Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
Batwing antenna removal help.

Has anyone removed the large antenna on the roof of their AS? Mine needs to go. Also, The 12v antenna plug/switch inside the coach, what do I need to do to get a cat 5 cable into the coach to replace the old antenna wires? Thanks all!
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Taylor 1/20/96 - 11/28/08

WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDRTEXAS View Post
Has anyone removed the large antenna on the roof of their AS? Mine needs to go. Also, The 12v antenna plug/switch inside the coach, what do I need to do to get a cat 5 cable into the coach to replace the old antenna wires? Thanks all!
Needs to go why? Cat5 from top of trailer? Even bigger why?
Old 02-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Are you talking about a manual or a OEM Braund powered antenna? What do you mean by a "12v antenna/plug switch"? Are you talking about the TV antenna/ and 12v outlet plug? I replaced mine with a Winegard unit wired for coaxial. Photos would help.

I replaced my christmas tree antenna with a Winegard Batwing. I could not reuse the OEM antenna wire and could not fish new wire through. I drilled a hole under the fridge vent and rewired with coaxial from there.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Needs to go why? Cat5 from top of trailer? Even bigger why?
The original antenna is huge and I wont use it. Is cat 5 coxial?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Old 02-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Are you talking about a manual or a OEM Braund powered antenna? What do you mean by a "12v antenna/plug switch"? Are you talking about the TV antenna/ and 12v outlet plug? I replaced mine with a Winegard unit wired for coaxial. Photos would help.

I replaced my christmas tree antenna with a Winegard Batwing. I could not reuse the OEM antenna wire and could not fish new wire through. I drilled a hole under the fridge vent and rewired with coaxial from there.
LU,
Im talking about the manual crank type antenna. 70's original, I think. Yes, Iam talking about the tv/12 outlet plug. I guess I need to what you did under the fridge.

Thank You!!

Old 02-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Erm. Category 5 wire is twisted pair, not coax, not much good for an antenna connection.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Erm. Category 5 wire is twisted pair, not coax, not much good for an antenna connection.
A guy was talking about the two together. Just misunderstood him. Thanks for clarification.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
The original antenna is huge and I wont use it. Is cat 5 coxial?
Too bad, it's still good to receive the new digital TV signals, Cynthia. And I think it looks cooler'n all git out when it's up !
Old 02-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Too bad, it's still good to receive the new digital TV signals, Cynthia. And I think it looks cooler'n all git out when it's up !
Hey Mr. Man, I dont think it will work with my hdtv, will it?

Old 02-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Jammer is right about the difference between coax and cat-5. Cat-5 is for Ethernet, not TV signals.
Quote:
Search for HDTV Antenna to see the numerous threads about this. The answer still is that the signal doesn't know that it's HD. All TV antennas work just fine for HD and always have.

The good news is that you can relax. What you already have will work fine without you doing anything. Anyone who tells you different is just trying to sell you something.

They were using the Skyliner (not Batwing) antenna in 1967 and still using it in 1983. I promise you that the Skyliner works perfectly with my HDTV. You can download Braund manuals here to verify that is what you have. Someone could have replaced it with a Windgard Batwing at some point, more info at Winegard's website. Still should be OK either way.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:51 PM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
It will, ma'am, it will. You jes' gotta have a strong signal.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I had a Skyliner with the internal amplifier, which is behind the TV/12outlet. I replaced it with the Batwing with the amplifier in the antenna. The batwing is better for both regular and HD TV. If you are parking in a campgrounds with cable, it worth it to put in an alternate coax connector, so you can hook in. If you move frequently and are parking close enough to civilization, buying and resetting up a satellite system every night is not worth the effort. I now leave mine at home.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote