Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2006, 07:57 PM   #661
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoiacoast
...........You have to push on it near the knob when outside, or "slam" it from the inside.

Do other doors have this larger gap at the top? The door seems even, not off kilter in any way.

I have the same problem with my '73. You have to "slam" the door to get it to close properly. The seal that is there is waterproof. I have no idea if it is original, but "looks" like it very well could be. Door seems pretty even, maybe a bit off on the latch side (sticks out a bit on the latch side).

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:44 PM   #662
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
I installed the gasket from inland on the door frame and it seals everywhere except the very top of the door. It seems there is a larger gap there than the sides. So I temporarily added a strip of foam to the door frame to see if it would stop water... didn't. I must need something thicker. However, the door is already semi-difficult to close. But I've never close another airstream door, so I don't know how "hard" others are to close. Basically the wind alone could never shut my door. You have to push on it near the knob when outside, or "slam" it from the inside.

Do other doors have this larger gap at the top? The door seems even, not off kilter in any way.
My 71 was like that. Kinda hard to close, always. That's whith the original gasket. My 63 is now the same way. Not sure if this is normal.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:13 PM   #663
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
I installed the gasket from inland on the door frame and it seals everywhere except the very top of the door. It seems there is a larger gap there than the sides. So I temporarily added a strip of foam to the door frame to see if it would stop water... didn't. I must need something thicker. However, the door is already semi-difficult to close. But I've never close another airstream door, so I don't know how "hard" others are to close. Basically the wind alone could never shut my door. You have to push on it near the knob when outside, or "slam" it from the inside.

My door has a wider gap at the top and the bottom. My guess is that the metal has stretched over time and use. Of course having the door fly off on our trip to South Beach had nothing to do with this condition. The door however seems to meet the description of others doors. Later I plan to construct some kind of jig to help me reshape the door's shape. If someone has already preformed this function, I missed the thread. I'm open to input and any ideas along this method. The door is hot high on the priority list at this time.
Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:21 PM   #664
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
My sentiments exactly Don. My door flew off and it doesn't fit tight on the top or bottom either. Must be something about pavement and doors at over 50 mph that does it.

I'd like to see that thread too if it exists.

Brad
FF

Brad

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:09 AM   #665
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
My door had the big gaps top and bottom from flying open on the road ( happened to me first day I had it).It fits much better after new skins.Had to slam it at first with new seal but after a few month works nice.If I had to do it again I would build a plywood jig to hold the door to the correct shape when replacing skin.
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:43 PM   #666
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Dinette Progress

I spent a large part of the day in the shop, working on my dinette/loungette.
But, as usual not without some snags.
I made a flat frame from 1x3 pine, that is just 1.5in smaller on each dimension that the finished table. Then, I marked the frame on the table top bottom, so I could have a close fit. The plan was to make a frame from 1x2 flamed maple to form a surround for the table. So I cut and mitered everything, and felt quite smug, since it all looked so perfect.
Turns out that I thrashed my circular saw blade somehow, so that precious piece of maple ply that I selected for the table top got shredded along the edges. Major meltdown on my end!
So, to save the day, I went to Erasmo of MEL trailers, who has REAL tools, and had him do the rest of the cuts. One six pack later, we have a perfectly cut table top. It's now 3/8 narrower than intended, but it looks very clean against it's flamed maple edging/frame.
Then, I found out that it's twisting on the forward edges when leaned on, since it can only have a single leg in the front. No good. Skinning the underside with 1/4in ply and applying plenty wood glue took care of that. It is now very sturdy, and torsionally rigid.
I applied the third of 8 coats of finish on it just before I went home, too tired to take pictures. We are leaving ona family camping trip tomorrow over Easter, but I will post again, with pictures, once we return.
Happy Easter to everybody!
Old 04-15-2006, 07:23 PM   #667
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Rained out...

Well, it turns out that our camping trip got rained out. Our kids would have been in tents, and their kids ( our grand kids) would have been muddy, messy, cold, and most likely sick by Monday...so, we cancelled the trip and will try again next weekend.
I did find some time today to snap a few photos and tinker a bit with the dinette.

Here some pictures of the finished product, less upholstery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinette.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	20543   Click image for larger version

Name:	lped.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	20544  

Name:	rped.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	20545  
Old 04-15-2006, 07:28 PM   #668
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Storage

The dinette pedestals provide great additional storage. Their interiors are tall enough for large water bottles, and of course standard wine bottles. Lids open easily with finger holes. I might install piano hinges and lid stays, after the upholstery is finished. The street side pedestal is 10in longer to provide a lounge type seat on which one's legs can be propped up. Of course this one also has much more storage underneath.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	storagel.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	20546   Click image for larger version

Name:	storager.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	20547  

Old 04-15-2006, 07:34 PM   #669
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Table hardware

Carlos turned me on to this table hardware. Very good stuff, I might add...
The folding bracket is from Rockler, the attachment rail from an RV supplier.
The rail gives the table a lot of stability in two directions, left to right and twisting. It also allows for teh table to be slid from left to right while on the rail. The single leg bracket has a very nice and precise locking action, with a sturdy lever that positively locks in two positions, leg folded in, or leg deployed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	raildetail.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	20548   Click image for larger version

Name:	legdetail.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	20549  

Old 04-15-2006, 07:47 PM   #670
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
The dinette pedestals provide great additional storage. Their interiors are tall enough for large water bottles, and of course standard wine bottles. Lids open easily with finger holes. I might install piano hinges and lid stays, after the upholstery is finished. The street side pedestal is 10in longer to provide a lounge type seat on which one's legs can be propped up. Of course this one also has much more storage underneath.
You've got to have room for the wine!

