Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2015, 10:29 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1960 Caravel
Eagle , Idaho
Installing gray & black tanks above floor

I'm at the stage of my reno where the front section of old rotted floor is removed and replaced. I'm on the path of the entire floor being replaced. I've had the thought that my small 1960 Traveler is not needing huge gray and black tanks suspended somewhere within the frame spaces between the floor and belly pan. So I'm entertaining the idea of designing spaces for these tanks above the floor located mid trailer near the axles. Any one have similar thoughts or experience with this idea?

Thank you in advance,

Robert
DivineBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Do you have a shower or tub in your trailer?

If so, how will the tub or shower drain into the gray tank if the tank is above the floor? The sink or sinks are no problem.

I guess, if you only have a shower you can build it over the gray tank. However that does not give much head room.

Many trailers have a black tank above the floor with the toilet directly over it.

I prefer them both to be under the floor and out of the way. Space is a premium in these small trailers.

Best of luck on the renovation.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I'm planning on above floor tanks using a scupper drain for the shower As long as there's easy access for maintenance I think it should have lots of advantages and only a couple of down sides
Old 11-30-2015, 01:55 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1960 Caravel
Eagle , Idaho
Good points Batman. Bam! Zonk! Pow! (Sorry. Just had flashback to the old TV Batman episodes)

truckasaurus- I'm a roofing contractor by trade and very intrigued about your scupper idea. How do you see it working?

Robert
Old 12-01-2015, 01:12 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
Truckasaurus, just curious how are you going to prevent back flow or any flow to the waste tank that is on the same plane? Or are you planning on putting the tank under the shower?
Trons4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Sorry for the delay replying. It's early stages for me but I plan on picking up the entire scupper kit from somewhere like this Whale Marine - Products

IIRC it'll sense waste water in the drain, pump it up and over to the grey tank (top inlet) and then shut off the pump. I did a bit of research and as with everything some love them and some hate them. I plan for either a slim space between the tub and floor or maybe under the floor with an access hatch in the belly so I can service the kit. (or just replace it when it fails). If it doesn't have a back flow valve I'll add one if possible.

On my previous Airstream build I had a 4" platform under the tub and it caused me no problems but I am leaning towards the on floor tub this time for added roominess as I'll be using the original tub which is situated further into the end cap radius .
Old 12-02-2015, 07:52 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1960 Caravel
Eagle , Idaho
That sounds like a good plan. I know putting the pans bellow the belly skin is the way most people go with it, but it seams that any issues would make it difficult to access due to the rivet removal needed. Besides I am considering having a low profile tank marked that can be installed above floor so that all of the tanks are not exposed to cold weather that might freeze the contents.

Thanks again.

Robert
Old 12-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
I gotcha, you have a few extra feet so that doesn't sound bad.

Thanks Tony
Trons4u is offline   Reply With Quote