Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 2020 And Newer Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2022, 07:00 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Pinehurst , North Carolina
I believe the 2021 models have a converter that has a lithium setting…my 2020 did not and had to be replaced. Check to make sure. Since lithiums have a relatively steady voltage, I would recommend that you also include a battery monitor so you can tell the remaining battery capacity. They cost about $300. Other equipment can be added later as needed according to you camping needs (solar panels, solar charge controller, upgraded inverter, etc).
Jay22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:38 AM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonediggy View Post
I have a 2021 Caravel 22FB and am looking to do a phased setup because I can't afford all this equipment at once. If I buy 2 battle born batteries is the stock converter sufficient or do I need to buy that as well?
Hi

It very much depends on exactly which "stock converter" AS put in your trailer. It might be and it might not be. The only way to know is to go look at the model number on the converter that your trailer happened to get on the week it rumbled down the production line.

If it is the lithium compatible converter you will need to set it so it now runs in lithium mode. The old lead acid converter and the stock setting on the lithium one are both a really bad idea for lithiums.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 12:06 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
Atlanta , Georgia
Good info! One more question if you don't mind.

The other thing I plan on doing is to add a Renogy 60 watt dc to dc charger. I had some concerns after buying it because I noticed that the wfco 8950l2 MBA is a 50 amp unit. Is the Renogy 60 watt going to be too much? I asked the Renogy guys and they were not concerned. They have a 20 amp and 40 amp model. Do you think I should go with the other models to be safe or do you think I am ok?
bonediggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:33 AM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Good info! One more question if you don't mind.

The other thing I plan on doing is to add a Renogy 60 watt dc to dc charger. I had some concerns after buying it because I noticed that the wfco 8950l2 MBA is a 50 amp unit. Is the Renogy 60 watt going to be too much? I asked the Renogy guys and they were not concerned. They have a 20 amp and 40 amp model. Do you think I should go with the other models to be safe or do you think I am ok?
Hi

As mentioned in another thread that also is running on this topic, a 60A DC/DC will be fine for the batteries. They will not be damaged by it. The battery side wiring should be fine.

Getting power from your tow vehicle *to* a 60A DC/DC is going to be a major hassle. Do you plan on putting in a second alternator to run the DC/DC? Something
in the < 18A range is a much easier install.

Bob
Old 04-10-2022, 04:23 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
Atlanta , Georgia
Thanks Bob. I looked at my alternator and the max tow package for the 2020 jeep gladiator came with an upgraded 240 amp alternator. From what I read, I think I should be ok. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.!
Old 04-11-2022, 06:37 AM   #26
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Thanks Bob. I looked at my alternator and the max tow package for the 2020 jeep gladiator came with an upgraded 240 amp alternator. From what I read, I think I should be ok. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.!
Hi

Do you plan to put in custom wires and connectors to feed it?

The typical AS van comes with a 320A alternator. Folks have fried them in the past putting in lithium setups. Just how much "spare" capacity you have is never very clear.

Bob
Old 04-25-2022, 08:17 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
Atlanta , Georgia
Hi Bob,

I ran 4 awg wire and installed a 100 ANL fuse for the starter battery. It then runs to the back of the truck and terminates with an Anderson connector. For the trailer, I have an Anderson connector that goes to the Renogy 60 Watt Dc to DC converter and then to a Victron Lynx Distributor with a 100 amp fuse. Do you think this is sufficient? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-26-2022, 04:05 AM   #28
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Hi Bob,

I ran 4 awg wire and installed a 100 ANL fuse for the starter battery. It then runs to the back of the truck and terminates with an Anderson connector. For the trailer, I have an Anderson connector that goes to the Renogy 60 Watt Dc to DC converter and then to a Victron Lynx Distributor with a 100 amp fuse. Do you think this is sufficient? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Hi

One question would be about the Anderson connector. They really are not designed for this sort of application. They are not watertight / dirt tight. They also are not intended for high vibration applications. As they wear, they do indeed start to fall apart ( = not stay connected ). I have a lot of empirical data on this.

Next up is still the rating on the vehicle alternator. I'd try to find some specs on your version of truck to see what the available current actually is. Alternator ratings tend to be a bit "marketing driven ....".

Bob
Old 06-12-2023, 09:26 AM   #29

2022 20' Caravel
Wake Forest , NC
Lithium in Caravel 20FB

Just got done upgrading AGM to Lithium batteries. I purchased the Self Heating Renogy 100AH batteries. My model year is 2022, and the charger does both 12V and 14V, small dip switch on the fuse box board. Since I was only installing 2 batteries I keep them in the outside battery compartment. It took an hour to ensure I had all of the 8 connections installed properly. I also installed the Renogy BT-2 Bluetooth transmitter, and now I can see the batteries on my phone. THere is a Youtube video where they installed more than 2 batteries, and put them inside the main body under the bed.

I hope you had good luck, since this was back in 2021.
zuberobert is offline   Reply With Quote