That dinette's looking great Uwe, excellent progress. Sorry to hear that your trip got rained out....
ankornuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:49 PM   #671
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Table..

My new dinette table although not as light in weight as planned, did turn out ok after all. It is built with a center of 1x3 pine stock, laid flat and joined with pocket screws. The top is 1/2in maple ply, and the bottom is 1/4in maple ply.
The assembly is surrounded by 1x2 flamed maple stock, attached with pocket screws through the inner pine frame.
After 3 of the 8 coats of finish, the figure in the wood started to appear, and I am excited that it turned out so pretty. It's a joy to look at for me, since I love figured wood from my guitar building days, I guess.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	frame.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	20554   Click image for larger version

Name:	figure1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	20557  

Name:	figure2.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	20558  
Old 04-15-2006, 07:50 PM   #672
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankornuta
You've got to have room for the wine!

That dinette's looking great Uwe, excellent progress. Sorry to hear that your trip got rained out....
Well, this way, if I'm lucky, I can get the foam by next weekend, and have comfy place to sit and drink all that wine...
Old 04-15-2006, 09:47 PM   #673
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
My new dinette table although not as light in weight as planned, did turn out ok after all. It is built with a center of 1x3 pine stock, laid flat and joined with pocket screws. The top is 1/2in maple ply, and the bottom is 1/4in maple ply.
The assembly is surrounded by 1x2 flamed maple stock, attached with pocket screws through the inner pine frame.
After 3 of the 8 coats of finish, the figure in the wood started to appear, and I am excited that it turned out so pretty. It's a joy to look at for me, since I love figured wood from my guitar building days, I guess.
I knew there had to be some kind of background to your excellent craftsmenship. The trailer must be easy after building guitars.
Don
Old 04-15-2006, 11:57 PM   #674
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Well, it turns out that our camping trip got rained out. Our kids would have been in tents, and their kids ( our grand kids) would have been muddy, messy, cold, and most likely sick by Monday...so, we cancelled the trip and will try again next weekend.
I did find some time today to snap a few photos and tinker a bit with the dinette.

Here some pictures of the finished product, less upholstery.
UWE - what tyoe of finish do you have on your walls?
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:37 AM   #675
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
UWE - what tyoe of finish do you have on your walls?
It is a Sherwin Williams matte paint formulated for aluminum, and a finishing glaze in silver metallic, applied with a sea sponge.
We used spray equipment to apply the paint, but did the glazing by hand.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:48 AM   #676
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
It is a Sherwin Williams matte paint formulated for aluminum, and a finishing glaze in silver metallic, applied with a sea sponge.
We used spray equipment to apply the paint, but did the glazing by hand.
Thanks, it looks great. I'm trying to decide if I want to go with Zolatone, or try to duplicat the look with something else. I really like the look of the original zolatone, but it is dark and stained throughout. I'm half considering a textured paint from rustoleum that worked great on rebuilding the two-headed gacuho and bedroom lights.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:44 AM   #677
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Dinette

After seeing the bonus of wine storage offered by the dinette... I think I might add a small one to the curb side of my trailer. Currently there is a little "bar" like area across from the kitchen, but I think that space could better utilized via a 2 seater dinette.

I'm also going to remove the overhead cabinet that's over the kitchen sink and range because I think that will open the kitchen up quite a bit...

Originally I promised myself I wasn't going to change the interior, but a few little things won't hurt. (the slippery slope)
ankornuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:31 PM   #678
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankornuta
After seeing the bonus of wine storage offered by the dinette... I think I might add a small one to the curb side of my trailer. Currently there is a little "bar" like area across from the kitchen, but I think that space could better utilized via a 2 seater dinette.

I'm also going to remove the overhead cabinet that's over the kitchen sink and range because I think that will open the kitchen up quite a bit...

Originally I promised myself I wasn't going to change the interior, but a few little things won't hurt. (the slippery slope)
I recreated the overhead cabinet in the galley, because I needed the storage space, as well as some place to anchor the stove vent. My wife wanted it there for light item storage, such as napkins, dish towels, light salad bowls etc. I did leave the curb side without overhead storage, though in order to keep an open and spacious feel inside the trailer, above the long counter top.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:56 PM   #679
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Pod cast

Just listened to your interview on the Pod Cast. My Wife and I enjoyed it very much. It's a great story the only thing we missed while listening to it was the smoke in our eyes from the camp fire and the facial expressions of those listening around the fire. You know the ones who'd been there and done that. Your shake down cruse reminded us of our. The things we do to keep going. Thanks for a good story.
Don
Old 05-04-2006, 10:02 PM   #680
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
The ramblings of a madman....