Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2019, 11:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Solar Panel Arrangement with Dual AC

For those of you with dual ACs, how do you have your solar panels arranged?

We are upgrading from a 23D FC to a 25FB GT with the dual ACs, but I'm becoming quite concerned that our existing flexible panels won't fit on the 25 and would love to see how others do it, and if you have dimensions of your panels, even better. PHOTOS ARE MORE THAN APPRECIATED!!
Old 06-16-2019, 12:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I just have a single AC on my 25’ but this may help. These are the Renogy Eclipse glass panels.

I wouldn’t use flexible panels personally due to their short life. This might be a good time to switch?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0CD70E6F-E71F-4BC3-9A70-772A81803645.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	343487  
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:37 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
I just have a single AC on my 25’ but this may help. These are the Renogy Eclipse glass panels.

I wouldn’t use flexible panels personally due to their short life. This might be a good time to switch?

Dale, that’s absolutely fantastic! That’s exactly what I was hoping for, I have confidence now that we’ll have room, even with the second unit! I do find it interesting that your rear fantastic fan cover is smoked, and the front is black! We were concerned about missing the second FF, including for the light that it provides through the rig! But we are definitely going to swap the black for smoke for the single, rear FF.

I didn’t know that about the life of the flexible panels! Ours are still going strong for about three years now, but when it comes time to expand or eventually replace we will be looking at the rigid panels too. I have been finding folks using VHB for their install and that’s much more assuring, being that this was the reason I went flexible in the first place: no holes!
Old 06-16-2019, 09:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Yes most folks, including AMSolar and Lewster, install solid solar panels with VHB tape and Silkaflex so that’s what I used as well.

If you are thinking of expanding your system, and doing it in a series/parallel arrangement so you can use the pre-wires, you’ll want the panels to all be the same. Less of an issue if you go all-parallel.

The cost of the panels is low compared to the pain of having to switch them later.

Here’s a video on flexible panels and their life.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieMac13 View Post
I do find it interesting that your rear fantastic fan cover is smoked, and the front is black! We were concerned about missing the second FF, including for the light that it provides through the rig! But we are definitely going to swap the black for smoke for the single, rear FF.
Our Flying Cloud didn’t come with vent covers so we chose to put black in the bedroom and smoke in dining area. I’m not sure I’d bother switching out black for smoke if yours already comes equipped. There isn’t that much difference in light production. With the wraparound windows in these units front and back they are a LOT brighter than your previous unit. I’ve never felt lacking for light, that’s for sure. It really is glorious and one of the reasons we chose the 25’ over smaller ones.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #6
Still Learning

2013 25' International
Benzonia , Michigan
Vent covers

25ft International w/2 fans, 1ac. First owner installed smoke MaxAir covers, one of our covers cracked. We replaced both with white MaxAir2 covers and were please with the extra light the white ones let in.
trailerKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:25 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
Yes most folks, including AMSolar and Lewster, install solid solar panels with VHB tape and Silkaflex so that’s what I used as well.

If you are thinking of expanding your system, and doing it in a series/parallel arrangement so you can use the pre-wires, you’ll want the panels to all be the same. Less of an issue if you go all-parallel.

The cost of the panels is low compared to the pain of having to switch them later.

Here’s a video on flexible panels and their life.

Oh wow, I remember watching this video back when I got my panels in 2017! I would agree, they get dingy looking and I actually got mine cheaper than equivalent models. But I will be considering the sturdy models when it's time to upgrade (since they're still working like new and I'll be damned if I didn't spend a solid hour and a half carefully removing them along with sealing the ridiculous holes that Airstream Adventures Northwest put in to screw the panels down, which then leaked like crazy, EVEN THOUGH I PUT IN THE PAPERWORK "DO NOT SCREW PANELS". Don't worry, I'm not salty about it at all).
Old 06-17-2019, 01:42 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerKat View Post
25ft International w/2 fans, 1ac. First owner installed smoke MaxAir covers, one of our covers cracked. We replaced both with white MaxAir2 covers and were please with the extra light the white ones let in.
Oh, that's good to know! In our current 23D FC we have the two fans, and once I installed the Maxxair 2 covers, I actually removed the blue lid and held on to it. For about two years, when it got too cold out we just used a square of insulation and placed it up to keep more heat in. The interesting thing is that because there was (albeit minor) airflow, the condensation actually decreased significantly in the winter! Never a leak or issue, which is fantastic. I think we're going to do the same thing, especially because the smoked cover seems much more appealing if it's not having to filter light through the blue cover as well.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
There's several "slim" type rigid panels on the market that may help you to fit panels along side the A/C units. Including the Renogy 100W slim panels that are a tad longer, but 1-2" narrower at 19.7" which may make all the difference.

In your situation, the trick is to mount the panels while avoiding shadows, especially oblique shadows from the A/C shrouds as much as possible. So one doesn't want to mount the panels immediately alongside, but perhaps 2-4" away if at all possible.

Also wire in all parallel fashion such that if there is shadows, the impact is minimized to that immediate panel.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:42 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
I’ll check those out! The slimmer panels seem like a good option here! And to be honest, I’m completely new to electrical work here. I had the dealership (on both rigs) connect the wiring from the box at the top, to a charge controller, and then to the batteries. However, I simply take one panel from the MC4 connector to SAE and then into one port, and then the same to another port. Is there a better way to do this? Still learning a lot about all of this!
Old 06-18-2019, 02:42 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Sherwood Park , Alberta
4 x Zamp 90 W panels

My 2019 came with the solar package pre-installed. I've recently upgraded, adding two more panels and changing to a series-parallel configuration. Here are my pictures.

The panels at the back were factory installed. They are a bit close to the AC for my liking due to possibility of shadows. I'll probably move them outward at some point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9626.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	446.2 KB
ID:	343712   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9627.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	336.6 KB
ID:	343713  

Omnial is offline   Reply With Quote