Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2020, 12:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
So here's the un-boxing shot of the portable gas water heater below, the thing which may permit me to self-isolate in the semi-woods for longer than average times.

It takes two "D" cells, which are rapidly becoming in short supply. I would prefer a fully-mechanical model, which would have one less circuit to fail, but I don't know if there are any on the market.

I wasn't about to go looking, either - I was just glad to get this one as originally ordered last week.

Crackpot theory for which I have zero proof:

I suspect that the U.S. government shanghai'd much of Amazon's distribution network last week to stage emergency supplies around the country, similar to the way FEMA mobilizes supplies for hurricane impacted areas. Except this is no spot-on hurricane - COVID-19 is the entire country.

When this heater did not show up on the original delivery schedule, I talked with both the seller and the Amazon representative. Both of their mannerisms were thick with the message, "Don't worry - [this] will all be over within 72 hours, I promise you" but neither of them would say exactly what [this] was, that thing which was disrupting Amazon's entire infrastructure. I suspect it was virus relief work, from their loaded tones of voice. It wasn't normal demand, even with panic buying. I saw one courier truck in the past 5 days (my dog barks at them religiously, so I know when they are on our street). The delivery trucks have been conspicuous by their absence.

^^ Totally speculative, but *if* FEMA was going to tap a private-sector network to help perform a staging function nationwide, whose network would they likely use? Amazon's, because it is gargantuan in its size and reach.

Anyway, I haven't fired this device up yet, but this is what comes in the box:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
<< pounds head on desk >>

Apparently the panic buying has extended to organic vapor cartridges also - I'm having trouble finding 3M 6001s (there are a few for sale, but prices are very high). Because maybe if panic buyers cannot find any of those precious N95 particulate masks, they figure they'll opt for full-on VOC control instead?!

Talk about taking a sledgehammer to a tweezers issue.

Still lining up ways to keep busy, a month or so ago, I found a solid cedar wardrobe in a Goodwill ReStore. All six sides are thick wide-plank cedar, even the back side. Not a scrap of laminate or plywood in it. Refinished antiques of similar quality are five to ten times what I paid, so all I need to do is refinish it for the camp shack, to hold spill-over of extra clothing beyond what the Interstate can hold.

But, removing 70-plus years of rancid varnish requires stripping, which requires VOC control.

Normally, I'm Ms.-Over-The-Top-Ready-For-Anything, but I had to let other issues take priority so far this year, due to schedules beyond my control. Now I'm stymied this way and that way, when presented with a crisis that I knew was coming.

Old 03-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Dayton , Montana
Our migration

Our 2017 GT Tommy may become a moving bubble. We migrate in spring and fall. We usually do boondocking camping and use State Parks. A 1400 mile migration back to Montana might be thought of as irresponsible? We are over 65 and would need to fuel up with diesel but could avoid other contact? Maybe some propane may be needed because of the need for the generator.

Is anyone else having these thoughts about how to safely move about? Will our mobility be restricted in the coming days?

I miss Montana.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DJI_0779.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	363409  
Pez Vela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:41 PM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez Vela View Post
A 1400 mile migration back to Montana might be thought of as irresponsible?
Not in the slightest. However, in the current infection-wary paradigm, folks who used to mosey along at a mere 200 miles a day may want to drive as far in one day as they safely can, even if they're not in much of a hurry, just to minimize the number of stops they need to make.
Quote:
We are over 65 and would need to fuel up with diesel but could avoid other contact?
Pay-at-the-pump is your friend. No social interaction except angry words exchanged with an uppity fuel pump.
Quote:
Maybe some propane may be needed because of the need for the generator.
Definitely some propane. The cold weather isn't completely over for the year, so fuel for the furnace is likely to be needed. I've got a trip planned to Arkansas later this week, and temps are predicted to dip into the 30s a couple of nights. I can't imagine Montana is going to be a lot warmer than that in the next couple of weeks.
Quote:
Is anyone else having these thoughts about how to safely move about? Will our mobility be restricted in the coming days?
I wouldn't worry about travel restrictions until they start closing airports— but I personally don't think it will come to that. Airports as travel hubs pack in a lot of people in a small space, in the terminals as well as on the planes, and then spread them all hither and yon— mostly yon because you don't need a plane to travel hither. Which makes airports a prime incubation lab if the virus runs rampant. So if travel is going to be restricted, that's where it will be restricted first. United Airlines may have cut their flights by 50%, but that was voluntary on their part, not ordered by any civil authority, and other airlines have yet to follow suit. So that doesn't really count as travel restrictions (yet). We Airstreamers shouldn't have any trouble traveling in ones and twos, even clear across the country, until and unless the whole country grinds to a screeching halt.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:42 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
There are rumors - at this point just rumors - about interstate (small 'i', meaning the 50 states) travel becoming modulated at some point.

Why even mention this?? Because that particular rumor originated with the petrochemical plant workers pool rather than some horse's-butt conspiracy-pusher. We in southeast Texas trade a heck of a lot of human resource talent with southwest Louisiana. Some people drive daily or weekly from their home state to jobs on the other side of the border, in Lake Charles or greater Port Arthur. How did that notion even get onto their radar, and could it ever happen?? Who knows, but one thing is clear - there is no script for our present situation.

Personally I *like* the idea of the Interstate (capital 'i') being one's mode of self-isolation - in fact, that's partially what I'm working toward with respect to our camp shack, so I can isolate there at least part time over the next several months.

I just don't know if the rest of the world would also see that kind of travel as a viable mode of social distancing. They might come to view a moving live-in vehicle as a potential vector instead.

For the moment, it's not my plan to leave Texas. The rest is 'wait and see' for me.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:01 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Dayton , Montana
Our Migration

I can get on US HWY 93 in Wickenburg, Arizona and stay on it to Dayton, Montana. That leaves out Phoenix and Salt Lake but leaves Las Vegas in play.
I am concerned about "shelter in place" (San Francisco) orders that will be spreading.

I would usually wait until second week in April to leave Southern Arizona for our annual migration but........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8022.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	472.9 KB
ID:	363415  
Pez Vela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:37 PM   #27
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Short hide

Off to Inks Lake State Park tomorrow. It was chock full with spring breakers, but someone canceled. I have site 227 on the periphery of the park. Plenty of space around all sites, but this one has lots of space.

I won't take the Fiesta since Inks is pretty remote and I would not use the car.

Next week, 2 days at Blanco SP.

Airstream Region and International rallies canceled. Two unit rallies on the books, but I expect cancellations any time.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Airstream Region and International rallies canceled. Two unit rallies on the books, but I expect cancellations any time.
I have not heard the official word from TAHI, but my money's on them following in lockstep with the national leadership. I cannot see it any other way, given the timeframe.

This is not supposed to be a camping thread, as there already is an active COVID-19 camping thread, but "movement" does not equal "camping" - one can be moving on the road for reasons other than camping.

The federal government today did announce that interstate (small 'i') movement curtailment is not off the table (via Reuters and probably other sources). For those of you whose activities might involve social distancing across state lines, this is a possibility to be weighed.

I was nervous about repeating the rumor in the post above, but the source was unusually strong. It's not necessarily a rumor. I plan to remain in my home state because, for me, the risks associated with potentially being caught in another state don't outweigh the benefits of that type of movement.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:11 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
They do for my cat. She will lay quietly on her back between my leg and the couch arm while I trim all of her claws with a trimmer that restricts the length of the cut. That saves the chairs in our home, as well.

I have to admit that she is exceptional to allow me to do that.

You should pay better attention. Looks like you got her tail in the clippers one time by mistake.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:07 PM   #30
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
You should pay better attention. Looks like you got her tail in the clippers one time by mistake.
She is registered Pixie-Bob; the "Bob" describing the tail. Bred to resemble the bobcats in the northwest. #12 of energy. Hard to catch her still.
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-17-2020, 04:14 PM   #31
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I have not heard the official word from TAHI, but my money's on them following in lockstep with the national leadership. I cannot see it any other way, given the timeframe.
Heard from our unit President a minute ago. Board meeting tomorrow by phone and she expects to cancel both TAHI and the next rally. I called today and cancelled my reservation at Rockport.
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-17-2020, 06:04 PM   #32

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I will be towing a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited from now on. It's heavier, but still (barely) within my non-EXT Interstate's towing capacity and GCWR.
Eugene the Jeep is (finally) ready to roll as a toad, and I just got back from towing it for the first time.

As expected, since the Jeep is heavier than the Honda Fit that I used to tow, I did take a hit on my Interstate's fuel economy while towing. Not too bad, though. Towing the Jeep at 60 mph (the same speed I used to tow the Honda), I get about 1.4 mpg less than when I was towing the Honda over the same terrain. I can tow the Jeep faster than that (and it tows nicely at 70 mph, in fact) but fuel economy drops severely to get that extra 10 mph. For me, the trade-off isn't worth it.

Not expected— though I should have expected it— towing the Jeep in a stiff crosswind, there is a slight "tail wagging the dog" effect, because the boxy Jeep Wrangler Unlimited is even less streamlined than the Interstate, and catches the wind really well. Otherwise the Jeep was very well-behaved, and tracked well behind the Interstate.

