Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2020, 03:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Hate the flooring.

We’ve had our ‘19 GT 27FB since last October, full time in it. We. Hate. The. Floor... we don’t like the color or the texture. It looks dirty no matter what we do. We have almost the entire floor covered with runners, it still gets filthy. The dealer reglued the floor as it was bubbling when we purchased it last year. So pulling the floor up is probably not an option. We are wondering if some sort of peel and stick vinyl would be a solution to just cover it up. Has anyone tried that? Would the texture prevent the adhesive from sticking?
PamK53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
In our vintage trailer we used FLOR carpet tiles and we love them. Would lay over your floor easily. Easy to install and if you spill a ginormous cup of coffee on it you can remove a square and clean it outside if you have to. We just put it where the exposed floor is- it is not in closets or under bed etc to minimize weight.
Old 07-25-2020, 04:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
PamK53, we couldn't agree more! I'm assuming you have the walnut interior / white floor? I fixed some of the floor ripples but now there's another in the galley/lounge area.

I scheduled an appointment in Jackson Center for a punch list of items, floor included. I would gladly pay them to replace the floor with something else, even the one from the GT Elm interior. I'm going to talk to Service before the October appointment to see if that's an option.

If not, I'm prepared to replace it with something like Armstrong's Vinyl Plank. We installed this product in our laundry room and basement bathroom. It's intended for below grade installations, imperviousness to water and has been very durable.

I played with Armstrong's design tool using a photo of our GT. I'm retired now and have the time but would prefer to have Airstream do the job.

-Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 4.48.52 PM.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	373981   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3277.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	664.6 KB
ID:	373982  

WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
When Airstream Jackson Center does the job I suspect they’ll want to pull out all the cabinets and put down single sheet material as that’s how it’s made originally. Many folks have done as you suggest and used planking over the current floor. You do have to be careful to get material with low thermal expansion given the extremes in a trailer. Otherwise you could see buckling.

Searching around Airforums you’ll find many threads on doing this.

Also it does add weight, I’d guess 100lbs.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote