Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2020, 07:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
POMPANO BEACH , FL
Thinking About Upgrading to 2021 GT

Currently have a 25' 2007 Safari and just got back from camping and realized that we probably need to get a new AS since our existing one is getting long in the tooth. Living in Florida beats the heck out of the aluminum since it gets oxidized by the salt air.

Since this was our first AS, we learned a lot about maintenance and have certainly made our fair share of mistakes with it. Foremost of which was not getting it detailed when we first got it on a regular basis, which allowed a lot of oxidation.

We are thinking about getting a new Globetrotter 25' Twin. It is pretty much identical to what we have, but we want to get this one with the newer color package: coastal cove. Has anyone ordered, or taken delivery of a GT with this color? I know they were rolling out the International and the Flying Cloud with this but wasn't sure when they currently have it for the GT.

We want the unit with two a/c's. I'm a bit afraid of the new water heater after reading all the comments on this site. There doesn't seem to be too many other options to add. I don't think we will need solar, since we don't see ourselves camping off the grid.
Tropicgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Well the good news is you will enjoy any new Airstream given your experience. If you're on the fence about the water heater, you could consider a gently used late model Globetrotter but you won't get the color you want.

We considered a 25 Twin but the cost difference at the time was only $4K to move up to a 2019 27'. The extra space in the larger pantry with a pull out microwave, and double wide wardrobe plus another 6" in the galley really makes a difference. Towing difference is negligible if at all noticeable.

Good luck with your decision!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
How much does it cost to do a restoration/remodeling of the used unit? If it is paid for it is a wonderful thing. Have you thought about what you could do to your present unit for say $30,000? Just wondering.
Daquenzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:48 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
POMPANO BEACH , FL
We actually were considering doing that, but we are going to be retiring and my husband who has to do all the work would rather work on his boat and not have two major maintenance items (not including our house). This is my gift to him :-)
Old 10-23-2020, 10:17 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
Costal Cove is only available in the International series. Globetrotters are available with either Walnut or Natural Elm woods, and two options for upholstery.

https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...tter/features/

_Nathan
extranrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:39 AM   #6
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
I don’t think any amount of detailing will stop or reduce the onset of filiform corrosion (assuming that is what you mean by oxidation), especially for those of us who use our trailers anywhere other than a dry desert.

You might be surprised what can be done with your 2007 for less $$ than a new purchase less trade/sale of the existing.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:17 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
POMPANO BEACH , FL
I just looked up filiform corrosion and my husband has a lot of reading to do
Old 10-23-2020, 02:44 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
POMPANO BEACH , FL
OK -- Now my husband wants to look at the 27'

I mentioned the recommendation of going to 27', and now my husband is on board. I think that would max us out due to zoning in my city (we park it in our driveway).

I'm just concerned that he isn't the best of drivers (great at going forward, it's the backing up that's the problem).

I guess if you are going to do it, just jump in...
Old 10-23-2020, 02:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Before you get swept up in the thrill and anticipation of a new vehicle, read more of the recent posts about quality coming out of Jackson Center. Seems like it may be potluck, but if your trailer has good bones, you could do a very nice overhaul for far less than a new trailer. Find a place to take it and don't put that burden on him.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:48 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
POMPANO BEACH , FL
I'm completely bummed about that. I guess I just assumed that A/S would come out with the same colors on the GT.

My husband thinks the quality of the GT is worth compromising on the finishes. Everything does look better finished out. Not sure if that is correct though.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Tropicgal, you might be happy with the International in the Costal Cove versus the Globetrotter if that’s the color scheme that grabbed your attention.

Honestly I don’t think you can go wrong with either!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
New GT

Something to consider is that the new Airstreams, with the exception of the Flying Cloud line, all have the Zipdee "Relax" power awning. The name "Relax" is really not the best considering the amount of problems, failures, and general complication of a simple awning.

The manual awning, as you know, takes about 1 minute to deploy or retract. It always works. The power awnings not so much. That is one of the main reasons we bought a 2019 FC 25 RBT when we replaced our 2017 International Serenity. The Serenity had the power awning with no option to delete it.

The tankless water heater is a no go for us also. Unfortunately it is supplied across all the Airstream models. Think we will stick with our 2019 FC 25 RBT.

Either way, good luck with your new or newer Airstream or a complete update of your current Airstream.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:23 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
POMPANO BEACH , FL
Still Figuring it Out

So we've gone back and forth and continued to do our reading, and now we are realizing we need the Dodge Ram 2500 so we can feel comfortable in the mountains. We have gone back and forth between the 25 and the 27' GT. Egad, decisions are hard. We have settled on the 25 since we have issues with putting it in our driveway when we are home and also it will give us more flexibility at older campsites.

This time we have a lot more experience so it is easier to know what you want and don't want. We definitely do not want to have an underpowered truck. We currently have a Tundra, which is OK in South Florida where everything is flat, however, we want to go to the mountains in GA and NC. Our friend who knows everything about towing recommended the RAM 2500 4x4 with the diesel Cummins. My first choice was Tesla, but evidently stopping is a thing

We are also figuring out that we want to be able to haul a generator so we can do boondocking. Probably the Generac 3000.

For the hitch, definitely will be going with the Hensley hitch. I just watched the video again, and I think it would have solved some issues we have had previously.

Anyhow, it doesn't look like there are a lot of used 2020 Globetrotters with Barcelano Blue interior, so we probably are going to have to order one. It appears that they run about 6 months to get in.

Does anyone know if you can order it without the hot water heater so we can get a gas powered one added after market? The instant on-demand looks like it sucks, for want of a better word.

Any other advice?

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2020, 02:48 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicgal View Post
So we've gone back and forth and continued to do our reading, and now we are realizing we need the Dodge Ram 2500 so we can feel comfortable in the mountains. We have gone back and forth between the 25 and the 27' GT. Egad, decisions are hard. We have settled on the 25 since we have issues with putting it in our driveway when we are home and also it will give us more flexibility at older campsites.

This time we have a lot more experience so it is easier to know what you want and don't want. We definitely do not want to have an underpowered truck. We currently have a Tundra, which is OK in South Florida where everything is flat, however, we want to go to the mountains in GA and NC. Our friend who knows everything about towing recommended the RAM 2500 4x4 with the diesel Cummins. My first choice was Tesla, but evidently stopping is a thing

We are also figuring out that we want to be able to haul a generator so we can do boondocking. Probably the Generac 3000.

For the hitch, definitely will be going with the Hensley hitch. I just watched the video again, and I think it would have solved some issues we have had previously.

Anyhow, it doesn't look like there are a lot of used 2020 Globetrotters with Barcelano Blue interior, so we probably are going to have to order one. It appears that they run about 6 months to get in.

Does anyone know if you can order it without the hot water heater so we can get a gas powered one added after market? The instant on-demand looks like it sucks, for want of a better word.

Any other advice?

Thanks!
If I’ve learned anything about the internet, it would be this... take what you read with a grain of salt. I wouldn’t worry about that water heater. I’m guessing that you will figure it out and that it will be fine.
Get your Globetrotter, debug it and have a blast with it!
Old 11-05-2020, 12:41 PM   #15
Lobber of midgets

2021 25' Globetrotter
2022 28' Pottery Barn
Springfield , Missouri
We have the exact trailer you'll be ordering. It's a 2021 GT 25fbt in Barcelona blue. IMHO the tankless hot water heater is awesome. Never ran out of hot water taking a shower, It's great. Now we don't boondock a lot so if you plan to do that there is a slight delay in hot water. Your going to enjoy an airstream regardless.
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
On the generator...if you are looking at a construction site generator be aware that they are super LOUD and prohibited most places.

For a good review and info on generators, you can check out the Long Long Honeymoon video on You Tube.

You will likely want an inverter generator.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:27 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Arkansas
We took delivery of our 2021 Globetrotter last week and couldn’t be happier. We are currently on our inaugural trip and couldn’t be happier with the new style refrigerator. Only issue to report is it cools too well. Adjusted down from five to three and the compressor system is really efficient. We had a solar package installed at the dealership and it is working great. Pulling her with a F250 diesel and she pulls like a dream. As far as generators go, we converted two honda 2200i’s and operate off of LP port. Running together they power the entire trailer Highly recommend the Globetrotter Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0703.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	587.1 KB
ID:	382839Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0704.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	491.0 KB
ID:	382840
Kjmmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:35 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
POMPANO BEACH , FL
Question regarding the generators

Thanks for the information on the generators. Can you run both A/Cs with the generator or do you have to run only one A/C?

Also, did you upgrade the A/C capacitors to easy start? Asking for my husband :-)
2010 Toyota Tundra
2020 RAM 2500 4x4 w/ Diesel Cummins on order
Old 11-15-2020, 07:12 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicgal View Post
Thanks for the information on the generators. Can you run both A/Cs with the generator or do you have to run only one A/C?

Also, did you upgrade the A/C capacitors to easy start? Asking for my husband :-)

We did upgrade the capacitor to easy start We only have one AC and it works fine. Yes we are in Texas and it is hot, but we plan to boondock mainly in the cooler months
Kjmmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:21 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
POMPANO BEACH , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjmmcc View Post
We took delivery of our 2021 Globetrotter last week and couldn’t be happier. We are currently on our inaugural trip and couldn’t be happier with the new style refrigerator. Only issue to report is it cools too well. Adjusted down from five to three and the compressor system is really efficient. We had a solar package installed at the dealership and it is working great. Pulling her with a F250 diesel and she pulls like a dream. As far as generators go, we converted two honda 2200i’s and operate off of LP port. Running together they power the entire trailer Highly recommend the Globetrotter Attachment 382839Attachment 382840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjmmcc View Post
We did upgrade the capacitor to easy start We only have one AC and it works fine. Yes we are in Texas and it is hot, but we plan to boondock mainly in the cooler months
Thanks for letting me know. We are in South Florida, and there are no cool months, just less hot ones. :-)
2010 Toyota Tundra
2020 RAM 2500 4x4 w/ Diesel Cummins on order