Just to cover all of my bases in case of a brake malfunction, I even disconnected the Jeep's supplemental brake system temporarily, and tried stopping both vehicles using just the Interstate's brakes, from 60 to 0. Naturally there was an increase in stopping distance, but I was relieved to see that the Interstate's brakes could easily stop 14,000+ pounds if necessary. But I wouldn't make a habit of it.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Boise , Idaho
As the former owner of 3 MGBs, I am happy to see you still persist in owning one. Loved their simplicity and of course the ride. I sold my last one about 6 years ago, but I owned one or another from 1969 til the last sale. It was a sorted 1964 with some serious updates, including electric overdrive. “Safety Fast” my brother!
billsargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:37 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

spartanburg , South Carolina
The reason you have not received your order from Amazon is because they have converted all their shipping to medical supplies, etc. for controlling this virus. I asked today about the US Postal Service and was told they will not be shutting down so maybe you can locate your items where they can be shipped USPS.
patriciaphal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:04 PM   #35

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciaphal View Post
The reason you have not received your order from Amazon is because they have converted all their shipping to medical supplies, etc. for controlling this virus. I asked today about the US Postal Service and was told they will not be shutting down so maybe you can locate your items where they can be shipped USPS.
On the other hand, the last two (non-medical-supply) orders I placed with Amazon in the past week— that were both shipped by UPS— both arrived a day ahead of schedule!
Old 03-19-2020, 08:43 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Day dawns in the woods. I eloped from greater Houston to rural Texas yesterday afternoon, to get out and about while I still have the ability, given that there are so many unknowns facing us.

The first thing local people wanted to know when I arrived:

What are conditions like in Houston right now? It surprised me to learn that they are not getting that kind of perspective in the news.

Answer:

About 20% of normal traffic on the freeways. I was able to decamp during rush hour, drive completely across the metro of 7 million people, and meet zero traffic slow-downs. That is only possible during disasters, of which this happens to be Houston's 4th in 15 years (count 'em: the 2005 H. Rita evacuation, which was the largest in American history; 2008 H. Ike, 2017 H. Harvey, and now 2020's "Hurricane COVID-19" which promises to be the longest and most devastating of them all).

Related point that is not adequately being made in the media IMO:

N95 masks do not suddenly become totally useless after 8 hours of being in service. OSHA itself makes that observation.

Of course it would be most effective to have a fresh one available as often as possible, but that is not going to happen right now. You can extend their use, but you should be careful to handle them with kid gloves, avoiding dirt, moisture, crushing, etc. Mine has a place of honor in my rig this morning - right next to my morning tea:

(And Edit - for the sake of responsibility, perhaps I should stress that we have an off-grid van, and I can get up and back to Houston without ever contacting a single soul).

Old 03-21-2020, 01:03 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
The first mod I make is to change to MaxxAir fans. I think they are a big improvement.

I carry a sun shower. Also very effective.
I have heard good things about MaxxAir fans, but don't have any personal experience with them. I regret the disappearance of the SurFlo fan which was/is far superior to the Fantastic Fan. I bought a Fantastic Fan a while back when it had a reputation worth having. I waited a couple years before installing it, and if I had it to do over knowing the Fantastic Fan would be bought out and the almost lifetime warranty would go away, I probably would have done it differently.

For now, the fans work ok and I have other things I would change. Hope your time is effectively spent.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:14 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Sanctuary View Post
I have heard good things about MaxxAir fans, but don't have any personal experience with them. I regret the disappearance of the SurFlo fan which was/is far superior to the Fantastic Fan. I bought a Fantastic Fan a while back when it had a reputation worth having. I waited a couple years before installing it, and if I had it to do over knowing the Fantastic Fan would be bought out and the almost lifetime warranty would go away, I probably would have done it differently.

For now, the fans work ok and I have other things I would change. Hope your time is effectively spent.

I really like the two Maxxair 7000 fans I installed two years ago. However, they both were acting weird this spring and one failed. After a bunch of investigation I found that their control boards don’t like to see more than 13.6 volts and my solar system sometime puts out 15 volts for short periods (I leave the system powered in storage). I like the fans so much that I ordered (2) new control boards and a Victron DC regulator for the fan circuit to protect the new boards (limit voltage to12.2vClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8016.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	363770. I’ll report back when installed. AirExcel (Maxxair builder) has great customer service I might add but then so does Fantastic. The reasons I like the Maxxair: can run in the rain, 10 speeds, low is silent, in/out or circulate settings, auto temp controls including on/off and speed control. If it were me and the fantastic is working, I’d wait.

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote