty van frame, and then a fiberglass body attached to it. Class C motorhomes usually have a large bed above the driver and passenger seat, making them very space efficient, and ideal for travelling families.

Of course there are hybrid versions of all of them, but in general, you get the idea.
In US, one can drive a motorhome with a regular license. Most of them weigh more than 3500kg, though.
Motorhomes definitely have their advantages. If I was to travel only, not staying long at a location, then a motorhome would be a good choice for me.
I prefer trailering because the tow vehicle doubles as transportation once at location.
There are many outfits that rent motorhomes, sometimes very cheap when booked from Europe. I assume that that would be the more economical way to go.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Hi there;

Bruno.
Bruno,
I do not know if there are licensing differences between the Motorhome classes, although it may be possible that above 26,000 lbs. wieght rating that a Commercial Drivers License may be required. Actually the Motorhome classes refer to type of construction (and to some extent size).

Class A Motorhomes are built on "bare" chassis (frame, engine, transmission, suspension) with the Motorhome manufacturer providing the full body and interior, including the drivers compartment. These tend to be the largest and heaviest Motothomes, up to 45" long and 45,000 lbs., but some may be as small as 20" long.

Class B Motorhomes are basically converted cargo vans. The drivers compartment remains as provided by the Van manufacturer. Often the roof is raised and RV type interior fitements (fridge, stove, bathroom, dinette, etc.) are added by the Motorhome manufacturer. These are obviously the smallest and lightest Motorhomes. I'd be surprised, however, if many were under 3500kg (about 7000 lbs). A VW Campervan might be about the lightest.

Class C Motorhomes combine some aspects of both Class A's and Class B's. They are built on "cab chassis" models, where the cab and drivers compartment are as provided by the Chassis manufacturer. Behind the cab, the rest of the body is built by the Motorhome manufacturer and is typically wider and taller than a normal van body. These units can be much like Class A's inside, except for the drivers compartment. Some people consider them easier to drive than Class A's. Class C's are typically the mid-sized Motorhomes, although they can range in length from perhaps 20" to at least 35" or more and I'm sure can probably exceed 26,000 lbs. on the high end.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
You can get a class A, class B, or Class C drivers license. These have nothing to do with the classes of motorhomes.

In general terms, class A is for 18 wheelers (tractor+trailer), class B is for large dump trucks and straight trucks with light trailers, and class C is for buses and hazardous materials.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
It also varies from state to state.

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick
It also varies from state to state.
Here in Florida, you can drive any size motor home with with a regular operator's license IIRC, class "E", but you need a "D" or "C" CDL to drive any pickup truck over 3/4 ton capacity. This is hopefully being fixed, as it doesn't make any sense.
I have a class "B" CDL, which means I can tow anything up to 10,000 pounds. I can tow a heavier Airstream, if I own it, but not if it belongs to my neighbor.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:31 AM   #7
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Thank you for the replies;
Can I drive an A/S MH from 20' to 30' with a regular driver licence ?
Are vintage aluminum MH engine reliable if I want to use it 3 monthes / year ?

Bruno.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:40 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Thank you for the replies;
Can I drive an A/S MH from 20' to 30' with a regular driver licence ?
Are vintage aluminum MH engine reliable if I want to use it 3 monthes / year ?

Bruno.
Here in the US, yes, you can drive with a regular license. If you are going to leave the motor home, and use it only 3 months, and leave it parked 9 months, it is not a good idea. Things deteriorate more quickly when the sit idle for long periods.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Not american

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Here in the US, yes, you can drive with a regular license. If you are going to leave the motor home, and use it only 3 months, and leave it parked 9 months, it is not a good idea. Things deteriorate more quickly when the sit idle for long periods.
Hi overlander;
As I'm not american, my visa alows me to stay only 3 monthes in your country so it's why my solution was in this way...
If I buy a travel trailer, the problem wil be to find a renting car for that and it's nearly impossible to rent for towing.
The MH solution seems to me better; Not a too long one so I'm a bit afraid with the engine; I don't want to be on the side of the street with that and waste time and money during my trip.

Bruno.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:56 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Bruno,

Have you thought of renting a MoHo for the 3 months you will bo over here? There are places that do that. It would probably be SOB but it might be your best solution.

Steve
Geophilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:07 AM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Hi overlander;
As I'm not american, my visa alows me to stay only 3 monthes in your country so it's why my solution was in this way...
If I buy a travel trailer, the problem wil be to find a renting car for that and it's nearly impossible to rent for towing.
The MH solution seems to me better; Not a too long one so I'm a bit afraid with the engine; I don't want to be on the side of the street with that and waste time and money during my trip.

Bruno.
Bruno, if your intent is to buy a trailer then check with a company called Enterprise Leasing. They are a very large rental/leasing company in the US. You could potentially rent a window van, pickup truck, Suburban type vehicle to pull that trailer. I don't believe they would put any towing restrictions on these types of vehicles. Especially since most of these come with factory installed receivers.

Here is a link to their site. Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Rental Cars at Everyday Low Rates

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:35 AM   #12
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Bruno, if your intent is to buy a trailer then check with a company called Enterprise Leasing. They are a very large rental/leasing company in the US. You could potentially rent a window van, pickup truck, Suburban type vehicle to pull that trailer. I don't believe they would put any towing restrictions on these types of vehicles. Especially since most of these come with factory installed receivers.

Here is a link to their site. Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Rental Cars at Everyday Low Rates

Jack
hi jack;
When I've bought the A/S in North Carolina, all the major renting car groups did'nt want to rent for towing , and it was from Atlanta, Ga. I've found only one ( American Car rental ).
Another big problem was the insurrance... as I' m a foreigner; not for the renting car but for what you tow....
For the anecdot, when I've picked up the renting car for towing the A/S, there was no hitch ball nor ball mount... Only the square...
I wondered if, instead of renting each year for a 3 monthes period, it was a better solution to buy... an vintage Travel Trailer and find something to tow it or an MH, vintage too.
Here is the dilemna.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:34 PM   #13

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
hi jack;
When I've bought the A/S in North Carolina, all the major renting car groups did'nt want to rent for towing , and it was from Atlanta, Ga. I've found only one ( American Car rental ).
Another big problem was the insurrance... as I' m a foreigner; not for the renting car but for what you tow....
For the anecdot, when I've picked up the renting car for towing the A/S, there was no hitch ball nor ball mount... Only the square...
I wondered if, instead of renting each year for a 3 monthes period, it was a better solution to buy... an vintage Travel Trailer and find something to tow it or an MH, vintage too.
Here is the dilemna.
That's why I was suggesting Enterprise. They are not like the typical major rental company. They started here in my part of the country and much of their success is not being like the Avis, or Hertz type rental agency. So you might check with them before you give up on renting a tow vehicle. You might find them a little more accomodating.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-28-2007, 12:51 PM   #14
_

. , .
hi bruno

buy a moho to use when here?

i LIKE your thinking.

there are other international members here who do just that.

sitting un used for 9 months isn't ideal, so get creative.

find another family to 'timeshare' your state side purchase....

perhaps someone you know also wants to rv in the usa a few months each year.

many mohos DO sit idle here for 3-6 months.

that may actually be how MOST of them live.

a 20 year old classic moho isn't gonna decay much from a few idle months...

come on over the water is fine!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
More than just an RV

Bruno -
First, I enjoyed attending your wedding via the forum and second, I live in a 55 year old retirement community that has lake front homes in Florida, We also have some RV ports and that means there is an attached covered structure to park your RV under next to your home. For those who don't have the RV port, there is a storage area to park the RV. Send me a PM if you would like more information.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:52 AM   #16
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Angry link mades my apple computer web off

Jack[/QUOTE]

Hi Jack,
more than one time , I try to go on the link but, after a few second , my computer is disconnecting from the web... and no way to go on the Enterprise rent a car site.

Bruno.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:13 AM   #17

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Hi Jack,
more than one time , I try to go on the link but, after a few second , my computer is disconnecting from the web... and no way to go on the Enterprise rent a car site.

Bruno.[/quote]

Bruno, I'm not sure whether this is an overseas issue since the links seems to work ok here. I just checked it again and it's fine. Maybe you can do a Google search and find a link that works for you.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15