Old 05-03-2004, 07:47 PM   #337
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
You can see similar quality problem photos with our rig in posts 76 and 78 in this thread.
I thought the cuts in the vinyl were from the dealer removing the plastic. Might be something else.
73/gus

Hensley/Prodigy
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 09:07 PM   #338
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Gus -

I went back to look at you pictures and posts, then I hurried out to my trailer to see if I also had some of your problems that I just hadn't yet found.

We haven't yet opened most of our windows because of all the rain, so I don't know if they all will work properly, and since we havn't stayed in it much I can't ay how things will react to a few days' use. Fortunately, our refrigerator doesn't appear have the problems yours did.

One thing that bothers me more than these quality issues though is that Airstream would let this type of crap out the door, and the dealer wouldn't find and tell us about it before our arrival (they know much better than we do how to spot the obvious defects), but then they expect us to take our units back to them at our expense to correct their screw-ups.

Something just ain't right with that equation. I can understand things going wrong after leaving the manufacturer, but businesses that operate with a caveat emptor attitute don't cut it in my book.

John

Old 05-03-2004, 09:37 PM   #339
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Can post other issue photos to a site if you desire.

I too wish Airstream QC was better. Luckily, we've received excellent warranty service from North Dallas RV.

We gathered up all our warranty items into a long letter. Dave Shumann set things up for us. He told us to get the trailer floor replaced, and send him the bill. Dave has been an excellent POC on taking care of things.

We also discovered a couple of electrical outlets that were deleted but remain in the drawings. Search for my missing electrical outlets for that thread.

Once we work out the issues, we will enjoy the trailer for a long, long time. It's everything Mary and I wanted.

Concerning QC, I received a recall notice today on our 2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD pickup. So what can you do?

73/gus
Hensley/Prodigy
Old 05-04-2004, 12:20 AM   #340
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
I guess it is time for me to weigh in here with my report on our '04 Classic 34 ... we have been on the road for a little over a month now ... and we have become quite familiar with our trailer.

Overall ... it is in great shape. We have had a few minor issues that have ben easily handled without going to the dealer.

Check those compression fitings on the pipes under the galley and bath sink! We had one work loose under the galley ... luckily, it leaked into a plastic container. I was lucky to find it before it spilled over. I figure it just worked loose from vibration.

We have the same dripping water problem with the shower door ... also I need to caulk between the shower bottom edge and the floor ... the gap has widened a bit. Again, probably just a moving and bending and vibration thing ... but I do have a bit of a gap there now.

Our biggest problem surfaced about a week ago ... and became critical today. The fan vent in the bath would partially open after some towing .. I would close it ... but then it would open again. Now, after opening it ... it will not close. Time to buy a ladder.

I also noticed the huge amounts of caulking during the Escapade Rally when I climbed up on the roof with a fellow who was installing a couple of Xreme Vents. He just laughed and shrugged it off ... said that all RVs have the caulking globbed on the roof.

Other than that ... the Classic is performing rather well ... and we're having a hell of a good time.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 06:20 AM   #341
4 Rivet Member

I feel Your pain flyfisher, I too had floor issues. I took unit to Jackson center(about 3 hour drive for me) it was inconvienient but they complely replaced the custom floor I had ordered that had shown up with cuts ect. Call the factory and talk to D. Schumann , he was helpful in going over the concerns I had and inspected the floor problems I had and on the trip to repair met with myself , my wife and Dicky Riegel AS president was in attendace. They are concerened with qualit and will step up to the plate and make it better.
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch. Pulled By 2010 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Megacab
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 06:49 AM   #342
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
I'd never have a complaint if someone put on a little too much caulking, or if it didn't look neatly applied.

Here's a sample of how the cuulking around my bathroom skylight looks. This is about an 8" section; it looks like this the entire way around. (I'll get better pictures later today.) Everything you see in this picture was included with the final delivered price, and it is all included as an extra cost option direct from the factory. Tell me what you think.

John
Old 05-04-2004, 07:32 AM   #343
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Actually, outside of the muck that is stuck to the caulk, the job you posted above actually looks pretty good. If I had my digital camera (I lent it out), you'd see in some areas of my unit, it looks as if the caulk came out of the tube and dried fully as a round bead of caulk around some areas. Seriously.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:50 AM   #344
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
You can compare what you found to our Classic's roof. Look for my photo album (gklott) and go to the picture "Roof Measurements" on the second page.

It appears to be pretty standard to have the caulking the way you found.

73/gus
Hensley/Prodigy
Old 05-04-2004, 08:59 AM   #345
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Having worked in the ag and construction industries, I'm not adverse to a little dirt, but we didn't buy these to slop the pigs, did we?

John
Old 05-04-2004, 09:05 AM   #346

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The caulk looks fairly good compared to many. It looks like some dirt or debris blew or fell onto the caulk before it had dried. Hmmm...if this bothers you, to replace they will have to pull things apart scrape off and recaulk. Personally I would rather that they not break that original seal. Sometimes to fix the cosmetic you will end up causing future leak problems.

Caulking on roof items is never something done with an eye for neatness. Defendable? No, but from an industry standard the guys who do this slop it on and dribbles and other excesses seem to be the norm.

I wonder if the lifting device that lifts the body onto the frame had some crud on it?

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 09:12 AM   #347

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dee
It's enough to break your heart! How can they deliver such a shoddy product? Where was the QC department? Having an early happy hour? Simply inexcusable!

The marks on the bathroom floor look like cigarette burns- WOW! The bath fan is so bad- how could anybody leave it like that? And have that mag rack installed for sure!
They got a REAL NEED to make it right!
I am also shocked at the pictures. This is awful...plain and simple. Someone in QC needs a repremand or the boot. These pictures need to go to somebody in mgmt. at A/S.

I can't tell you how much this bothers me...and its not even mine!

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 09:36 AM   #348
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Jack -

Your sympathy, and that of others eases my pain, somewhat. I guess that's why I made these posts here, at least in part, and perhaps to help the next fellow coming along that purchases an Airstream, much as you fellows have helped me, not only on this thread, but many of the other threads here as well.

I understand what you're saying about removing the caulking. The other vents, etc. on the roof don't look half bad - I haven't had a good test to see how they actually seal though - but this particular one really looks awful in my opinion.

I haven't even bothered telling you guys about things in my unit that just plain look bad - like the hole inside the wardrobe that must have been drilled in the wrong place and the wood filller that was smeared over it, and left to dry in about a 1" diameter smear. That type of thing looks like crap too - and in my opinion reflects the ATTITUDE of workers in that facility - but probably that specific hole by itself doesn't effect the quality of the trailer.

I doubt that you could get the cauking that scuzzy without someone actually working hard to get it that crappy -- then again, considering what I saw in Jackson Center on the 2 factory tours I went on (granted, they were in 2002 and 2003), that type of filth should not have surprised me. (I spent many years in factories all over the world that manufacture farm, construction, trucks and automobiles, and related equipment, and none of them were ever as unkempt as the Airstream plant the 2 times I was there. - And before someone tells me that's how RV plants look, I'll offer to take them through a travel trailer manufacturing facility close to my home for comparison - a manufacturer that is consistently rated among the tops in quality.)

John
Old 05-04-2004, 03:29 PM   #349
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
The accountability factor for the AS production line/factory is coming through clearly in these posts. Considering that many of our Forum members are young and may well join the ranks of members who eventually go "new" if the product retains/regains its quality and mistique, it would seem that the AS plant would follow this Forum, recognize a ready market within our several thousand potential buyers, and want to ensure prospective sales. Standards at the factory should be set from the top with a positive, consistent, and enforced message to its working community. If it's a limited problem, AS will be able to identify the laxness and take care of it promptly. If it is a pervasive problem, more needs to be done. Sure, the bottom dollar line is essential to a business, but if it is not matched with consistently high standards of production, that bottom line will ooze away like water in a seive. If a product like Flyfishers' can leave the factory, it seems that improvements need to be made in the environment and the work culture of the AS factory. High work morale CAN happen. Pride and enthusiasm CAN permeate a work place. They translate into quality product. Quality control will not be an issue if everything else is in place. The '04 line seems to have been given both high and low reports. Many eyes will be on the soon-to-be released '05 line.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 07:45 PM   #350
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Before we settled on our trailer out of dealer stock, we looked at several models there. I was kind of surprised at how dirty they all were. Our sales person said that's the way they come from the factory and the dealers don't bother cleaning them until they are sold or they are going into the showroom.

Ours had a lot of small metal filings and sawdust even after the dealer prepped and 'cleaned' it.

I've thoroughly cleaned it twice and used the shop-vac everywhere I could get it to go and will still find some metal. My guess is that it must be wedged between the cabinets and the walls and when the trailer is moved, it falls out.

That's been my only real disappointment with Airstream so far. I think it's really stupid on the factory's part to NOT implement some cleaning and Q/C during manufacture since I'm sure that it costs them more to do something like a floor and/or panel replacement a second time than it would to not screw it up in the first place.

And if they do have a cleaning and Q/C process .. it needs to be revised.