Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2015, 09:45 AM   #1

Marana , Arizona
23FB replace Queen with Single Twin

Dreaming of the day of becoming an Airstreamer... Does anyone know if it is possible that Airstream will customize the 23FB by replacing the queen bed with a single twin? I know that there is a 25 with dual twin beds, but I don't believe I would be comfortable towing more than the 23 plus, I don't want to get a different tow vehicle. This layout gives more room for 2 fifty pound dogs that they are not underfoot and in the way when moving about the trailer.
mbdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Airstream Adventures NW has a subsidiary that does significant modifications on new trailers. You might talk with them.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Good concept. The FC23FB bed support is a simple structure. A competent woodworker or cabinetmaker could do that modification, probably less expensively than Airstream could (doubtful if they even would). You could incorporate a nice arrangement of slide out drawers in the base. There is a storage compartment on the starboard (curb) side that would need a box enclosure - it might function as a small table between your dog beds. Keep it lightweight and pay attention to weight distribution as you do the design.

Safe Travels,
JAMU Joe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:32 PM   #4

Marana , Arizona
Thank you for the feedback. And Joe, yup I'll have to keep in mind the weight distribution! And I also found on the forum that somebody else did a dual twin in the 23FB.
mbdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:21 AM   #5
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
Sunny San Diego , California
RVservice2u

Great idea. Seems tight, but it can probably be done by an experienced restoration guy. There is a mobile mechanic in Ramona, CA RV Mobile Service 2U | Mobile RV Service & Restoration Serving Southern California who does great restoration work. He has worked on several business' in the area installing airstreams in the buildings and doing custom work such as incorporating an airstream shell as the face of a restaurant kitchen. Cant remember the restaurant name but its in oceanside, CA.

I would consult with him. Its going to be less expensive to use a knowledgeable restorative service than requesting Airstream to custom build.

Best of Luck,
Reiko
Old 12-01-2015, 10:31 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
We are in the process of refurbishing a newly acquired '64 Overlander. Our plan is to replace the double with two twins that are raised so that there's space underneath each for a good size dog bed. Our dogs like sleeping in "cubbies". You might consider putting a desk surface over the dog beds so that the space has a dual purpose.

Crista
riowerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:25 AM   #7
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Airstream probably won't do it, but from measurements, you should have enough pieces of the queen to disassemble and put it against the wall. We did a conversion similar to this.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Prince William, , Virginia
Lazy boy

We had 23fb. Took bed and frame out. Put two lazy boys smallest recliners side by side. Wife likes to sleep in recliner. If you use one recliners would be plenty of room for dogs. If you use two may have room behind and under reclined chair.
Only problem I had was viewing tv while reclined. Angle was too steep to get full color on screen. Good luck.
pebbrb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:12 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

mbd,
You may have to consider switching sides. I have a 2012 FC23FB. Where you show the dog beds is a lot of major wiring, as well as the hot water heater. Right now it's all under the queen at the head. Where you show your twin is open floor space. Other than that, it looks like a very handy layout.
Rokitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Might be better to make a twin conversion for future resale. You can take off one of the mattresses and put the dogs beds on the frame plus you'd have extra storage underneath.

Kelvin
Old 12-01-2015, 12:49 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I have a 2015 23FB and the H/W heater is under the wardrobe w/ drawers.

There is a light in the right side outside storage, but I believe there is no other wiring because my wife has 50% of all the stuff from our 36' 5th wheel under the bed.

I believe this modification could be done without any issues.
KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Can't think of a better conversion for a solo traveler! Do it.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
My Kelpie was seriously overfed by my boyfriend's mother this summer and is currently 65lbs instead of the usual 53lbs. He sleeps UNDER our fullsize bed on a mat in a very tiny space, (pic to follow), and LOVES IT. I'm guessing it feels like a den to him, safe, warm, and comfortable. As far as staying out from under my feet, that's impossible for his breed. Kelpies are herders. He considers it his job to stay at my side as long as I live. So he is either standing, sitting, laying, or walking right next to me. I have to tell him to go lay down in order to get anything done without tripping over him. He won't stay there long. *sigh* He really is a well behaved dog, it's breed specific. At least I trained heel nipping out of him thank goodness.

You might consider an open space under your bed for your doggies. They can sleep curled up together and feel safe and warm. You will also get to keep some storage space as we have, and you will have better resale value with a queen or double bed than with a single twin. Just a thought anyway.

I seriously turned up the light on this photo so you could see the space under the bed where my dog Turbo loves to sleep, that's not Turbs down there now, it's a towel on the floor I think.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Might be better to make a twin conversion for future resale. You can take off one of the mattresses and put the dogs beds on the frame plus you'd have extra storage underneath.

Kelvin
This also makes sense. Two twins will have more resale value, possibly more resale than a queen.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote