Old 07-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #225
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A.

Is Airstream obligated to make "good" a cosmetic problem? Who knows, but I would remind people of all of those cars with pealing paint in the 1980s. As I recall, there was no major restitution by the car manufacturers.
I agree to a point. There have been units 6 months old (2006 model year if I recall correctly). I'm not as interested in my unit being fixed as Airstream finding the answer as to why this is happening. This is unacceptable given the high cost of these units.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:04 AM   #226
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Wheels are peeling on 2007 Safari

Just returned from a 3 week trip with our 4 month old Safari. The wheels were perfect before we left but while checking tire pressures on the trip I noticed that each wheel had a piece or two of clearcoat the size of your palm peeled off.

Like some others have said, unless you can get the clearcoat to bond to the wheel, maybe it is better to just have an unfinished service that will be uniform.

I'll just add this to the list of defects for our visit to JC.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #227
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Corrosion 2003 Classic

This is only a portion of what we are trying to deal with. What to do??? Does anyone have a reliable fix. How do we make a repair without damaging the surrounding area??
Still learning how to navigate the site>hope the photo's uploaded properly!
Well it looks like the photo's are there. Being a 2003 any attempts at repair will be done by yours truly so any help would be greatly appreciated. I could post quite a few more photo's but I think ya all get the idea> I find it hard to believe the number of posts about this problem. I guess I should be happy that the wheels have not been affected<><>yet.
Attached Images

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #228
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Corrosion

We have been having the same problem with our 2004 Classic. Corrosion around the battery compartment doors. Corrosion on the entry door hinges. Corrosion around the tail light assemblies. I have been carrying my dremmel with the small buffing wheel and polishing compound to remove. Then I spray with clearcoat. So far areas I have treated seem to be OK. I am more concerned with the rust that has formed on the galvanized rear storage drawer, the galvanized power jacks and the galvanized hose clamps for the LP gas lines. and the storage area behind the LP tanks. This really makes me worry about possible frame rust and other areas I can not see.

Larry
Old 08-02-2007, 09:07 PM   #229
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down Corrosion 2003 Classic

Larry;
Had the same concerns with the rear slide out. Have drilled several drain holes to keep it as dry inside as possible.Also found some snap together dry-lock plastic flooring material at Home Depot that helps keep it dry. Would be nice if the if it retracted far enough to keep most of the water out. As for the stab jacks I just spray them down with an oil based undercoat during spring get ready,as well as most other unprotected undercarriage metal. Those entry door hinges worry me though, the corrosion is pretty bad and I sure would hate to brake thru the clearcoat, I have tried polishing several small spots around the entry door handle with fairly good results. But I really think this is going to be a never-ending maintainence concern.
On the LP lines, I have found some of the plastic zip-ties that will go around the line and have a tab with a hole that can be secured with a stainless rivet,just have to crawl under and get it done. I got used to checking the undercarraige on a regular basis with our "63" Safari. You may have to replace one or two every spring, but it's better than the lines failing!<><> Bob

Old 08-03-2007, 09:06 AM   #230
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
corrosion

Bob,
My solution to the rear drawer rust was to remove and have coated at the local LineX bedliner shop. I also removed and coated the streetside tool/storage box and the curbside box where all the water connections are made. This has worked very well. I painted the stabilizer jacks with POR 15 and seems to be holding up well also. Maybe I just need counseling for my compulsive behavior??
Larry
Old 08-03-2007, 01:18 PM   #231
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dhe9
white spiders

hello,

must confess i did not read all 17 pages of this post but wondering if the clear coat can be stripped off and the '03 posished as the older ones are?

this may be the only solution to the spider webs showing up.

david,
socal
RETIRED USMC
dhe9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:10 PM   #232
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
Larry;
Had the same concerns with the rear slide out. Have drilled several drain holes to keep it as dry inside as possible.Also found some snap together dry-lock plastic flooring material at Home Depot that helps keep it dry. Would be nice if the if it retracted far enough to keep most of the water out. As for the stab jacks I just spray them down with an oil based undercoat during spring get ready,as well as most other unprotected undercarriage metal. Those entry door hinges worry me though, the corrosion is pretty bad and I sure would hate to brake thru the clearcoat, I have tried polishing several small spots around the entry door handle with fairly good results. But I really think this is going to be a never-ending maintainence concern.
On the LP lines, I have found some of the plastic zip-ties that will go around the line and have a tab with a hole that can be secured with a stainless rivet,just have to crawl under and get it done. I got used to checking the undercarraige on a regular basis with our "63" Safari. You may have to replace one or two every spring, but it's better than the lines failing!<><> Bob
Go with these to secure your gas lines - they are stainless steel with a rubber protective strip. Made for wire runs - they are strong and look better. Click on link for a source, I have no connection to them.

Electrical
Attached Images

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #233
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhe9
hello,

must confess i did not read all 17 pages of this post but wondering if the clear coat can be stripped off and the '03 posished as the older ones are?

this may be the only solution to the spider webs showing up.

david,
socal
Yes and no. Yes, the pre-coated aluminum can be stripped, but I've been told by many folks that you cannot get the new Airstreams to shine like the old ones (mirror finish). Best we can hope for is to strip down the shell and re-coat it or paint it.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 08-03-2007, 04:16 PM   #234
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
A Multitude Of Corrosion Problems

What I have found since joining the Forum is there are a lot of Streamers out there with vary similar problems and at lot of different, but vary good solutions, now that is cool!!!
Another concern we ran into when it was time to change some burnt out clearance light bulbs on the "63" Safari, steel screws in the aluminum can be vary difficult to remove. Six bucks of stainless hardware solved the problem. It was one of the first things I did when we got the new rig home. I really don't mind doing this stuff, but you would think that the Factory might consider a few upgrades along these lines.
Thanks to all and keep on Stream'n!!!

This photo is for dhe9 SEMPER FI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01926.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	42382  

Old 08-16-2007, 08:11 AM   #235
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjboswell
Just returned from a 3 week trip with our 4 month old Safari. The wheels were perfect before we left but while checking tire pressures on the trip I noticed that each wheel had a piece or two of clearcoat the size of your palm peeled off.

Like some others have said, unless you can get the clearcoat to bond to the wheel, maybe it is better to just have an unfinished service that will be uniform.

I'll just add this to the list of defects for our visit to JC.

I was thinking this was mainly an Airstream issue (the rims), but I just had all 4 of my GM 3/4 ton rims replaced under warranty on my 2004 Suburban, so it is an issue that does go beyond Airstream, though I still am under the impression that the skins on the Airstreams that have this same issue are clearly an Airstream manufacturing issue that to date, I've heard no solid fix that could keep it from either happening or significantly slowing it down.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #236
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
I tried some ACF-50 per the factory rec. on some of my small spots. It didn't touch them as far as removing the corrosion.

OK, so I removed the nasty white stuff with a super fine fiberglass brush and then coated it with ACF-50. I have not seen any filliform return there yet, but I still have my doubts. The spots at this point are definitely noticeable.

Next step is the Corrosion-X Aircraft formula. We'll see how that does.

Stay tuned for the next report in a few weeks!
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:06 PM   #237
Rivet Master

One thing that I discovered that works really well on bringing galvanized metal back to a better than new finish is Naval Jelly. Work in all over with fine steel wool. If you let it dry it leaves a white residue so you have to wipe it down with mineral spirits. Question :the screws that hold the rear tail light lenses rust right away, I've replaced mine with stainless steel but the original screw is a very course thread and even the course stainlees screws from Home Depot aren't course enouhg to hold in the tail light plastic housing.Anyone have a suggestion for a replacement in stainless??
Old 08-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #238
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Santa Clarita , California
I also have spider webs and corrosion on the hinges like the ones shown in post #227. I assumed that perhaps it was from the p.o. storing the trailer under a cover or some such thing, but apparently not. I've applied a couple coats of wax to try and keep it at bay, but wasn't anticipating doing anything beyond that to remedy the situation. I'll have to keep a closer eye on it.