Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2021, 02:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Portland , Oregon
Question Do I have a leak, or is it possible I have this much condensation pooling?

Hey Forum!

I have a 2015 19 foot Corner Bed International Serenity (Bambi)

So we took a 2 night trip this past week and it was VERY rainy (like 2 inches of rain in 24 hours). During dinner on the 2nd night we noticed water dripping from the window latches on the dinette window (on the front of the trailer). After looking all over for a leak, I opened the window and noticed the window well was full of water. About an inch deep an 3 feet long or so and it was leaking through the window latch bolt. I could not see any leak that would fill that window well up. On a hunch I decided to inspect the read bed window which has a similar mechanism and I noticed that window well was full of water too (inch deep, 12 inches long)

In just over 24 hours of camping is it possible there was enough condensation to fill those windows wells without much noticeable condensation elsewhere, or do I likely have a leak in both of those windows?

I kept the bathroom mushroom vent open at night and we were running the furnace pretty much the whole time as the temps were in the low 40s.

Thanks for any experience/insight, hoping I dont have some major leaks, but also hoping that this is not commonplace and I'll need to drain the window wells any time we travel. For context we travel with myself, my wife and a 7 & 9 year old.
febbraro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I had the very same leak several years ago. It is very likely the window gasket itself. The way they are corner cut channels water right into the sill. I had a thread on the cause and fix. I'll see if I can find it.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...ks-150307.html

Found it. I'd bet this will cure it.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-04-2021, 02:20 PM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
That would be a lot of condensation but it's possible. I'm leaning in that direction given that it was the front and the rear, and those windows seal quite tightly. There are gutters above the windows as well to help prevent intrusion at the top.

Why don't you try a leak test with a hose and see if any water can be observed entering somewhere?
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:42 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...ks-150307.html

Found it. I'd bet this will cure it.
Wow, this is fantastic. Thanks so much Rich, perfect!!
Old 01-04-2021, 04:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Yep, this is the fix. I did this a couple of years ago on my 25FB. First I spent some time adjusting the latches tightening them up. It did improve some but after looking closely, I saw the compressed gasket and replaced it with a new one. Take time to clean off all the residue after removing the old one. Mine stuck on easily and is working great.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:31 PM   #7
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
That would be a lot of condensation but it's possible. I'm leaning in that direction given that it was the front and the rear, and those windows seal quite tightly. There are gutters above the windows as well to help prevent intrusion at the top.

Some seal well and some don't. On my 25', the water would just curl around that top gutter and leak through the top of the window. Replacing the gasket solved the problem.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I use Wurth Rubber Care on all of my vehicles window and door seals on a regular basis. This product keeps the ruber gaskets flexible and extends their life considerably. I apply
about twice a year to the traier windows and every couple of months on the truck and cars.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:22 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Portland , Oregon
Rich, do you recall where you got the replacement window gasket or what the product was called? I did not see reference to that (but did see some other gasket maker silicone, etc. thanks!)
Old 01-05-2021, 12:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by febbraro View Post
Rich, do you recall where you got the replacement window gasket or what the product was called? I did not see reference to that (but did see some other gasket maker silicone, etc. thanks!)
Boy, I don't remember, but it wasn't from an AS specific vendor. It is a standard generic "D" gasket....1/2", I think. I used 3M automotive windshield gasket adhesive, which worked well. Seam goes at the bottom center and is NOT glued together. The gasket is hollow and air/water must escape when compressed.
No cuts nor seams anywhere else...one contiguous piece all around.

Something like this, but I don't trust the self stick for longevity.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L9XW999...dDbGljaz10cnVl